Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PlayStation 2 (Read 3344 times) previous topic - next topic

PlayStation 2

I've been noticing lately on my seven month old PS2 some strange graphic problems which sometimes lead to moments of blurry graphics. By blurry I mean it is as if I'm looking at the TV set with glasses that have the wrong prescription. I have never seen this happen on any other game system in my many years of game playing.

Example 1: Sometimes when playing GT3 the night race tracks will be blurry for a whole race, and then the next track will look fine.

Example 2: FF10 has moments of blurrying when entering a fight.

I don't know if it is an overheating issue since the system is unobstructed and isn't in any cabinet. I've went so far that I now have a small fan blowing cool air into the front of the unit towards the grills, however the blurring still happens.

I also don't know if the problem is a buggy system, like a bad graphics card since it shows up in many games.

PlayStation 2

Reply #1
Both occurances of "blur" are supposed to be there. It's a visual effect found in the EmotionEngine GFX-chip that powers the PS2. A lot of developers uses this effect in their software (games). I personally think the blur-effect looks awesome in both FF10 and GT3.

So point is - no need to worry.

PlayStation 2

Reply #2
[deleted]

PlayStation 2

Reply #3
I have GT3 and can't recall much 'blur' on the night tracks. Hmm, good excuse to fire it back up again.

PS - What's your best car? F1 car for me just kicks butt!

PlayStation 2

Reply #4
I have GT3 and can't recall much 'blur' on the night tracks. Hmm, good excuse to fire it back up again.

On my friend's GT3 (100% completed): Suzuki Pikes Peak - over 1,800 hp, top speed of over 900 mph.

PlayStation 2

Reply #5
On my friend's GT3 (100% completed): Suzuki Pikes Peak - over 1,800 hp, top speed of over 900 mph.

!!!! Haven't got that far with GT3. Bought the Suzuki, but what a bastard to drive. On anything. My biggest problem is getting the last license. Once I unlock that (rubs hands fiendishly), look out.

PlayStation 2

Reply #6
Both occurances of "blur" are supposed to be there. It's a visual effect found in the EmotionEngine GFX-chip that powers the PS2. A lot of developers uses this effect in their software (games). I personally think the blur-effect looks awesome in both FF10 and GT3.

So point is - no need to worry.

The blur effect you are talking about is supposed to be there, and it does look great.

I should have probably given my vague description a little more backbone. What I am talking about would better be described as the graphics not being focused, and having a ghost-like effect which doesn't look like some graphic enhancements --  it looks like a serious bug. Whatsmore, I haven't found any sites with other PS2 owners complaining about the issue which is why I posted a topic about it.

I talked to a friend who has some of the same games I have and he was able to confirm the abnormal graphic problems too.

PlayStation 2

Reply #7

The best car, hmmm:
F094/H and F094/S (fast, but too arcade-like for my tastes even in simulation mode)
Toyota GT-ONE (one of the fastest cars)
Nissan R390 GT-1 (one of the fastest cars)

I have 100% completed in GT3. The license tests were actually more of a "simulation" experience than the racing series since the traction control and stability control is turned off. I got so used to the license tests not having any of the aiding capabilities since the cars seem to be more different with all the helpers turned off that I now have each car set to drive without any traction control and without any stability control - I think that forces improved driving.

PlayStation 2

Reply #8
The best cars IMO (when tunned to the max) are:
GT-ONE (Cheating really cos it's not a road car )
Suzuki
Skyline
GTO (In GT1)