Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: YouTube (Music) 255Kbit audio for premium users? (Read 3613 times) previous topic - next topic

YouTube (Music) 255Kbit audio for premium users?

This mentions 255Kbit audio which is something I've never heard before and which Google knows nothing about.

I thought the maximum YouTube offered was ~160Kbit Opus audio.

Does anyone have a premium YouTube subscription and can check whether YouTube actually offers a higher-bitrate/better audio for such subscribers?

What's the codec? Opus as well?

Re: YouTube (Music) 255Kbit audio for premium users?

Reply #1
YouTube had 256-ish kbit/s for a while some years ago. I think it was AAC only, before they went Opus.

Which brings me to ... is the original upload kept in YouTube for later transcoding?

(YouTube has been quite a source of compression artifacts, but I guess that is often due to people picking a youtube download, processing it with new video, and uploading it in whatever low bitrate suits their data plan.)

Reply #2
Does anyone have a premium YouTube subscription and can check whether YouTube actually offers a higher-bitrate/better audio for such subscribers?
[paranoid mode]And do we think YouTube will actively degrade the sound for free users, to drive up subscriptions?[/paranoid mode]

Reply #3
[paranoid mode]And do we think YouTube will actively degrade the sound for free users, to drive up subscriptions?[/paranoid mode]

Why not?  :D

Jokes aside Opus at 160Kbit is 100% transparent for me  8)

Reply #4
YouTube premium offers AAC 44100Hz 256K CBR audio.  I don't remember if there is a higher Opus offering though.

Reply #8
Maybe that's just me, but I never come across such files. Yes, I remember that youtube-dl was showing codec 251 as opus@160k, but after downloading it was always around 130kbps file.

Reply #9
Maybe that's just me, but I never come across such files. Yes, I remember that youtube-dl was showing codec 251 as opus@160k, but after downloading it was always around 130kbps file.

It's 160 nominal and ~130Kbit/sec in real life.

Reply #10
YT has its problems with downloading.

https://torrentfreak.com/major-record-labels-sue-youtube-dl-hosting-provider-220114/
https://torrentfreak.com/youtube-rippers-oppose-82-million-piracy-damages-recommendation-220103/

Isn't the new hotness yt-dlp, which is hosted on Github?

And you need to supply login cookies to it anyway to download the higher quality premium content.