Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Writing your own mp3 decoder (Read 6452 times) previous topic - next topic

Writing your own mp3 decoder

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask about this.

How do you go about writing your own mp3 decoder ?

What are the resources that are out there for that ?

Can you please advise me on the starting points ?

Re: Writing your own mp3 decoder

Reply #1
LAME is both an encoder and decoder and the website says:
LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3 encoding.

Reply #2

The MAD decoder was always highly rated and is open source. You will find it and a lot of useful info and links here:

MAD Decoder

Reply #3

The MAD decoder was always highly rated and is open source. You will find it and a lot of useful info and links here:

MAD Decoder

Where are you getting information about the encoding standard itself ?

I tried getting the actual standard from ISO, but its really expensive. Where do I get information about MP3 itself ?

Reply #4
This is beyond my programming abilities but I assume both LAME and MAD are well documented.   These kind of "bigger projects" are also usually team efforts. 

Inside The MP3 CODEC has quite a bit of information, but probably not the nitty-gritty details you need.

MP3 Diags is another open source project that might be helpful.

Reply #5
I can only echo the above.

Reply #6

When I was starting out I went to a university library and borrowed a book on mpeg compression.  Once I was more comfortable with the basics, I started reading source code of existing decoders, which made a lot more sense once I understood what they were doing.   

Reply #8
When I was starting out I went to a university library and borrowed a book on mpeg compression. 

Do you remember what book it was ? Can you please tell me the name ?

Reply #10
This is beyond my programming abilities but I assume both LAME and MAD are well documented.   These kind of "bigger projects" are also usually team efforts. 

Inside The MP3 CODEC has quite a bit of information, but probably not the nitty-gritty details you need.

MP3 Diags is another open source project that might be helpful.

Good starting point. I wish I could have got my hands on the standard.

Reply #11

Great idea, did you manage to write it down?

Reply #12
I tried getting the actual standard from ISO, but its really expensive. Where do I get information about MP3 itself ?
I realise this is a long-dead topic, but just my passing comments...

Yes, obtaining official standards is expensive because they are expensive to produce.  The industry bodies with an interest invest a great deal into researching and coming to agreement on a technical standard, and they want to protect that investment.  Having a standard is intended to ensure interoperability and wide consumer adoption, and anybody wishing to join that club has to stump up the cost of entry.  This applies to all manner of standards, not just MP3.

Anyone not working to the official standard is just guessing.  If third-party encoders/decoders happen to work, it's by trial and error and no guarantees.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #13
Yes, obtaining official standards is expensive because they are expensive to produce.  [...]  This applies to all manner of standards, not just MP3.
Not really. All IETF standards are free, and they are pretty high quality. HTTP, FTP, TCP, UDP, IPv4, IPv6, DHCP, SMTP, IMAP, RTP and hundreds of others are all free. But yes, most standards organisations choose to charge money for viewing those documents.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #14
I realise this is a long-dead topic, but just my passing comments...

Yes, obtaining official standards is expensive because they are expensive to produce.  The industry bodies with an interest invest a great deal into researching and coming to agreement on a technical standard, and they want to protect that investment.  Having a standard is intended to ensure interoperability and wide consumer adoption, and anybody wishing to join that club has to stump up the cost of entry.  This applies to all manner of standards, not just MP3.

Anyone not working to the official standard is just guessing.  If third-party encoders/decoders happen to work, it's by trial and error and no guarantees.
You're right and it's good that industries work this way. This ensures progress.

Reply #15
By the way, today I read an article in the student magazine of my university, now there are several studies going on at the same time and maybe soon we will have a new format that will be easier to use.

Reply #16
By the way, today I read an article in the student magazine of my university, now there are several studies going on at the same time and maybe soon we will have a new format that will be easier to use.
What are you talking about? A new compressed audio format and someone about to write a press release claiming that "it is so much easier for you to play than MP3s" without even mentioning that none of the relevant playing applications are even considering to support it yet?