Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there any mechanism for rating/comparing components? (Read 1742 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any mechanism for rating/comparing components?

As a new foobar user, I see many components ... but don't know, for any one area of functionality, what the competing options are and how they stack up.  For example, there seem to be quite a few Lyrics components.  Short  of trying trying them all out ... or doing extensive search for anecdotal comments ... what to do?

Would be nice if there was a list of components with a stars rating system and user comments ... like we find with with so much on-line shopping.

Am I missing something that would make the process of discovery a little more stream-lined?

Reply #1
Start a new thread and be more specific; change the topic title to "[fb2k noob] I want to have a Lyrics panel, what are my choices? ...I don't know which component to choose."

Reply #2
My question wasn't really about lyrics; I simply used lyrics as an example.

I think the topic title reflects my real question ... which is whether there is someplace, whether in the forum or some other area within hyrogenaudio.org ... where one can go to see a ratings style evaluation of various components or a preserved thread related to a component one is considering using?

I understand that I can always start a post on a very specific topic and see who responds ... but that seems slower and less re-usable.  So my question really is, is posting really the best way to get to this kind of info?

Reply #3
The features of most components don't overlap all that much, and with those that do, that one which is recommended most will likely be the one that is actively maintained (the biggest exception to this being Columns UI as there isn't an equivalent replacement as yet, although there are alternatives).

You can always check out the components page and their links to documentation and/or discussion found there, the components wiki although it might not be up-to-date. The components listed at the wiki might not work with the current foobar either. Figure out what it is you're looking for, search the forums and ask if you can't figure it out or would just like more info.

Reply #4
The best way to determine which plugin is the best is just try them all... Mostly there isn't even 2 components which provide same functionality. Sometimes there are 2, maybe 3. It isn't a big deal to test it on your own. Additionally forums and comments (mostly complaints) can help you decide which component works better.

Reply #5
Just use the official components, there is only one lyric component on there for download. What we need is an extensive component resource, I've seen some on DeviantArt but they just put hundreds of components in a rar file and then call it a day. I think a starting point would be listing all components that don't work with the newest version of foobar.