Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: windows installer error (Read 1493 times) previous topic - next topic

windows installer error

I installed FB2k version 0.9.4.3 today and encountered an annoying error.  When trying to change from the default install location
  • [/size], the "Browse for Folder" dialog appears.  Then if I click on any directory the error dialog will immediately appear titled There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk in drive \device\harddisk1\DR2.  (Yes, drive C: does exists.)  I then have to click on Cancel.  Navigating to another branch, either by clicking or using the arrows produces the same error.  Once I got through all the clicking and placed fb2k where I wanted, it installed and runs fine. (I also got this when starting to install the previous 0.9.4.2 version before I downloaded the newer one.)

I suppose this needs to be entered as a bug, but I don't know where to do that.

I tried searching this site, but couldn't find any reference to this.  Also, I tried to search for a string as in "there is no disk in the drive", but this apparently does not work. The site reports:
    The error returned was:

One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed

I tried many other phrases.  The quotes are being ignored.  Am I doing it wrong?
    --
    winXP Home
    1G RAM

* - I don't install anything in "Program Files"

windows installer error

Reply #1
The installer has a lot of checking stuff, I'm not surprised.

An example, which happened to me once. It will check if you have an old foobar2000 0.8, if you do, it will tell you to choose another folder, good, then I choose a folder with foobar2000 0.9 and installing over. Bad news, it will delete everything in that folder, no questions asked. It still think you placeed it in a folder with 0.8, which it shouldn't, cause it only warned you when you selected the 0.8 folder and not on the 0.9 one.
Long story short, I had to download all components again.

Now I don't trust it anymore and just unzip it with 7-Zip.
The installer should really need a seriuosly recode. Maybe it has, never tried it again.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10