Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Case's Meier Crossfeed Component (Read 47436 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Case's Meier Crossfeed Component

Reply #25
I had to be once again more cautious in my expressions comparing xfeed vs mc  ::), its really not that straightforward. While mc has advantage at maintaining freq responce to much higher degree, it really isn't fundamentally aimed as speakers simulator as meaning that it's out of head (front-rear space) effect isn't close to xfeed  ::), what is it's (xfeed) biggest strength.
According to what is expected, one would prefer one or the other, for me optimal is at combining the math of both components together. Question is which one'd be easier to modify to achieve this effect.    

Reply #26
Yeah, that doesn't really bother me as I'm not looking for a crossfeed plugin to "sound like speakers", I have a pair of ATCs for that! ;) I really just want something that is going to take that "stretched inside my head" feeling away from my HD600 headphones, and the Meier Crossfeed does that really well on either 1 or 2 settings. I'm not really into the whole idea of "speaker virtualisation" etc., which is why I've never found things like TB Isone of any use, or to sound any good. Especially things that add reverb, I just hate the sound and idea of it. Want speakers, use speakers, cos no amount of artificial reverb is gonna sound authentic.

Maybe I'll have another look at XFeed now though!

Reply #27
For users with absolute fidelity as top priority, crossfeeds are usually components they try to avoid and "m.c." is likely the only digestible one for them. Counterparts don't care about disadvantages of all those 3D enhancers and Dolby Headphone effects and just enjoy what they hear.
I find myself near "m.c." with less fidelity-strict approach of stereo speaker simulation. xfeed with "natural crossfeed" ideas of "m.c." in simplistic terms crossfeed applied just to off-center instrument placements or m.c. with more customizable parameters, would be my components of choice.  
From what you wrote, just stay with m.c..

I regret there seems no more interest from developers themselves, just few user comments/laments :-( but anyway, i'm very grateful to Xnor, Case and Boris for their components. 

Reply #28
I'd love a VST version too, for when I'm doing audio work on headphones.

I also recently find myself wishing for a setting between 1 and 2. 1 is still a little too wide, 2 works great on most things, but I reckon somewhere in between would suit most material. Any chance of an update?

Reply #29
New version available!
Case, thanks for this great component, was using bs2b before and i really prefer this :3
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #30
Thank you, this is just fab! :)

So the old "1" is now "10" and "2" is 20, right? So good to be able to have exactly the in-between setting I wanted ("15" in the new version, I think?)

Reply #31
That's correct, darkflame23.
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #32
Shinsekai beat me to answering while I was trying to find how to add attachment...

I'm a VST newbie but I tried putting something together. First VST plugin of this DSP is attached. It's made with SDK version 2.4 and it seems to work at least in Audition.

Reply #33
Oh, all my dreams are coming true, thank you so much Shinsekai and Case! Listeing to Pink Floyd's "Meddle" on my HD600s right now as I type this, with it set to 15, and a custom EQ curve in TDR SlickEQ M, just perfect! Will be happy to beta test the VST version as it'll get used a LOT during late night mastering sessions when I can't crank the ATCs!

Reply #35
The link on my site's temp dir is temporary. I uploaded it as an attachment to my earlier post until I figure out where to put it.

Reply #37
Case, is the plugin prone to clipping?
I wonder how much I have to turn the volume down in FB2K to prevent clipping.
I imagine that in the worst case it will double the signal amplitude in the other channel, which would give -6dB as the safest pre-amp setting.

Reply #38
Done a lot of research into this. Yes, the crossfeed plug will clip if the source file is very close to 0dBfs (99.9% of music these days), and in my experiments I needed to turn the worst offenders down about 4-5dB in order to prevent actual clipping, and inter-sample peaks. I put a gain plugin at -6dB in the chain before Case's plug, and forget about it, but it might be nice if this feature was built in. Any chance of that for the next version?

Reply #39
I checked my entire FLAC library and found the highest peak difference to be +7.12 dB with crossfeed strength at maximum. With the default strength 10 the track peak increased by 1.72 dB and with strength 20 the increase was +2.6 dB.

Using ReplayGain is not only smart for fixing volume differences between albums or tracks but also because it solves almost all clipping worries. This worst offender track for example has album gain -11.552052 dB and track gain -11.821412 dB.

I don't think the crossfeed component should include any clipping preventions. There's nothing it can do that would be as good as the Advanced Limiter DSP that comes with foobar2000. And you should only use the limiter as a last step in the DSP chain.

Reply #40
Thanks Case. I never have the Crossfeed above 20, and the overs are far fewer at lower settings, I think. I don't use ReplayGain (mostly listen to albums and adjust levels by hand), but I'll take another look at the Advanced Limiter. I always put dither last in the chain, as am presuming Crossfeed works in 32 or 64 bit float, but my converters are fixed 24bit (I know there are huge debates about whether one should dither from 64 or 32 to 24, or from floating to fixed point, but it's just the way I always do it in my mastering chain).

Reply #41
Hi Case. I just wanted to say thanks. I compared your xfeed with Redline Monitor, TB Isone, Head-fit and VnoPhone. By far I like yours most. I am using it in conjunction with Sonarworks Reference 3 and VstHost. Headphones are Beyerdynamics DT880Pro. Setting is at 25.

Reply #42
Hi,

Does anyone know if this is just a -13dB low shelf filter in the 'difference' component of/ between the two channels?

I've looked at the page that explains it but I can't see how that corresponds to the RC circuit on that page.

Reply #43
Case will need to provide info on how he coded it. It's still the only crossfeed plugin I've found that sounds natural.

Reply #44
I just knew about this plugin today while searching for crossfeed and binaural plugins and I could use some help if you don't mind:

I see there's just a fader from 0 to 100, and that most of you people use between 10 and 25, so what is the best number to emulate two speakers set in an typical equilateral triangle way?

Reply #45
There is no exact figure, just move the fader until it sounds closest to two speakers set in an equilateral triangle way.

Reply #46
The problem is that I don't have (and never had) speakers, so I thought anyone here could help me on this matter.

Reply #47
No plugin or settings can make headphones sound like speakers. The purpose is to only reduce channel separation without altering the sound. If you have music that sounds annoying as only one ear hears certain instruments, tweak the mixing strength until the separation is no longer annoying and leave it there.

Reply #49
Hi there,
I am looking for a 64bit Meyer Crossfeed VST plugin which I could use with the latest Equalizer Apo version.
(I always receive the error that the version which could be downloaded here is 32bit and a 64bit dll is required.)
Does anyone know where I could find such a version?

Thanks a lot.
Cheers