Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDgOGG - Bitrate peeler from iRiver? (Read 2775 times) previous topic - next topic

CDgOGG - Bitrate peeler from iRiver?

Look at this page
http://www.iriver.com/company/news_view.asp?idx=364

Is this going to be a peeler or just a transcoding program. If second, why does it take so much time to develop it?

By the way, does anybody understand what do iRiver mean by 96Kbps ~ 360Kbps?
96 are bad news, but I would like to know is 360kbs
1. max bitrate used in the encoded file? (what a crap :-( )
2. average bitrate of encoded file?
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #1
I understand it as 96AvKbps to 360AvKbps or as Q2 to Q9(+40?) ...
I would have wished it could go much lower ...
for high bitrate there was hardware issues, but why can't it handles very low bitrates ?

Does it means that it is "optimized" starting at Q2 or does it means that it can't handles "at all" ogg below Q2 ?

Some of IRiver hardware are supposed to have voice recording feature ... & for this use if I buy one, I was already planning to use vorbis at 40NKbps so I am a bit surprised ... & even disapointed if 96 min is confirmed ...

Reply #2
I would have wished it could go much lower ...
for high bitrate there was hardware issues, but why can't it handles very low bitrates ?

Agreed..  I use low Q and/or mono for spoken word stuff or recording a show off air that I may only listen to once (but for 2 hours worth it is worth saving some space)