Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair (Read 5039 times) previous topic - next topic

Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair

Hi folks

As you know, there are a couple of pressings of this album out there... to name a few...

• Original CD Pressing from 1985
  • Original LPs from the same time
  • A remastered-butchered job done in 1999
  • A re-remastered deluxe version from 2006
  • The MFSL version

What is exactly the best one, in a general sense. I know that the 1999 remaster will be ruled out since it's way too compressed, however in the deluxe version the remaster is actually quite good. I also heard the MFSL version which is a bit slower and has less treble. The Original version is known to have swapped channels on CD compared to the LP.

What do you think?

Reply #1
There's actually a difference? LOL Hummm idk which is best that's subjective, can you tell in ABX tests? LOL

Reply #2
You might want to solicit opinions in the Steve Hoffman Forums.

Reply #3
There's actually a difference? LOL Hummm idk which is best that's subjective, can you tell in ABX tests? LOL

Why "LOL"... I didn't get it.
One can say that one version is more comfortable because is more keen to bassy trebleless records. The other may find the harsh snare drums harsh enough. I mean, these comparisons don't need an ABX test at all, it's remastering, not a lossy encode transparency test. ABX doesn't apply here. It may be subjective for what version is best, but there is a "preference" opinion and an "audiophilie" opinion, and only the latter will describe exactly their differences without taking personal likes in account.

Reply #4
I think in many cases people will assume a compressed version sounds worse simply by what the waveform looks like, rather than what it actually sounds like.  If one wants to objectively evaluate differences, the proper test is ABC.  As far as TOS #8 goes, I don't see much of an issue here and doubt any other mod or admin will either.

Reply #5
All I can say is that the original LP pressing is more than acceptable, which I paid ~$5 for a couple years back. I haven't heard the album in any other master.