Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows freezes when playing from a network share (Read 3512 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows freezes when playing from a network share

Hello,

When I am playing from a network share and if the network share suddenly went offline (say somebody rebooted the computer with the share without telling me or the router was reset... etc), then Windows itself (not just fb2k) seems to come to a complete stand still. It still remains responsive, but barely so.. it takes me about 10 mins to start Task Manager to end task fb2k and then all is fine again. The above problem happens when I am playing through ethernet, but it also occurs when I am playing through a wireless network as well. I can understand if the playback becomes choppy, playback stops playback altogether, or even if fb2k crashes. But slowing down Windows is a bit scary.

Now here are the details of my system.
Athlon XP 1700, Asus nForce2 mobo, Santa Cruz, Windows XP SP1, etc...
FB2K 0.8.3 (also noticed this error with previous 0.8.x versions)
- input: flac, output: waveOut
- no DSPs or visualizations, standard UI
- tried it with just the bare install without any other plugins except flac obviously

I have tried disabling other things that could perhaps affect this such Norton Antivirus and Zonealarm, but still get the same problem. I have file buffering set to the default 0 KB, since I don't really have any problems playing through network shares as long as the share remains online. Hopefully, you can fix it so that fb2k will gracefully stop playback when the source goes offline.

Thanks a lot,
DXX

Reply #1
Can I say *bump* 

Anybody got any ideas? I can't post a crash report because fb2k doesn't actually crash... it just makes the whole system freeze. And no report is written to the fb2k folder. Also increasing the buffer doesn't changing anything.

Thanks,
DXX

Reply #2
Do you get this only with fb2k or with other players as well?

Reply #3
Do you get this only with fb2k or with other players as well?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237691"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmmm... don't really use any other players. At least don't have anything that can play flacs. From what I remember when I used to use winamp long time ago, it just gave an error and stopped playing when the source disappeared.

Reply #4
This could be FLAC-related.

Could you please check if it happens with other formats?

Reply #5
Hello,

When I am playing from a network share and if the network share suddenly went offline (say somebody rebooted the computer with the share without telling me or the router was reset... etc), then Windows itself (not just fb2k) seems to come to a complete stand still. It still remains responsive, but barely so.. it takes me about 10 mins to start Task Manager to end task fb2k and then all is fine again. The above problem happens when I am playing through ethernet, but it also occurs when I am playing through a wireless network as well. I can understand if the playback becomes choppy, playback stops playback altogether, or even if fb2k crashes. But slowing down Windows is a bit scary.

Now here are the details of my system.
Athlon XP 1700, Asus nForce2 mobo, Santa Cruz, Windows XP SP1, etc...
FB2K 0.8.3 (also noticed this error with previous 0.8.x versions)
- input: flac, output: waveOut
- no DSPs or visualizations, standard UI
- tried it with just the bare install without any other plugins except flac obviously

I have tried disabling other things that could perhaps affect this such Norton Antivirus and Zonealarm, but still get the same problem. I have file buffering set to the default 0 KB, since I don't really have any problems playing through network shares as long as the share remains online. Hopefully, you can fix it so that fb2k will gracefully stop playback when the source goes offline.

Thanks a lot,
DXX
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237156"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's likely to be Explorer. Try killing explorer.exe from Task Manager when this next happens and see if everything else trips into life.

This also happened if I browsed to a directory containing a corrupt .avi (for example if it was still downloading). There is a solution to this which involves editing the registry to remove the handler for these file types, no idea where it is though.

cheers,

seany

Reply #6
It was a bug in foo_flac. There's fixed and somewhat improved version here.

Reply #7
It was a bug in foo_flac. There's fixed and somewhat improved version here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=237754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent. That fixed it, Case. Thanks a lot.  Maybe this can be added to the installer with the next version of fb2k.