Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: On-board audio of nForce2 boards (Read 10043 times) previous topic - next topic

On-board audio of nForce2 boards

Reply #25
Too bad it also uses the Realtek chipset instead of the APU

Reply #26
Too bad it also uses the Realtek chipset instead of the APU

There's been a lot of confusion over how exactly the NForce 2 APU works, and nvidia has only themselves and the mobo manufacturers labeling practices to blame.

But I know the answers!

1) The NForce 2 APU is a fully digital solution and has no integrated DAC and therefore no native ability to output analog audio.

2) The DAC commonly used in NForce2 boards that use the APU to process audio is the Realtek ALC650 or the Via VT1616.

3) Both of the aformentioned DACs are also AC97 CODECs, meaning they typically are used as a software audio solution in motherboards that do not possess an APU.

4) Only the MCP-T Southbridge from nvidia currently possesses the APU.

5) Motherboard manufacturers (AOpen, Chaintech) have implemented the MCP-T Southbridge without using the APU functions at all.
  The Aopen tube based NForce 2 board uses the ALC650 as a traditional soft-audio solution. The Chaintech NForce2 motherboards use a CMedia chip, again as soft-audio solutions.

6) The "Soundstorm" marketing term is more restrictive than merely ensuring that the APU is used; it requires output and input jacks not be shared and requires an
digital-out header be bundled with the board.

7) The APU is the only audio solution availible which can encode all audio content as a Dolby Digital (AC-3) stream. This requires an external decoder to take advantage of.

8) The analog output quality of the APU is irrelevant because the APU does not deal with analog signals at all - the analog-out quality depends almost entirely on the CODEC used, and the quality of its implementation.

Reply #27
What a great board! Too bad I already purchased another one

Something bothers me though, the reviewer writes:

The one thing I would've been very curious to see that wasn't included with the AK79G Tube is support for NVIDIA's own sound solution.  While full support for the six-channel audio nForce2 is capable of offering would've required a cost-prohibitive array of three tubes, I'm still curious about what the Tube would sound like paired with a sound system that's widely acknowledged as the best integrated audio on the 'Net.  It would've been possible to run only two channels through the single tube, but that would've unbalanced the sound.

but what is this nVidia sound solution then? Because Realtek nomrally can provide 6 channel audio AFAIK. Very confusing.
No inspiration

Reply #28
A tube amp won't make the sound be better than the one from good solid state sound card. On the other side, some tube amplifier topologies will add extra warmth to the sound, but it's up to the listener to like that added warmth.

Reply #29
but what is this nVidia sound solution then? Because Realtek nomrally can provide 6 channel audio AFAIK. Very confusing.

That is the Realtek ALC650E solution  (the APU is not used) and it still can - the tube is in the chain only for the front L/R channel. Lostcircuits reviewed a similar PIV board some time back.

The review would have been a lot better if he'd bothered to get some actual numbers outside of the SNR. http://www.lostcircuits.com/video/sound_compare1/