Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MIDI plugin quality? (Read 25792 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI plugin quality?

Reply #25
This looks promising:

Musyng Kite 990MB GM/GS soundfont. Former Evanessence overhaul! 3 years in the works!

I'll add a mirror of Musyng Kite compressed to FLAC sf2pack, which comes out to only 10MB larger than the sfpack file, and can be used as-is with BASSMIDI driver, XMPlay, and foo_midi.

Quick edit: Seems the Orchestral Harp (b0p46) and the default drum kit (b128p0) feature some bad envelopes, and hopefully not bad samples. Quick fix, in the form of an sflist:

Code: [Select]
Musyng Kite.sf2pack
p0,46=0,46&p128,0=128,0|SGM-V2.01.sf2pack

MIDI plugin quality?

Reply #26
I've been using Timbres of Heaven soundfont almost exclusevely for midi playback with your plugin, as it covers GM, GS and XG sets.

If anyone is interested to try, scroll down to the end of the page: http://midkar.com/soundfonts/

By the way, I've just joyned to give you my thanks for this awesome plugin. I've been using foobar as my only music player for a couple of years after giving up on Winamp for good. I always relied on my soundcard for midi playback, (something I just can't let go) and was surprised by the quality of this plugin. No more clipping sounds and cut off notes after some hours of playback as was the case with the hardware synth from my Xi-Fi (or my previous soundcards), even with huge soundfonts like Evanescence (now Musyng Kite).

MIDI plugin quality?

Reply #27
Yeah, BASSMIDI uses a floating point mixing process, so even if it does clip, it can still be volume limited either by a DSP or Windows itself. And it supports GS and XG features, unlike Creative's drivers.

MIDI plugin quality?

Reply #28
I noticed something unusual. If I let the EMIDI device track exclusion active, some musics lose tracks, like the ones from Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (PC edition).

I don't know if it is how it works or if it is some bug on the detection of EMIDI enabled files. For now I will let that option disabled and only enable it when I want to hear Duke Nuken 3D music.

Re: MIDI plugin quality?

Reply #29
I happen to flip around between a mix of Colossus.SF2 (not strictly legit) with SGM and AnotherXG, and the two Yamaha VST instruments, S-YXG50 and S-YXG2006LE.

Colossus has very good sounds - but also terrible ones.

so i ended up with the arachno soundfont, which is pretty good for videogame midis imo.

but you say you are flipping around between those soundfonts.

like with a xml player using sounds of more than one sf2 files?

that would be great if this would be possible.

is it? :-)

Reply #31
is probably easier to get into

wasn't online for a few days here. and to be honest i am not a programmer. i am into fl studio and photohsop.

so please tell "what" exactly is this doing? i mean the best thing would be that i can have two or more soundfonts, and with this "sflist" i can define which sounds of each soundfonts are used. but then i could make my own ultimate sf2 file. i would extract the sounds of my favourite sf2 files and then i would bring them together in one file.

but sorry. what can this sflist do exactly?

Reply #32
It can pull instruments from individual banks, and map them to any slot you want. It can also map whole files to individual bank offsets. It can also map bank sets that exceed the total size limit of a single .sf2 file.

If you don't want to muck about with a SoundFont editor, it's great. By all means, though, go ahead and cut and paste samples and manually re-save a huge bank file every time you want to make a little change, though.

You can map one or more instruments to other instrument numbers. You can tweak the volume levels of individual mappings you make. You can also choose whether certain banks only apply to specific MIDI channel numbers.

Reply #33
ok. this is just exactly what i need. like taking the best parts of the soundfonts i like and bring them together.

finally it would be great to have "this one great soundfont" with all the best sounds, but this is just one way to do it i guess.

i will check this out. this is definitely nerd heaven. :-)

thanks for pointing out what this is!

Reply #34
It can pull instruments from individual banks, and map them to any slot you want. It can also map whole files to individual bank offsets. It can also map bank sets that exceed the total size limit of a single .sf2 file.

If you don't want to muck about with a SoundFont editor, it's great. By all means, though, go ahead and cut and paste samples and manually re-save a huge bank file every time you want to make a little change, though.

You can map one or more instruments to other instrument numbers. You can tweak the volume levels of individual mappings you make. You can also choose whether certain banks only apply to specific MIDI channel numbers.

ok. lately i come back to this. there are several soundfonts i am using. finally i want to use this script because i want to blend between the sgm soundfont (maybe it is a matter of taste but for me it is overall the best soundfont AND i like the sound when playing videogame and jazz midis) and the aegean symphonic orchestra. bith combined is exactly what i am looking for (yet).

my question is: do i need to edit EVEYR single channel by hand? i would do it.

and here comes the very final question: is there a way that this script uses ALL channels of one soundfont, and all the channels that are not in use will be filled by the second soundfont? is this possible?

if not please please let me know how to blend these two soundfonts into each other as fast as possible (if you figured out a way to do so).

EDIT:

"SoundFont load priority is the same as the original SFList, in that files listed first will be overridden by files listed later."

when i create that list and put the sgm soundfont first, and the other second, the second soundfont's channels will overrite all of the channels of soundfont 1?

because the sgm and the aegean symphonic orchestra complemnet each other perfectly, so i do not need to edit the channels by hand (yet).

wbr

Reply #35
has anyone the jazman soundfont or maybe the genesys pro 8? or both?

i purchased the genesys pro 8 soundfont on gmsoundfont.com.

i'm thinking about purchasing the jazman soundfont as well, would like to exchange some audio samples of the jazman and the genesys pro 8 to hear which one is (finally) better for what i want to do with it (which is listening to videogame midi files :-).

Reply #36
Genesys Pro 8 was a piece of crap the last time I looked at it. Maybe look at Princess Soft Gold instead?

Reply #37
Genesys Pro 8 was a piece of crap the last time I looked at it. Maybe look at Princess Soft Gold instead?

thanks for the tip, never heard of princess soft gold. and well, the genesys pro 8 soundfont is, well, ok imo. i just listened to the demo samples on gmsoundfont.com and they were pretty good.

is the jazman much better than the genesys pro 8?

and i checked out the princess soft gold, or better banco sf2 - bec i cannot find a soundfont called like this. on the website there is only the banco sf2 and the princess violet sf2.

EDIT: ah, well, the princess soft synth seems to include the soundfont or is soundfont based. well, the demo samples sound amazing. will check out the free banco sf2, although the demo samples sound amazing and maybe i will buy it.

and if you want to know my oppinion about the genesys pro 8: 10% of the videogame midis on vgmusic sound pretty good with it, 30% is nice, and 60% not very good, very cheap sounding. that's my experince.

EDIT2: I downloaded the Banco soundfont and after unzippeng the sf2.zip - Voila - it's the Princess Soft Gold soundfont! and viola - i need to buy it it seems, i got decoding errors.

Reply #38
finally, i've found out about the Merlin GM v32 v3.2. it's just 34 mb and a great soundfont for listening to videogame midi's.

i like this sound very much, and it's free. just search the web.

although the non-free soundfonts on the site might be better, this one is very good for my purposes.