Skip to main content
Topic: [Bug] fb2k volume can't be changed sometimes (Read 1969 times) previous topic - next topic

[Bug] fb2k volume can't be changed sometimes

Version: 1.3.16
Repro steps:
  • You need removable audio device (e.g. DAC) to reproduce the bug.
  • Plug-in removable audio device, launch fb2k.
  • Choose removable audio device as output interface (Preferences -> Output -> Device -> 'your removable audio device').
  • Close fb2k.
  • Disconnect your removable audio device.
  • Launch fb2k.
  • Plug-in removable audio device.
  • Try to change volume via fb2k (e.g. Mute, volume slider).
Actual Results: Volume does not change.
Expected Results: Volume changes.

Re: [Bug] fb2k volume can't be changed sometimes

Reply #1
I can reproduce this with my USB DAC. Seems to effect DS output, WASAPI doesn't seem to have the problem.

Version 1.3.16

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
Since volume interface is handled separately from the output with DirectSound (to support the Vista+ per-application volume control), there needs to be something to monitor device attach/detach cycles, and when the configured device is detected attached, reopen the volume control interface on it.

Reply #3
<snip> ... there needs to be something to monitor device attach/detach cycles, and when the configured device is detected attached, reopen the volume control interface on it.
Uhm, do you mean that such 'something' can't be/won't be implemented in fb2k?

Reply #4
No, I was making a note for Peter. He'll need to implement that watch interface in his DirectSound output code.

Reply #8
Why is the issue so important to you? Normally you would use the default output device and everything works as it should. I'd assume any changes here have very low priority on Peter's TODO-list.

Reply #9
Why is the issue so important to you? Normally you would use the default output device and everything works as it should. I'd assume any changes here have very low priority on Peter's TODO-list.
Almost every issue is important to someone somewhere, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue :P
In my case default output device is different from the one I want to use in fb2k. If I forget to turn on said device before launching fb2k the volume control will be broken and I have to relaunch fb2k, which is annoying.

I understand that this bug might be very low on Peter's todo list or it may be even in 'WONT-FIX' category, but it also might be in 'I'll fix it, if I remember to' or 'I've fixed it, but forgot to add it to changelog' categories. Because there was no response about the status of the bug, I can only guess which category it is, but since I'm so optimistic I decided that it belonged to 'I've fixed it, but forgot to add it to changelog' category, hence my status reports on every fb2k release =)

Reply #12
Sounds like it needs hotplug detection, as well as device matching, since hotplugs tend to result in a completely different device identifier, but sometimes the same name. All because your sound device tends to be unplugged before you start the player.

I have an external DAC, which also happens to be a studio microphone, all in a USB device. Blue Yeti. Works great. I don't tend to ever unplug it, though. And it doesn't have an on/off switch. It's also bus powered, so there's that.

Reply #13
Fixed for the next update, if we fail to initialize volume control on startup, we keep trying later. Thanks for reporting.

Reply #15
Did this break something else? I have a USB audio device with foobar2000 output device set to "DS: Primary Sound Driver". With 1.4b11 volume control stops working even though the device is plugged in the whole time. I haven't yet been able to isolate it further.

Reply #16
Did this break something else? I have a USB audio device with foobar2000 output device set to "DS: Primary Sound Driver". With 1.4b11 volume control stops working even though the device is plugged in the whole time. I haven't yet been able to isolate it further.
Could not reproduce this (neither with USB DAC nor with analog output), do you have any specific repro steps?

Reply #17
After a reboot this problem seems to have vanished. Really weird. Let's hope it stays this way.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018