Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lyrics Grabber Feedback & Discussion (Read 253017 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics Grabber Feedback & Discussion

Reply #50
Great component. But how can I add more providers like darklyrics.com (probably the best source for metal lyrics)? Do I need to code and compile it myself? 

+1 for this

Reply #51
I've been searching for a lot of lyrics today and I've been able to get some. Unfortunately, most of those are instrumentals I haven't marked yet - or they simply doesn't have lyrics on Lyricwiki. Still, the songs I did find lyrics for had to be updated. The problem, though, is foo_lyricsgrabber seems to update/rewrite tags for all files included in the search. Shouldn't foo_lyricsgrabber skip songs it didn't find lyrics for and just write lyrics it has found?

Reply #52
[BUG REPORT] : When using this plugin to find popular songs, I get no hits, but they are on the site.

example:
I can find all of "Pretty Hate Machine" by Nine Inch Nails besides
1. Head Like a Hole (Pretty popular track; I was a little flabbergasted at the thought of it not being on there)
2. Sin

example 2:
I can find all of "The Downward Spiral" by Nine Inch Nails besides
1. Heresy
2. Closer (again two very popular songs)

example 3:
I can find all of "With Teeth" by Nine Inch Nails besides
1. The Hand That Feeds

example 4:
Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug and all the remixes

All my tags are correct and they are ID3v2 2.4 in UTF-8 if that helps any. (I don't really know if it does or not)

Hope this helps you perfect your next release  Thanks again for writing such lovely plugin!

edit: I went to investigate to help you out a little further and it seems all the songs I'm not catching with this plugin has multiple versions; perhaps this is the underline cause?

Reply #53
But how can I add more providers like darklyrics.com (probably the best source for metal lyrics)? Do I need to code and compile it myself?

It's not recommended to add it manually now, even I've reserved support for that. Because I'm not satisfied witch some design of this component and I've started to rewrite the component, in order to provide more and customized providers.
So, what on my schedule is:
  • Rewrite 50% of the code (Completed: 60%)
  • Add a extension with python scripting support (Completed: 20%)
When using this plugin to find popular songs, I get no hits, but they are on the site.

Fixed in 0.2.4 Beta

Reply #55
@Nemphael:
Fixed in 0.2.5 Beta, due to a case mismatch(change $caps() to $caps2())

Reply #56
I've noticed that since I store multiple artists in the ARTIST tag, many of my searches fail. Any plans to either ignore the additional artists in the search or simply use them to search for featured artists on LW? A similar problem exists for punctuation.

Reply #57
There is a problem with "/" character. Song is not found if its name contains this character.

Reply #58
As S9Th said, only it applies to both title and artist.

As for adding custom scripts, how's that going? I've found letssingit.com to be quite reliant/resourceful, especially for Norwegian music.

Reply #59
One more thing. Let's say a word in a song title contains a hyphen, for instance "Punch-Drunk". Foobar capitalization makes it "Punch-drunk" and thus the song can't be found on lyricwiki. Same goes for the apostrophe, like in the word "L'Astronaut"

Reply #60
@S9Th : $caps would do what you are saying, but $caps2 would work perfectly with "Punch-Drunk", "L'Astronaut", and so.

@T.P Wang, several questions / suggestions / feature requests :

1. How is your code rewriting going ? What next version is supposed to be the "big rewritten one" ?

2. I think storing lyrics in tags isn't a good idea, since it messes up with foobar's search : it would be nice if foobar's search could optionally not take some tag fields into account, but right now it just searches all tag fields including the %lyrics%, %unsyncedlyrics%, etc., which can be a problem when you have embedded lyrics because you might get a lot of irrelevant results. So for me too the best is to store lyrics as separate files.

3. Have you given thought to q-stankovic suggestion ? (if %artist% and %title% doesn't work, then try to use %album artist%, %album% and %tracknumber%)

4. In fact I think q-stankovic suggestion would be even more efficient, since it would (at least in theory) allow to find different lyrics for different versions of the same song that would be present in different albums. Thus, I think maybe %album artist%, %album% and %tracknumber% could be optionally implemented as the default search method. What do you think ?

5. Even better : let's assume we find some lyrics with the %album artist%, %album% and %tracknumber% method, but that these lyrics don't match the audio file because of a different track order (different editions of the same album might have different track orders, especially for bonus tracks). In that case, embedding lyrics wouldn't be a good idea, obviously. Instead, saving the lyrics as a separate file like %album artist% - %album% - %title% (regardless of the track number) would still work perfectly.

6. Like many users, I store my music mainly as whole albums. For example among my 25.000 tracks, more than 23.000 are whole albums. So it could be nice to have another option where LyricsGrabber would :
- Look only for %album artist% and %album% information
- Find the corresponding LyricWiki page
- Then follow the links in order to download ALL album tracks
- And store them (once again) as separate text files.
It could be a "Get lyrics for the whole album" checkbox or something like that.
Bonus side effect : no more title orthograph problems to find the lyrics ! (provided the %album artist% and %album% are correct of course, but that's much easier)

7. There is one useful option that I'd really love to see. Let's assume I use LyricsGrabber to look for my 25.000 lyrics or so and store them as separate files. Once that is done, how can I use foobar to quickly find which tracks have found lyrics, and which tracks have missing lyrics ? Well, I would suggest an additional tag field (I would still call it %lyrics% but best would be if it was user-definable) where LyricsGrabber would write something (e.g. "Yes") ONLY if it has found lyrics for the corresponding song. That way we could do a simple foobar search : "%lyrics% PRESENT" or "%lyrics% MISSING" to get all the songs with lyrics or all the song with missing lyrics and deal with them.

8. Some minor suggestions to improve the search methods :
- Whatever the search method is (%artist% and %title% or %artist%, %album% and %tracknumber%), if both %album artist% and %artist% are present, then look alternatively for both in order to find the lyrics online (one never knows...),
- Be able to handle multivalue fields (e.g. : %artist% = "Brandy; Monica" => Look alternatively for "Brandy & Monica", "Brandy And Monica", "Brandy", and "Monica").

Well, what do you think ?

Reply #61
Lyrics in tags are useful if you have an ipod and want it to display lyrics. So saving them to a file should be an option, not the only way to store them. I hope you meant that )

Reply #62
Of course I meant that : saving lyrics to a file should be an option (or maybe the default behaviour, provided saving them to tags remains an option). The fact is that both should be possible.

Of course Lyrics in tags are useful when you have a portable device such as an iPod. The only thing I've said is that embedded lyrics aren't useful within foobar because they simply mess up with foobar's search, that's all.

Other than that, I hope T.P Wang will find all my comments useful.

Reply #63
Of course Lyrics in tags are useful when you have a portable device such as an iPod. The only thing I've said is that embedded lyrics aren't useful within foobar because they simply mess up with foobar's search, that's all.

Although i consider the file itself to be the best place for storing lyrics i understand the wish to store them as textfiles. Indeed it would be an improvment of this plugin to offer that as long as it doesn't result in bloated options. Concerning the problem you mentioned in the quote above i believe that it should be solved by the foobar core as they are other fields beside the lyrics tag that contain text (f.e. COMMENT) - the simplest i can imagine would be that foobar excludes that fields that are declared as multiline fields in the advanced preferences.

Reply #64
Yes of course, foobar core could exclude multiline fields from search queries. Or even better, we could set up manually a list of excluded fields (just like in advanced preferences). For example : "Excluded Search Fields : LYRICS;UNSYNCED LYRICS;COMMENTS;"

Unfortunately, we don't know if this functionality WILL be developed or not (it's not currently on the list of planned features AFAIK - maybe there should be a topic for that ?), and even if it was to be developed, we still wouldn't know WHEN it would be developed (and some features can take a whole lot of time before they are implemented).

So in the meanwhile, I still think storing lyrics as text files is a better solution for most users, at least for the "grabbing" part of the job. Because like I've just said above, text files allow us to get rid of the "tracknumber problem" inherent to the "album artist - album - tracknumber" search mode that you suggested and that I approved (I'll say it again - tracknumbers not corresponding between different editions of the same album).

But of course there could be a second part of the job (once foobar's core is ready for example), where the lyrics could be stored in the files, after checking them in order to be sure that the good lyric is related to the good file. In that case the text files would be a temporary (yet excellent) solution.

Best of both worlds ?

EDIT - one more suggestion, that will be number 9 :
In LyricWiki we can read this : "Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers instead of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Words should not be substituted with their equivalent symbols"
Thus, I would recommend that LyricWiki can offer some tolerance here :
1. Search for %artist% (or %album artist% or whatever relevant field)
2. If the search gives results, then everything's fine,
3. If the search doesn't give results then also search for $replace(%artist%,' & ',' And ') (or $replace(%album artist%,' & ',' And ') or whatever relevant field)

Reply #65
Any plans to either ignore the additional artists in the search or simply use them to search for featured artists on LW? A similar problem exists for punctuation.

There is a problem with "/" character. Song is not found if its name contains this character.

EDIT - one more suggestion, that will be number 9:

8. Some minor suggestions to improve the search methods

Reasonable, and they are now considered in the next version, some comments:
1. For multivalue fields: check return state of searching each separate part of %artist%(and %album artist% if exists), if 404, then start to alternative search the next one.
2. Handle special character: "&" and "/"  (& could be replaced with "And"), search them one by one, with the same criteria as for multivalue fields
And, if you have some other suggestions, feel free to post out.

As for adding custom scripts, how's that going?

1. How is your code rewriting going ? What next version is supposed to be the "big rewritten one" ?

Rewritting of foo_lyricsgrabber is nearing completion.
Finished the "Prototype" version of the extension which provids python scripting support won't take much time.
My plans on changing behavior and adding new options for Configruation window will be delayed becasue I need to get feedback of the next version and take some advice on how to make a "featured", "non-bloated" configruation window without confusing new users.

2. I think storing lyrics in tags isn't a good idea, since it messes up with foobar's search

I'll add it to the TODO List, and implement it in the near future.

3. Have you given thought to q-stankovic suggestion ? (if %artist% and %title% doesn't work, then try to use %album artist%, %album% and %tracknumber%)
4.In fact I think q-stankovic suggestion would be even more efficient,
5. Even better

Yes, I did try to implement that some time ago(Dream Theater should handled well enough), however, I found it hard to maintain since then. So I planed to rewrite the code and provide scriptting support, which is more reasonable to do that job than C++

Reply #66
6. Like many users, I store my music mainly as whole albums.

I think you will run into trouble if there are "LIMITED", "BOUNES", "TRUNCATED" releases by different publishers.

7. There is one useful option that I'd really love to see.

It sounds reasonable but I have some question:
What should happened if lyrics file is moved or missing? Of course, monitoring files as Media Library is good but it's a technical for me, and I think it will make LyricsGrabber too complex.

Reply #67
I don't know if it's planed for this next version, but I would really like if it was possible to download lrc lyrics, and store them in a file (the same name as music file, but with .lrc at the end)...

Reply #68

Any plans to either ignore the additional artists in the search or simply use them to search for featured artists on LW? A similar problem exists for punctuation.

Reasonable, and they are now considered in the next version, some comments:
1. For multivalue fields: check return state of searching each separate part of %artist%(and %album artist% if exists), if 404, then start to alternative search the next one.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you suggesting I rewrite the tags and search again?

Reply #69
7. There is one useful option that I'd really love to see. ...
It sounds reasonable but I have some question:
What should happened if lyrics file is moved or missing? Of course, monitoring files as Media Library is good but it's a technical for me, and I think it will make LyricsGrabber too complex.

What should happen ? Well, nothing in fact. Let me explain :
For me, the purpose of the (let's call it) %found lyrics% field (contents : either nothing or "Yes") is only to be able to find within foobar all songs which lyrics have been found and downloaded by Lyrics Grabber. It does not "associate" in any way the songs with the lyrics because that's not its purpose. So if the user decides to move or delete the lyrics files... well, that's his own problem : the %found lyrics% field will remain until he changes it within foobar.

So all I'm asking is for Lyrics Grabber to be able - optionally - to write a %found lyrics% tag with the "Yes" content every time it finds and downloads a given lyrics file, that's all. For me it would be a very useful feature, because I could easily monitor within an autoplaylist all songs with missing lyrics (query : "%found lyrics% MISSING") and try to find the missing lyrics either manually on LyricWiki or maybe on other lyrics sites, etc.

You probably could add this as a user-selectable option in Lyrics Grabber prefs (checkbox : "Add %found lyrics% tag when lyrics are found and downloaded" or something like that).

I would really like if it was possible to download lrc lyrics, and store them in a file

I'd like that too, but AFAIK LyricWiki doesn't store any LRC lyrics, and Lyrics Grabber currently only queries LyricWiki so...

There are however other 3rd-party components that can download LRC lyrics when they are present. Try Lyric Show Panel for instance (also maintained by T.P Wang  ).

Reply #70
@wolfsong:
No, It's only a list of solution for multivalue fields.

@foorious:
Okay, I understand, I'll add it to the TODO list.

Reply #72
I would really like if it was possible to download lrc lyrics, and store them in a file

I'd like that too, but AFAIK LyricWiki doesn't store any LRC lyrics, and Lyrics Grabber currently only queries LyricWiki so...

From what I've read, the next version could allow other download sites and so I hope lrc lyrics sites !

There are however other 3rd-party components that can download LRC lyrics when they are present. Try Lyric Show Panel for instance (also maintained by T.P Wang  ).

Lyric show panel is quite buggy, and I can't use it. I have to use Lyricist, less buggy, but it has not Lyric Show database...

Reply #73
Lyric show panel is quite buggy, and I can't use it. I have to use Lyricist, less buggy, but it has not Lyric Show database...

What bugs & problems do you have with Lyric show panel.
Not perfect, but it works pretty well for me.

terry

Edit: there is a specific thread / topic for lyric show panel

Reply #74
I agree : Lyric Show Panel is a good component, quite stable here (been using it for more than a year, no problems so far). Maybe a bit complicated, but once correctly set up, it does its job as intended (including LRC lyrics).

So prov, before pretending that a component is "quite buggy" as you have just said, please check your own configuration and try a fresh foobar (or Windows) install if needed. Chances are that the problem is coming from your side.

Funny how this happens often when a user comes saying that a given component is "buggy" (instead of saying "maybe I've done something wrong")... I think pretending those things without claim of proof is not very respectful for the developer/maintainer, which is T.P Wang for both components in case you missed it.

BTW thank you T.P Wang for your comments. Looking forward for the next improved Lyrics Grabber release !