Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar needlessly empties media library when network share down (Read 928 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar needlessly empties media library when network share down

I'm using New File Tagger to automatically apply ReplayGain data to music as it's added to my library, and although this solution is working well, a bug in foobar is also making it a regular annoyance.

My library is stored on my NAS. When my NAS is offline for any length of time, whether it's rebooting, updating firmware, being upgraded, or any number of other things, foobar sees that the watched folder no longer exists and empties my media library. Then, when my NAS returns, foobar re-adds the tens of thousands of items it removed, and New File Tagger happily begins needlessly retagging my entire collection.

Yeah, it'd be great if New File Tagger could be configured to only carry out its action if condition <x> is true (in this case, if the file doesn't already contain ReplayGain data), but ultimately, New File Tagger is doing its job and it's doing it correctly; the problem is that foobar is needlessly and routinely telling it my tens of thousands of songs are new.

I suggest that, if an entire watched folder no longer exists, assume that I didn't delete my entire library and just keep monitoring until it returns. Items should only be removed if:

• The folder still exists, but the items have been removed from it.
  • The folder is removed from the Media Library section of preferences.

Naturally, I'm running the latest foobar, v1.3.16.
/bw

Re: foobar needlessly empties media library when network share down

Reply #1
You may disable live watching per path in the Media Library settings: Right click or press your context menu key on a selection.

Live watching doesn't tend to work all that well with Samba powered shares anyway, due to lack of live monitoring interfaces to keep Windows happy. So pretty much all you get is the needless emptying and refilling of your library whenever the share mounts or dismounts.

Reply #2
You may disable live watching per path in the Media Library settings: Right click or press your context menu key on a selection.
I could, but disabling live watch would make the Media Library feature pointless. I want it to live watch -- I just want it to live watch correctly, as per my suggestion.

Live watching doesn't tend to work all that well with Samba powered shares anyway, due to lack of live monitoring interfaces to keep Windows happy.
And I've explained exactly how to crack that particular nut. Hopefully the developer takes note.
/bw

Reply #3
Would love to see a fix for this in v1.4. :)
/bw