Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 replacement for linux (Read 9431 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 replacement for linux

-

Reply #1
I've gotten foobar to do all of the above things in via Wine. MPD is the closest thing to perfect playback that I found, but it lacks file management. Good luck finding something (because there isn't).

Reply #2
This has been my (seemingly) eternal quest, and the only thing that has kept me from completly eradicating Windows from my box. For me, the big problem is; foobar has allowed me complete control over the meta-data I tag a track with - and then providing complete access to any/all meta-data contained in the file, and then allowing total freedom in what/how that information is displayed.

Over half my library consists of live concerts. The typical Artist/Album/Track method falls short for these. Most live shows are 2 to 3 CDs of flacs, each show being 1 or more sets. Live shows I tag Artist/Venue/Date/Set/Track. I have yet to find a player in Linux that will even see my Set tag, and I've only found one that recognizes the Venue tag.

I'm still using foobar in Linux with wine - not as a player, the sound is really choppy if you do anything else. And, unfortunately, it only works with the default UI. But I still use it to maintain my tagging standards and mange my library. Replaygain scanner works well too.

As for recommendations....
  • Player: Amarok - it's got a 10 band Eq and some cool features.
  • Masstager: foobar2000 with plenty of wine
  • Conversion: if you are looking for a native *nix app check out Soundkonverter, one nice thing about it is it integrates well with Amarok. But seriously, I use dBpowerAMP with wine - it seems faster to me.

Reply #3
Concerning tags, I'm not that picky. I usually fill Artist/Track/Album/Tracknumber/Genre/Year/Comment tags only. Will a native *nix support masstagging this?

Reply #4
Concerning tags, I'm not that picky. I usually fill Artist/Track/Album/Tracknumber/Genre/Year/Comment tags only. Will a native *nix support masstagging this?

They pretty much all support those standard tags

Reply #5
Quod Libet (player) and Ex Falso (tagger) may also fit the bill. They allow the same freedom with tags as foobar and are supposed to be very customizable in appearance and display/sorting.

Reply #6
*cough* oh, wait, i haven't released it yet
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #7
yes, just elliot, we're waiting patiently!

Reply #8
i'm waiting patiently!

for qt4-ruby not to segfault in svn!

Reply #9
Quod Libet (player) and Ex Falso (tagger) may also fit the bill. They allow the same freedom with tags as foobar and are supposed to be very customizable in appearance and display/sorting.

Actually they don't.... tried them...

Reply #10
This may do more harm than good, but I have Full and Current Plans to write a fb2k clone for Linux. It will be implemented in C++ and will be tightly integrated with KDE4. I'd like to do this for my senior seminar project, and will probably start actual development sometime early next year (after KDE4 has stabilized, and when the course starts).

The idea is to write a client for XMMS2; this way, the heavy lifting is done by people who are more knowledgeable about it than I am. My goal is to make a Better Foobar2000, and I have several pages of user interface sketches detailing exactly how I will do it. I'm pretty excited. I have this whole flexible-view thing laid out and it will be awesome. Masstagger and mass-converter? Hells yeah.

Why? People have more or less answered this already
- Amarok is nice, but is heavy, uncustomizable, and the default xine-engine has poor gapless playback.
- Quod Libet is flexible, but is in GTK+ and has the baggage of Python overhead. Oh, and the GStreamer output? No gapless.
- Aqualung has PERFECT gapless playback. It is, however, ugly as sin.

The Mystery Future Program will fill the void. Stay tuned. But don't hold your breath, folks.

Q2 2008!

Reply #11

How not? I found the tagging not... quite so flexible, but not badly so. And sorting by multiple tags works much more easily and intuitively (for me) than in foobar2000. Mind you I haven't used fb2k for probably a year or more, so I don't really know what's changed.

Oh, and the GStreamer output? No gapless.

This is definitely a problem, but I hope it's only a matter of time before it's fixed. GNOME isn't perfect but I prefer it to KDE 3.x and so GStreamer becomes pretty important for me...

Does Aqualung use some unique method for playing back stuff, or is there a KDE equivalant of GStreamer that is gapless? It's much more useful if a standard(ish) framework can be developed and used for everything, after all!

Reply #12
I've gotten foobar to do all of the above things in via Wine. MPD is the closest thing to perfect playback that I found, but it lacks file management. Good luck finding something (because there isn't).

I second that about MPD - it's fantastic. Much as I love foobar200 for all all-in-one nature, the way forward for me on Linux is MPD for playback and foobar2000 thru wine for tagging/transcoding.

Reply #13
Does Aqualung use some unique method for playing back stuff, or is there a KDE equivalant of GStreamer that is gapless? It's much more useful if a standard(ish) framework can be developed and used for everything, after all!

Aqualung uses some unique method for playing back stuff, because KDE does not have a GStreamer equivalent that can do gapless. Xine claims to be gapless since version 1.1.1, but even with 1.1.4 it is not.
Further, Aqualung is the only media player in Linux I know, which allows you real random playback of audio CDs, where you can play e.g. Track 1, 2, then Track 1 again, Track 7, then Track 1 again. I do not know any other Linux program that can do this.

Reply #14
Xine claims to be gapless since version 1.1.1, but even with 1.1.4 it is not.

Thanks for this information. The last few days I've been desperately trying to configure Amarok to play Vorbis back gaplessly, with little to no success. Good to know that xine itself and not my current Linux setup is the actual problem. Since I'm still new to the Linux community I'm lacking lots of experience concerning the operating system's audio technologies.

Besides, is there any way to setup Amarok to use gstreamer instead? Searching packman and Guru's RPM site via Yast I haven't been successful in finding suitable plug-ins so far.

Edit: Evil grammar!

Reply #15
This may do more harm than good, but I have Full and Current Plans to write a fb2k clone for Linux. It will be implemented in C++ and will be tightly integrated with KDE4. I'd like to do this for my senior seminar project, and will probably start actual development sometime early next year (after KDE4 has stabilized, and when the course starts).

The idea is to write a client for XMMS2; this way, the heavy lifting is done by people who are more knowledgeable about it than I am. My goal is to make a Better Foobar2000, and I have several pages of user interface sketches detailing exactly how I will do it. I'm pretty excited. I have this whole flexible-view thing laid out and it will be awesome. Masstagger and mass-converter? Hells yeah.

Why? People have more or less answered this already
- Amarok is nice, but is heavy, uncustomizable, and the default xine-engine has poor gapless playback.
- Quod Libet is flexible, but is in GTK+ and has the baggage of Python overhead. Oh, and the GStreamer output? No gapless.
- Aqualung has PERFECT gapless playback. It is, however, ugly as sin.

The Mystery Future Program will fill the void. Stay tuned. But don't hold your breath, folks.

Q2 2008!

2008? I doubt people will wait that long (oh, look at me talking!)

Reply #16

How not? I found the tagging not... quite so flexible, but not badly so. And sorting by multiple tags works much more easily and intuitively (for me) than in foobar2000. Mind you I haven't used fb2k for probably a year or more, so I don't really know what's changed.

Quod/Falso doesn't read any of my custom tags for MP3's - flac, on the other hand, all my tags are read fine. And just to make sure I wasn't mistaking foobar's database tags with the tags within the files, I loaded a set of MP3s that I hadn't added to foo's library yet (but were tagged properly). All my custom tags showed properly in foobar - Quod/Falso showed none of my custom tags, including replaygain tags.

Since roughly half my library is MP3 - this obviously is not a workable solution.

And the UI absolutely sucks! Column resizing is completly broken - is this a GTK thing, or where the dev's on crack when they designed it?

Reply #17
And the UI absolutely sucks! Column resizing is completly broken - is this a GTK thing, or where the dev's on crack when they designed it?

that is a gtk thing. it's broken in every app which uses variable column-widths.
I don't know what kind of tags flac files are using but the latest mutagen (1.10) handles my collection very well, including all custom stuff.. whatsoever. (website says IDEv2 and APEv2).. but like the QL page says: everyone likes different things when it comes to music players..

The only thing I really hate about QL is that its bugtracker doesn't work for several months now and development is kind of stuck right now

@KDE4: Isn't GStreamer going to be the default engine in KDE4 (at least inside a wrapper)?
I thought I read that somewhere.

Reply #18
Nah, Phonon is "where itz at" for KDE.

Reply #19
I second that about MPD - it's fantastic. Much as I love foobar200 for all all-in-one nature, the way forward for me on Linux is MPD for playback and foobar2000 thru wine for tagging/transcoding.

Not to mention the ability to control MPD with any MPD client from any computer. I've yet to see this functionality in any Windows audio playback software.

Reply #20
Nah, Phonon is "where itz at" for KDE.

Phonon is just a shiny, pluggable interface for audio. Is there a GStreamer backend in development for Phonon? Yes.

So, in short, yes, KDE4 *can* use GStreamer. Or Xine. Or whatever. It's all transparent to the application developer, and that's why it's pretty cool.

For the record, GStreamer is portable between toolkits; there are C++ bindings for KDE, for example. The reason the KDE devs opted to use the Phonon architecture over Plain GStreamer is that major GStreamer releases are not API compatible. Remember when GStreamer 0.10 came out? Everything using 0.8 broke. KDElibs are designed to be backwards compatible for the ~5 year lifespan or so of the major API revision.

Also, as noted, GStreamer has some problems, like its total inability to play tunes gaplessly. This is an architectural issue and probably will not be solved anytime soon.

Reply #21
that is a gtk thing. it's broken in every app which uses variable column-widths.
I don't know what kind of tags flac files are using but the latest mutagen (1.10) handles my collection very well, including all custom stuff.. whatsoever. (website says IDEv2 and APEv2).. but like the QL page says: everyone likes different things when it comes to music players..

The only thing I really hate about QL is that its bugtracker doesn't work for several months now and development is kind of stuck right now

@KDE4: Isn't GStreamer going to be the default engine in KDE4 (at least inside a wrapper)?
I thought I read that somewhere.

flacs use APE2 tags. And, well, I do have the latest mutagen - so I'm really not sure why it's having issues reading my MP3 custom tags.....

oh well......

Reply #22
flacs use APE2 tags. And, well, I do have the latest mutagen - so I'm really not sure why it's having issues reading my MP3 custom tags.....

Actually, FLAC uses Vorbis tags.  Wavpack uses APE tags.