Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can i add cover art tags to my large collection automatically? (Read 5504 times) previous topic - next topic

How can i add cover art tags to my large collection automatically?

Hi there,

I have not posted here for ages, but need a little bit of advice from you kind people

Ok, I have a medium-large music collection in multiple formats. In each folder for each album, i have aready got my cover art stored as 'folder.jpg'.

I would like to store each album cover in the actual file as a tag. My questions are...

1) Which audio formats support this (i have ogg, flac, mp3 and wma)?

2) Is there any software that can automatically take each cover and add it to the files as a tag for my WHOLE collection automatically?

Thanks.

Reply #1
1) Mp3 + Wma

2) http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Reply #2
Thanks for youre reply. So there is no way of doing it with Ogg and FLAC then?

Reply #3
Thanks for youre reply. So there is no way of doing it with Ogg and FLAC then?

yes, yes there is. use a custom vorbis comment.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #4
Excellent. So can mp3tag add the correct custom vorbis comment for the album art? And does it actually store the image in the audio file or just reference it?

Most importantly, can mp3tag, or aything else, album art tag my entire collection in one run or will i have to do each album or file one by one?

Reply #5
Excellent. So can mp3tag add the correct custom vorbis comment for the album art? And does it actually store the image in the audio file or just reference it?

Vorbis comments are text only. I don't know where ...Just Elliott got that from. Haven't seen a program that puts covers in vorbis files yet..

Most importantly, can mp3tag, or aything else, album art tag my entire collection in one run or will i have to do each album or file one by one?

That's why I mentioned the tool..
Press Shift+Alt+5 and select
# Import cover from file
and use the string folder.jpg
It's maybe better to select only 500 files for a run since the images also consume RAM

Reply #6

Vorbis comments are text only. I don't know where ...Just Elliott got that from. Haven't seen a program that puts covers in vorbis files yet..

Technically, it can be done. Do a base64-encoding, and you can embed any binary file inside an .ogg file.

But it must be done manually: You have to manually base64-encode and embed, and the other way around. No automated tools (yet).

Hmm... might experiment on that though...

Reply #7

Technically, it can be done. Do a base64-encoding, and you can embed any binary file inside an .ogg file.

But it must be done manually: You have to manually base64-encode and embed, and the other way around. No automated tools (yet).

Hmm... might experiment on that though...

I'd gzip it first.

How about storing all the image data raw?
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)