Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_volsync 0.11 (Read 8322 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_volsync 0.11

Actually I was not planning to release this plug-in, but I thought that it might be helpful to others.

It simply synchronizes the volume of Foobar with the Master Volume of Windows, which is useful if you're using ASIO and want to control the volume the same way as you would with a DirectSound output. You can disable/enable the synchronization by changing the Volume Synchronization option in the Playback menu.

The plug-in is only compatible with Windows Vista since I believe Vista uses a different set of APIs to control the volume than XP/2000/etc.

download foo_volsync 0.11

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #1
Yes, it would be very useful with ASIO. Thank you for sharing!

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #2
Can you please add an option to synchronize the internal foobar2000 volume with the application volume in mixer, and not the master one (like WMP does)? Also changing volume from foobar2000 does not work here (Windows 7), the slider just returns back after I try to drag it.

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #3
Can you please add an option to synchronize the internal foobar2000 volume with the application volume in mixer, and not the master one (like WMP does)? Also changing volume from foobar2000 does not work here (Windows 7), the slider just returns back after I try to drag it.

thanks for the suggestion

I'll try to change the volume from the master to the application, it shouldn't be that hard but I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment so I can't say when it's going to be done.
Also the volume sliders behavior that you're describing is normal since the synchronization is uni-directional at the moment; it always follows the master volume. i'll see if i can make foobar volume work at an offset of the master volume when moved, or simply make the synchronization bi-directional.

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #4
I'm a bit surprised this hasn't received more attention - I'd just like to say I've found it useful, and thanks for releasing it.

Hope you get time to continue with its development, although for my purposes it's fine the way it is.

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #5
Works just fine here, thank you very much!!! I am running win7 rc1 and foobar 9.6.8

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #6
works fine under Seven too, but this plugin only works in one way

it enforces the volume of foobar with the volume of windows, but it doesn't enforce the volume of windows when i change the volume of foobar, that's a big shame

so, it's not really a synch, maybe you could fix this please ?

Thanx by advance

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #7
I've been thinking of writing such a component.

I found that a XP version is not possible. The Windows Mixer API does not work with decibel measurements, and its quite lengthy code to probe the volume settings....Least Vista's is much more flexible.

If I get around to doing this, this will be the first thing that I will try to implement.

EDIT: Looks like I can't. API doesn't allow for me finding other app's audio session IDs.

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #8
Link is dead. Anyone still have a copy of this component?

foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #9
Probably not that useful in Vista and newer, since recent foobar2000 synchronizes and controls its volume through per-application levels.

Re: foo_volsync 0.11

Reply #10
Couldn't find it anywhere, could someone reupload? Thanks!

Reply #11
Probably not that useful in Vista and newer, since recent foobar2000 synchronizes and controls its volume through per-application levels.
I would like to have foobar2000 volume able to synchronize to windows mixer master volume. Why? Because some ASIO drivers does not sync volume to windows mixer (for example E-MU and some of ESI drivers). PS: I don't use WASAPI, it doesn't suit me.

Reply #12
What is the purpose of low latency, "bit perfect" output if you're going to ask the sound hardware to munge the bits anyway by lowering the volume? May as well use DirectSound, in that case.

Reply #13
I can output'em to different physical outs via PachMix. It's all about possibilities, not reasons to refuse. I love foobar2000 for possibilities. :)

Reply #14
Right, and then which volume control should it sync to?

Reply #15
Actually I would like to do it in reverse, i.e. don't sync Windows mixer's volume control with foobar when using DS. It caused much trouble when playing files with > 0dBFS peaks, for example:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104051.msg854152.html#msg854152

Or at least let users adjust RG's preamp with keyboard shortcuts/media keys

Reply #16
Right, and then which volume control should it sync to?

To Windows Master mixer! :) Why? Because ASIO in my particular case (E-MU drivers) absolutely not dependent on any Windows volume sliders, So I can control ASIO playback volume only in "PatchMIX DSP Control Panel" OR foobar2000 volume slider. First way is too uncomfortable (And E-MU will never release any new driver for my old 1820m, so no improvements here). Second way is better, but uncomfortable too (involves mouse movements).

I adjust my volume by media keys (HID consumer class media keys:Vol+, Vol-, etc.) on both keyboard and mouse.
Remedy is to hook foobar's volume value (only value) to Master mixer of Windows (call it "case of independent ASIO volume").