Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some CDs Not Ripping Properly (Read 6492 times) previous topic - next topic

Some CDs Not Ripping Properly

Can someone help me please?

I've recently been adding my music collection to my new computer, but a fair few of my CDs just won't work properly. The vast majority of them rip and play fine, but with around 5% of them or so, they rip at incredibly slow speeds (x0.21 maximum) and when I try to play them - either off of the CD or once they've finally ripped to my computer - they sound horrible and clearly aren't working properly.

I'm using foobar2000, but I've experienced the exact same problem with other media players as well. I don't understand because most CDs are fine, and furthermore most of these CDs have been successfully ripped to my previous computer with no problems whatsoever.

If anyone else experienced a similar problem before, or at least has some idea what the issue may be, then I;d be really grateful for your help. Please bear in mind that I'm not very experienced with these kinds of things, and I'm unlikely to understand a huge amount of technical jargon; so can you keep your answers simple so that an unknowledgable person like myself can understand it please.

Thank you!

Reply #1
You said you ripped to previous computer. Any reason you can't simply copy the digital files from old harddrive/computer to your new computer. Re-ripping seems to be overkill.

Reply #2
You said you ripped to previous computer. Any reason you can't simply copy the digital files from old harddrive/computer to your new computer. Re-ripping seems to be overkill.

Well firstly, that wouldn't solve my problem with some of the CDs, nor with any future CDs I attempt to rip that have a similar problem.

Secondly, I had an awful lot of data to transfer so it was actually faster to rip CDs whilst transferring other data simultaneously.

Reply #3
You have provided almost no relevant info with which others can speculate about the cause of the problem. Which mode are you using to rip: secure or burst? What drive do you have? What ripping settings are you using in the affected programs for things like caching and C2? And so on.

Reply #4
You have provided almost no relevant info with which others can speculate about the cause of the problem. Which mode are you using to rip: secure or burst? What drive do you have? What ripping settings are you using in the affected programs for things like caching and C2? And so on.

Apologies, but this is what I meant when I said that I'm really not clued in to the technical side of things.

So in using foobar2000, you can set the ripping security to 'disabled', 'standard' and 'paranoid'. The situation I've described occurs under the 'disabled' setting and nothing happens at all if I use either of the others. The CD Drive on my computer is a MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E1. I'm afraid I have no idea what caching and C2 is, as I've never come across those terms before. I've certainly not come across them in any of the settings of the programs I've been using, so whatever those settings are they must be the default ones but, as I've said before, the same CDs show the same problems regardless of what program I use.

Reply #5
Assuming the problem isn't obvious like the discs are simply in bad shape, maybe it's a driver error?  I just googled "MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E1" and the very first result is someone unable to rip a CD apparently due to driver issues.

Reply #6
Another thing I'm wondering is how the CD rip "sounds bad."  If it has poor frequency response or audible clipping, it's not the drive.  If it has skips, that might be the drive.

Reply #7
I don't understand because most CDs are fine...
It's common for some CDs to play OK and yet give you trouble when ripping.  CD players and CD player software has error correction and "error hiding" that can mask reading problems.  Most likely, the CDs are damaged/defective and you didn't know it. 

Note that the data-layer on a CD is on the top side (label side), and the CD is read through the entire thickness...  So the damage can be on either side.  The top side is the most vulnerable and damage on the top is often harder to see.

and furthermore most of these CDs have been successfully ripped to my previous computer with no problems whatsoever.
Some drives are better at audio ripping "problem discs" than others.    Here are some Drive Ratings.  Plextor drives have always had a reputation for being good at audio extraction, and some laptop drives have a reputation for being poor.

If you have access to another computer (or another drive), try it.    If I have trouble with a disc, I'll try cleaning it.  If that doesn't help, I'll try another computer.

You can also try polishing-out the scratches.    There are various ways of doing it.  I have a disc polishing machine (it looks like a portable CD player) but, I haven't had much success with it... I assume my discs were damaged on the top side.    And, there are polishing services that will repair your disc for a dollar or two per disc.

As a last resort, you can make an "analog rip" to take advantage of the error hiding.    If your soundcard/driver supports Stereo Mix (recording what's coming out of your computer speakers) you can play the CD on your computer and record it with recording software.    Or, if you have a desktop computer with a regular soundcard you can plug a regular CD player into line-in and record.  Or, AudioGrabber has analog ripping built-in.