Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 16bit to 24 bit VST (Read 3814 times) previous topic - next topic

16bit to 24 bit VST

I need a VST I can use before Ozone 3 that will convert 16bit to 24bit so I have more headroom.  Anyone know of one?

16bit to 24 bit VST

Reply #1
Converting from 16 bit to 24 bit may be useful in some ways, but it does not increase headroom. A sample originally at 0dB will still be at 0dB, the same for every other sample at any level. The extra bits all go to the very low level signals, which will not exist in the original 16 bit data. Converting to 24 bit does reduce the size of quantization errors.

Using a floating point format is better than 24 bit integer. This will increase headroom. With floating point files you will be able to go above 200dB without losing anything, as long as you normalize to 0dB or less before leaving the floating point format.

Bit depth and file format conversion is available in many programs, especially audio editors. I don’t know about any VST plugins.

16bit to 24 bit VST

Reply #2
Converting from 16 bit to 24 bit may be useful in some ways, but it does not increase headroom. A sample originally at 0dB will still be at 0dB, the same for every other sample at any level. The extra bits all go to the very low level signals, which will not exist in the original 16 bit data. Converting to 24 bit does reduce the size of quantization errors.

But after you convert to 24 bit,  then you can lower the preamp volume in Ozone and not sacrifice resolution ( I have a 24 bit DAC.)  This would add headroom without losing dynamics correct?

16bit to 24 bit VST

Reply #3
Yes. Floating point would still be better, quality wise, but using 24 bit in this way will work. I've done nothing with Ozone, but something I once read lead me to believe it works with 32 bit and 64 bit floating point files??? There doesn't seem to be any practical excuse for 64 bit files.