Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer (Read 44363 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer

foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer

I've developed a new visual component for foobar. It's an enhanced spectrum analyzer. The component is still in a beta state. If you find it useful you can download it here: Download

It works with Columns UI and Default UI. Please note that you need the latest version of foobar to use it.

Re: foo_enhanced_spectrum_analyzer

Reply #2
it's good.
A rose will bloom, it then will fade.

Reply #3
I agree it's good, but would be even better with some averaging and/or smoothing options like in Voxengo SPAN.

Reply #5
Beautiful! Thanks for making this. :)

Reply #6
Does it go over 20k ?

Reply #7
This is awesome. Two feature requests:

1. Would you be able to add a feature to save, import, and export settings (ie. color selections)?
2. A setting to use the default Windows colors so it integrates better with the UI.

Reply #8
Great tool!

Maybe kinda off-topic, but is there any possibility to add way to a "cumulative" (or static? I'm not sure what's the right terminology) spectral analysis, like the "frequency analysis" in Audacity? (Or is there already such plugin existing?)

Reply #9
Cool at first try!

Maybe to consider: set frequency range. Useful for zooming in. Or checking your "HD" tracks for tape bias ... OTOH, you maybe wish to keep a "you don't need > 20 kHz!" attitude :-o

Reply #10
If you can't beyond the scale then it's not useful.  🤔

Maybe different preset scales CD, SACD & HD..

Reply #12
Does it go over 20k ?

Yes, depending on the sample rate.

Cool at first try!

Maybe to consider: set frequency range. Useful for zooming in. Or checking your "HD" tracks for tape bias ... OTOH, you maybe wish to keep a "you don't need > 20 kHz!" attitude :-o
Thanks! There is currently no way to extend the visible frequency range. I will check this for a future release!

Reply #13
This is awesome. Two feature requests:

1. Would you be able to add a feature to save, import, and export settings (ie. color selections)?
2. A setting to use the default Windows colors so it integrates better with the UI.
Thanks! Export and import settings to file will be one of the last features i add cause there are a lot of changes to the data structure in the beta phase.
The automatic use of default Windows colors for the default ui is already on the todo list. I think a separate setting to disable this is a good idea.

Reply #14
Great tool!

Maybe kinda off-topic, but is there any possibility to add way to a "cumulative" (or static? I'm not sure what's the right terminology) spectral analysis, like the "frequency analysis" in Audacity? (Or is there already such plugin existing?)
Thanks! I don't know if there is such a tool for foobar. This tool shows you only an analysis of what you hear an what you have heard.

Reply #15
Excellent plugin.

Would is be possible to add an option to change the colour or hide the grey grids on the background?

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #21
Beta feedback:

If you add it in a Panel Stack Splitter , the visualization is not visible, only the Options Menu entry is available.
Thanks for your feedback! It's not designed/tested for Panel Stack Splitter. But I'll take a look at it.

Reply #22
I like it. I don't view spectra that often, but I have had this and foo_musical_spectrum side by side, and I am not sure which I prefer for general visuals.

But foo_musical_spectrum has a couple of features which I at least sometimes would miss from your component. For your consideration:
- octave / "piano key" view. Sometimes more instructive than Hz numbers. Can be "tuned" by setting the pitch for A4 (defaults to 440 Hz).
- "transposition by semitones". Who has a Bb instrument? ;-)
(When I have run tests for infrasound or ultrasound - I have at least a couple of musical pieces with possibly amp-draining infrasound down to 6 Hz - I have tuned/transposed transposed to circumvent its C0-A11 range.)

Reply #23
I like it. I don't view spectra that often, but I have had this and foo_musical_spectrum side by side, and I am not sure which I prefer for general visuals.

But foo_musical_spectrum has a couple of features which I at least sometimes would miss from your component. For your consideration:
- octave / "piano key" view. Sometimes more instructive than Hz numbers. Can be "tuned" by setting the pitch for A4 (defaults to 440 Hz).
- "transposition by semitones". Who has a Bb instrument? ;-)
(When I have run tests for infrasound or ultrasound - I have at least a couple of musical pieces with possibly amp-draining infrasound down to 6 Hz - I have tuned/transposed transposed to circumvent its C0-A11 range.)
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion!
I see your point but musical spectrum and my component have a different approach. I wrote this component to analyze and compare musical productions. I want to see the whole spectrum without any bars in full resolution.
But i will think about it. I could implement a piano / note view as an additional option side by side with the frequency scale. I will take this into my considerations for a future release.

Reply #24
Beta feedback:

If you add it in a Panel Stack Splitter , the visualization is not visible, only the Options Menu entry is available.
Thanks for your feedback! It's not designed/tested for Panel Stack Splitter. But I'll take a look at it.
The new version (0.9.4.2) now supports Panel Stack Splitter: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,116014.msg957490.html#msg957490