Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_sid (Read 97269 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_sid

Reply #25
I cannot reproduce the subsong length problem, as the copy of that track in my collection doesn't seem to match the database. My file has a hash of 068FBB888935C22A958D305C41E6D3E6 while the database has a hash of a201d88d9c2ca0067f9e93202cfc4a30.

I did reproduce the crashing and corrected the problem.

foo_sid

Reply #26
I just saw there was a new version (2008-01-20). Can you tell us what changed?

PS
Thanks a lot for this plugin... I love it to death
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

foo_sid

Reply #29
Kode54,

first of all - thank you very much for this plugin. I've been using it a good while and it works very well.

I noticed something while using Last.fm for a while; a lot of SIDs have many subsongs (such as many game soundtracks), and such SIDs will report the artist correctly but will report their songtitle as album title title. This means that the Last.fm software won't scrobble these tracks because of a missing track title.

It seems a good lot of people that have SIDs scrobbled on last.fm seem to be using your plugin (or one with a similar 'problem') because there don't seem to be many SID game soundtracks scrobbled.

Is this something that's fixable? for example by copying the album title to the track title if none is found?

Thanks very much!

foo_sid

Reply #30
I have no idea, it reports a "title" field for every track, which should correspond to track title.

foo_sid

Reply #31
Hello Kode54,

It'll report a title field if a SID has no subsongs.
you could try for example, from HVSC:

c64music/musicians/T/Tel_Jeroen/2400_AD.sid

This tune contains two subsongs. Both subsongs have the following reported fields:

ARTIST: Jeroen Tel / Maniacs of Noise
ALBUM: 2400 AD
COPYRIGHT: 1988 Origin Systems

since the TITLE field is empty, it won't scrobble.

I hope this clarifies what I mean
Thank you for the trouble.

foo_sid

Reply #32
Ah, yes. It adds the title field as "album" when there are multiple subsongs, since there's no place to retrieve individual titles. There is a database for that, but I haven't incorporated support yet.

foo_sid

Reply #33
All my sid files only come through the left speaker. Any ideas?

foo_sid

Reply #34
All my sid files only come through the left speaker. Any ideas?

Sounds like your drivers don't like mono flagged for front center speaker. Try Convert mono to stereo DSP.

foo_sid

Reply #35
That did the trick. Thanks for all your solid chiptune plugs!

foo_sid

Reply #36
kode54, can I interest you in incorporating the ReSID changes from Antti Lankila's 6581 distortion page to foo_sid? The example files he has recorded with his patch sound just incredible and very, very close to the real C-64. I hear his patch is going to be adopted in the next version of VICE the C-64 emulator as well.

It does have slightly higher system requirements than unpatched ReSID but the improved sound quality is IMHO well worth it.

foo_sid

Reply #37
It will require significant work, since his patches are against 2.1.1, and I'm using CVS code, which is structured somewhat differently.

EDIT: I tried it, it doesn't seem to run fast enough for real-time playback, and attempting to set the sample rate lower than 44100Hz results in crashes. Maybe some other time.

foo_sid

Reply #38
hello all, hello kode54,

i used your plugin a long time without configurating it. it worked very well :-) thank you very much!

now, i discovered the preferences page in f2k again, which offers me an database to load.

it took me 2 days trying to find out, what database was meant. i did not saw a hint, nor a documentation, what database to add here, so i tried some files from my HVSC folder.
unfortunately i had choosen STIL.txt and wondered, why the status never changes from "not loaded" to something else which told me, that i made it correctly.
finally, i tried "Songlengths.txt" and pressed load and it worked.
but it took too much time.

so i just suggest, for small minded people like me, because i'm sure, i will forget this, when trying to add a database the next year with a new installation of foobar:

please add just some more text to the preferences page, like:
"put in Songlengths.txt here" or something, so the user knows, what to do 8-)
this would be great.

because, f2k shows an <?> for any artist here, i have thinked, i could load the STIL.txt database to have a fine display for the artist, songname and year. but that wasnt the idea behind the database....

thanks anyway,
cheers

foo_sid

Reply #39
hi again,
new post, new question :-)

could it be possible to have the field COPYRIGHT shown in the DATE field? (something like a redirection of meta fields)

i'd like to see the date of a playing sid and if it has a field like "COPYRIGHT = 1993 Lamex"
it would be cool to redirect this info (maybe with some regEx...) to another field, like DATE.

i know, COPYRIGHT (in this simple case) is not just a numerical field, and i could look very sh!tty in some cases, but redirecting fields would be a somewhat improvement for displaying sid information in the playlist window.

also, it would be a good thing, to let the user turn off the display (or maybe let him choose the words/symbol) of "<?>" for an unknown field.
i, pers., like nothing to be shown, if there is nothing, to be displayed.

cheers, and thanks again for such a neat little goodworking component! your work is and was very appreceated.

foo_sid

Reply #40
Hi kode54,

I have a strange problem when foo_sid is loaded: foobar2000 constantly eats about 90% of CPU power and its memory footprint raises from 15 Mb to over 100Mb in a few minutes, all of this without foobar having ever started playing anything.

I'm using foo_sid dated 2009-02-08 with foobar2000 0.9.4.1 beta 1.

Thanks.

Edit: the problem was caused by foobar reindexing the library after the component having been installed.

foo_sid

Reply #41
i'd like to see the date of a playing sid and if it has a field like "COPYRIGHT = 1993 Lamex"
it would be cool to redirect this info (maybe with some regEx...) to another field, like DATE.

I always wondered if there is a way to read out the sid-copyright-field. Thank you for the hint. Putting %copyright% in the statusbar-string does the job. Is this documented anywhere?

In the Help-Docs it isnt listed...
file:///C:/Programme/foobar2000/titleformat_help.html (Adjust url to your local installation)

Edit: @fuffi: Wouldnt it be possible to play around with the string-manipulation-functions listed in the document above to get your date-field?

foo_sid

Reply #42
Edit: @fuffi: Wouldnt it be possible to play around with the string-manipulation-functions listed in the document above to get your date-field?

maybe, but i'm a very dumb user who cannot spend 2 weeks trying to have a 4-letter date placed where i like it. :-)
kids want to eat, woman wants new cloths, boss wants almost the rest of my life.
if GUI is heaven, RegEx is hell ;->

foo_sid

Reply #43
Hello,

I have a problem with this file. I can open it and then I see many subsongs, they all sorted from 1 to 16. But they sound completely different, end of subsong 1 doesn't match beginning of subsong 2 etc.

I tried other sid player and it plays file ok.

Thanks.

foo_sid

Reply #44
The song length database is only accurate to the second, so there will be some inaccuracy in the jumps if those tracks are indeed supposed to transition smoothly. Plus, the fade out length specified is included in the song length. Set the fade out to 0 if you want the songs to end without a fade.

foo_sid

Reply #45
The song length database is only accurate to the second, so there will be some inaccuracy in the jumps if those tracks are indeed supposed to transition smoothly. Plus, the fade out length specified is included in the song length. Set the fade out to 0 if you want the songs to end without a fade.

I played with fade, but still there is no smooth transition. So can't listen to this file

Also what I found out - real song duration is ~15 min. But foo_sid found 16 subsongs and all 3 min, so song duration is 16*3=48 mins. If set default song duration to 0:48-0:55 (instead of default 3:00) then subsong transitions become more smoothly, but not ideal.

So, I suppose, there is some issue and foo_sid determines subsongs duration incorrectly...

foo_sid

Reply #46
You need to configure the Song Length Database in Preferences for the component. The tracks you reported have lengths approaching 15 minutes for the first few, gradually getting shorter. And no, they do not transition smoothly, they usually end with a loud noise crash, followed by a second or two of silence.

Open Preferences, navigate to Playback -> Input -> sidplay, click the button with the ..., then navigate to the Songlengths.txt that was bundled with HVSC, in the DOCUMENTS folder.

foo_sid

Reply #47
You need to configure the Song Length Database in Preferences for the component. The tracks you reported have lengths approaching 15 minutes for the first few, gradually getting shorter. And no, they do not transition smoothly, they usually end with a loud noise crash, followed by a second or two of silence.

Open Preferences, navigate to Playback -> Input -> sidplay, click the button with the ..., then navigate to the Songlengths.txt that was bundled with HVSC, in the DOCUMENTS folder.

Yes, songlengths.txt helped, now I can listen to my file  Also I've knew about HVSC, thanks a lot!

But may I ask a silly question - why other sid players (e.g. Sidplay2) works fine without external songlength.txt, but foo_sid needs it?

Thanks.

foo_sid

Reply #48
Sidplay2 does not specify a default length, so it will always play until a song self-terminates. foo_sid defaults to 3 minutes, then skips to the next track.

I don't know why, but I originally made it so when you set it to play forever, it ignores when tracks self-terminate, so they produce silence forever or something. I think I'll change that and push another release.

foo_sid

Reply #49
Sidplay2 does not specify a default length, so it will always play until a song self-terminates. foo_sid defaults to 3 minutes, then skips to the next track.

Ok, thanks