Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets (foo_facets) (Read 778408 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #475
Hello.  I can't get the 'Ignore leading "The" when sorting' option to work.  All of my tags user lowercase everything, if that matters.  Does it also ignore a's and an's?  Is there a way to apply it to only certain columns (I might want the artist column to ignore "the" but not the album column)?  Any help is appreciated.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #476
I can't get the 'Ignore leading "The" when sorting' option to work.  All of my tags user lowercase everything, if that matters.

Yes, that matters as it's case-sensitive.

Does it also ignore a's and an's?

No, it does not.

Is there a way to apply it to only certain columns (I might want the artist column to ignore "the" but not the album column)?

No, there isn't per column settings for the option.

If the tags in question have single values, then you can manipulate them fairly easily with title formatting. If multi-value tags are involved, then as I noted in this post, you may have to manipulate the individual values to obtain what you want. Bear in mind as I stated in that post, if you manipulate individual values as illustrated there, foobar cannot do remapping when tags aren't present.

The Title Formatting Reference is here.

[RANT]
I really wish people would format their tags how they want them to display (and bear the consequences) or start using sort tags instead of trying to manipulate their tags to the umpteenth degree with title formatting or expecting component developers to do it for them.
[/RANT OVER]

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #478
@Hazey You and me both as well as a few others. The creator of the plugin doesn't like the idea or finds it redundant, I can't remember so don't quote me.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #479
Online troubleshooter report about this:

foobar2000 troubleshooter
The following components found on your system are known to be problematic and should be either uninstalled or updated to their latest versions:

foo_facets.dll : Facets 1.0
Reason: Repeated crash reports.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #480
facets is essentially nonfunctional with 1.1.17 in my DUI setup.  I get a permanent deadlock, and CPU jumps to 50%, with no crash report every time I try to select any facets column when anything is playing.  Only way to get out of it is to kill the process.  I can navigate the facets columns and view the updated library selection playlist in Simplaylist without problems when nothing is playing.  I have not made any other layout or configuration changes recently other than updating to 1.1.17.  Removing and reinstalling facets after 1.1.17 install had no impact on the problem.  Reverting to 1.1.16 makes the problem go away for a time, but the same behavior can ocassionally now trigger the same crash.  Prior to 1.1.17, I don't recall seeing this crash with 1.1.16 or any other version, so one of the recent crashes may have corrupted something.  No idea if this is a facets or core issue, but I reported it here since the use of facets triggers the crashes.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #481
Hi there,

It would be great to have the possibilities to configure for the "Ignore leading "The" when sorting"

I really like this feature, but I'd like to be able to have the same behaviour with "Les, La, Die, Le".

I second this feature request. Especially as swap/strip commands are so inconsistently handled (e.g. fields with multiple values)

Perhaps instead of the "Ignore leading 'The'" checkbox, it is a field so one could enter multiple values to ignore?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #482
i think it would be really nice if it was possible to have a separate search bar. there are others you can install as components, but they will only work in the playlist, not the facets album view, right? or is it possible to have a search bar control the facets library?
(i want to have the search bar in a different place on the screen, not attached to the facets ui)

but regardless of that, thanks a lot for this, i can tel a lot of work has gone into it and it is very nice!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #484
i think it would be really nice if it was possible to have a separate search bar. .... or is it possible to have a search bar control the facets library?

Facets toolbar = search bar
Help: "Facets toolbar"

hmmm ok, so is it possible or not? maybe i do not understand you, or maybe you did not understand my question? thank for your taking your time to reply though, any help is appreciated

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #485
Is this project still alive?

Feature request: Reset button to reset all panels with one click.

Regards.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #486
If Frank Bicking is still around and willing to continue development, I would like to see loading of Facets changed... if Facets is not a panel in Default UI, every time you bring it up via Library menu > Facets, it has to reload from scratch.  I hope there's a way to make it stay loaded.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #487
If Frank Bicking is still around and willing to continue development, I would like to see loading of Facets changed... if Facets is not a panel in Default UI, every time you bring it up via Library menu > Facets, it has to reload from scratch.  I hope there's a way to make it stay loaded.

Related to this (in DUI) is that Facets reloads *every time* any writable change is made to an item.

e.g. changing a tag value or even renaming files.

It would be AWESOME if facets could maintain the location view at time of change, as currently whenever a change is made, it resets the view to the top of the list.

e.g. in an alphabetical example, if I edit something in the 'S's', after the change, I'm reverted back to seeing '#'s/A's' and must manually scroll back to my previous position.

(not to mention the delay as the entire thing is reloaded, which is considerable on large collections, which for me means a 6-10 sec pause for every little edit I make to my collection)
:|

[I've asked Santa, so we'll see if I've been good or not.]

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #488
How does one get the Various Artists to group together?

No matter which mode I put it under, the Compilation albums are split up under each artists so I'm getting the same album appearing 16 times in my list...is it possible to merge it?

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #489
How does one get the Various Artists to group together?

Make sure your various artist albums have an ALBUM ARTIST tag. The tag should be consistent for the album and could be VA, Various, Various Artists or whatever you prefer.

Alternatively, you could add an ITUNESCOMPILATION tag with a value of 1 to those files. foobar will automatically write "Various Artists" to the album artist tag.

Facets does not determine how the files are grouped in the playlist. This is determined by the group script you're using. I suggest changing %artist% to %album artist% in the script. You do not need to add an album artist tag to all of your albums for this, only your various artists albums. foobar will look for an album artist tag and upon not finding one will use the artist tag instead.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #490
Thank you Ben.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #491
When I add a few songs from Library to Playlist by drag-and-drop they are added in some strange order (I couldn't get the sorting pattern), not as they are sorted in Facets at the moment.
For example, I want to listen some artists favorite songs - I select this artist in Facets, then click on Played Count column header to sort them, then select let's say 20 top songs and drag them into playlist. When I do it songs are added in random order, so first one may be the song with 5 plays, 2nd - with 40 plays, 3rd - with 20 plays etc, not in decreasing order (40 -> 20 -> 5 -> ...) as they were displayed in Facets.
I don't know whether it is issue of Facets or SimPlaylist, which I use, but I hope someone could help me to find how to fix it, if it is possible.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #492
... then select let's say 20 top songs and drag them into playlist. When I do it songs are added in random order...
I don't know whether it is issue of Facets or SimPlaylist, which I use, but I hope someone could help me to find how to fix it, if it is possible.

Files are always sorted by the default sort as defined under Preferences > Shell Integration > Sort incoming files by when you add them to a playlist. That randomness isn't as random as it seems. Neither Facets nor Simplaylist has any effect on sorting in a playlist.

The solution for you is temporary sorting. Temporary sorts can be found in the right-click context menu under Sort (they can also be found via the main menu under Edit > Sort). In any case, select the files and in Sort select Sort by.... In the box that opens, enter %play_count% followed by any other criteria you want to affect the sort and click 'OK' to apply it.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #493
... then select let's say 20 top songs and drag them into playlist. When I do it songs are added in random order...

Files are always sorted by the default sort as defined under Preferences > Shell Integration > Sort incoming files by when you add them to a playlist. That randomness isn't as random as it seems. Neither Facets nor Simplaylist has any effect on sorting in a playlist.

The solution for you is temporary sorting. Temporary sorts can be found in the right-click context menu under Sort (they can also be found via the main menu under Edit > Sort). In any case, select the files and in Sort select Sort by.... In the box that opens, enter %play_count% followed by any other criteria you want to affect the sort and click 'OK' to apply it.

Thank you very much! This really helps.
I changed sort order to $sub(1000, %play_count%) so now it is sorting as I wanted - most played at top, less played - at bottom, when I add songs to playlist.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #494
When right-clicking on a facet filter entry, and selecting "send to new playlist", is there a way to have this newplaylist named the same thing as the filter entry (so for example if you have a filter with Genre, and right-click on the "Pop" entry -> "send to new playlist" it names the newly created playlist "Pop").

This behaviour is how ColumnsUI filters work.

Could this be incorporated or someone tell me a workaround?

Another issue regarding playlists is that using ColumnsUI there is a 'File' -> 'save all playlists' command, whereas in my current DefaultUI + Facets setup you can only save one playlist at a time?

Thanks in advance!

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #495
Can not help with the first. For second, Shift+File will give you a save all option.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #496
Many thanks tpijag! Spent days adding / removing components (without losing facets, or using columnsUI) to try and get that functionality!

Now if I can find a way to have the playlists that are created from the filters to be named without typing each one out then I will be able to fully migrate over to the latest foobar2000 with DUI+Facets! Hope someone can help me out on that!

Can not help with the first. For second, Shift+File will give you a save all option.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #497
When right-clicking on a facet filter entry, and selecting "send to new playlist", is there a way to have this newplaylist named the same thing as the filter entry (so for example if you have a filter with Genre, and right-click on the "Pop" entry -> "send to new playlist" it names the newly created playlist "Pop").

That behavior is how ColumnsUI filters work.

Not via a right-click. You can go into the Facets options and bind this behavior to a double or middle click.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #498
Thank you BenB!

I also found out that "send to new autoplaylist" after right-clicking on the filter entry creates an autoplaylist with the same name as the filter, which is fine for my purposes also.

So I'm all sorted now. Thanks all for the help!

That behavior is how ColumnsUI filters work.

Not via a right-click. You can go into the Facets options and bind this behavior to a double or middle click.

Facets (foo_facets)

Reply #499
What is Facets anyway and was is it for?

Please someone explain that to me!