Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mass Tagging Help (Read 2839 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass Tagging Help

I have a very large live music collection and want to tag everything. Since it's non-released material freedb, dicsdoy, music braiz and the like don't work. The first hurdle is Artist and Album. Artist is easy with the standard properties box because all shows are in separate folders and they are all in a Artist folder. Now for album I've been using the show's folder name ie: JohnPrine1996-05-13.FM_ex.Switzerland
I'm hoping there is script I can use in foo_masstag or some other plug-in that will pull the album tag from the parent folder.

Next is the track name. Many times the person who recorded and shared will have typed in the track name for the file name, and using the properties auto fill values foobar will tag using the file name. One problem is file name will have a starting set of numbers (track number) ie: 13.Sam Stone.
Is there a script again I can use the strip the leading numbers, periods, spaces, etc?

A couple of things I should mention;
All music files are flac
I know very little about scripts, and want to learn. If there are scripts that will work for my problems please enter in reply so I can copy and paste and if you don't mind explain what each operator does.

Re: Mass Tagging Help

Reply #1
You don't need Mass tagger for this. You can use use Automatically fill values from the Properties dialog's Tools menu. Select Other... as source and use this as the source string: %directoryname%\%filename%. Enter this as pattern: %album%\%tracknumber%.%title%.

Reply #2
You don't need Mass tagger for this. You can use use Automatically fill values from the Properties dialog's Tools menu. Select Other... as source and use this as the source string: %directoryname%\%filename%. Enter this as pattern: %album%\%tracknumber%.%title%.

Many thanks @Case this script pulled the album title perfectly from the parent folder name. But it really screwed up the track # tag and did not make any change to the title. It just mashed up the file name and entered as Track number

Example;
Column;               Tag Value
Track no          1.103 The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
File Name        103 The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Tile                       NO value entered
Album              rs2018-05-22.mtx-IEM_ex-.London 1st Night(XAVEL)No Filter Tour  [This entry is correct]

I see now that several operations can happen at one time by using the backslash \ to separate operations. But What I'm trying to accomplish for the title is use the file name "103 The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" and remove the "103 The Rolling Stones - " leaving "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)" is there a way to minus and then a string of wildcard symbols like * in windows search for each space that I want to remove? Cause if there is I could then pull the track no tag from the filename also.
Thanks again for any help.

Reply #3
Hm, is the filename "103 The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)"? If so, the filenaming schedule is that "103" means disc number 1 and track number 3? Is that consistently so? That is different from the dot you described in the first posting - if your naming schedule is not consistent, then expect to do fixups.

For filenames as what I suggested above, I'd say the simplest thing for a novice (you can fiddle around more later!) would be to pull
%tracknumber% %artist% - %title%
from the file name. Then track number will be 103. You can fix that afterwards.

Reply #4
Hm, is the filename "103 The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)"? If so, the filenaming schedule is that "103" means disc number 1 and track number 3? Is that consistently so? That is different from the dot you described in the first posting - if your naming schedule is not consistent, then expect to do fixups.

For filenames as what I suggested above, I'd say the simplest thing for a novice (you can fiddle around more later!) would be to pull
%tracknumber% %artist% - %title%
from the file name. Then track number will be 103. You can fix that afterwards.

I see that the structure of your script matches the structure of the file name this is good info for me. Thanks
Now is there a way to throw out a segment of the file name. Like
%tracknumber% %delete% - %title%    or
%tracknumber% %void% - %title%
%tracknumber% %null% - %title%  or anything??

File names are extremely varied and most of the time do not include the song title.
gd72-10-09d2t06 this is the standard file naming scheme for all Grateful Dead material and most bands that allow taping and sharing. I do use Live show tagger a lot with mixed results I hope to find the perfect info file structure to get better results with the plug-in.

Reply #5
DeadTrader, you might also be interested in the Live Show Tagger AKA foo_tradersfriend <https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_tradersfriend> for tagging some of your non commercial audio.

And if you want to leave the audio files unchanged (so as not to mess up md5 checksums, for example), take a look at m-TAGS <https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_tags>

Reply #6
Now is there a way to throw out a segment of the file name. Like
%tracknumber% %delete% - %title%    or
%tracknumber% %void% - %title%
%tracknumber% %null% - %title%  or anything??
Yes there is! %% throws it away. But you need a "separator sign" before and after; in your case it is space.

Then once you have tracknumbers as 101...199 for disc 1, 200...299 for disc 2 etc., you can populate as follows: As source and as pattern, take respectively
$div(%tracknumber%,100)¨$mod(%tracknumber%,100)
%discnumber%¨%tracknumber%
... assuming that the "¨" is a sign that doesn't show up elsewhere.

As for Grateful Dead: gd72-10-09d2t06 can be fixed as source $replace(%filename%,gd,19) (which both gets an ISO date and removes the "d" that would otherwise be a separator!) and pattern %date%d%discnumber%t%tracknumber%

And, just foo_tags offers external tagging, then foo_external_tags does the same and has more options (as per-file tags file, as per-folder tags files, as database, as alternative data stream) and a bit of semi-official support: Peter tries to maintain compatibility with the new 1.5. On the other hand, foo_tags is more mature, it was first announced seven years ago (on this date, even). None of these work outside foobar2000 though.

Reply #7
Thanks Porcus I'll play with your script and advice. I don't want to work with external tags like needed with .shn files. Ready for general use is what i want. I know that attaching met data will invalidate a .md5 file so I create a flac fingerprint .ffp and as long as you don't change the filename you can modify the metdata all you want and the fingerprint will still confirm the music. Thanks to all for the help and just the fact that I can now grab a full directory and and tag artist and album is huge. I'll keep working on the rest

Reply #8
so I create a flac fingerprint .ffp
Hardly needed. FLAC is a checksummed format - the audio-only MD5 sum (that will be stored in the .ffp) is stored in the file itself, and can be used to verify integrity (i.e. "confirm the music", as you say). For example, you can use foobar2000 with foo_verifier and it will take MD5 from the file.
If you want to verify your conversions from .shn to .flac, you can use https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_bitcompare . You "just" need two perfectly-aligned playlists ... that could be a hassle if you don't keep track of directories and filenaming etc.
Once the .flac are verified to match the .shn, then the MD5sum will live with the FLAC file through metadata manipulation, as long as you don't re-convert.

Not to say that .ffp is useless. For example you may want to check your archive for (audio bit-by-bit) duplicates: A utility that looks for identical files by content, will quickly scan all your .ffp and report if two match. So it is useful for certain purposes. I noticed that in certain trading communities it is heavily used, e.g. this pro-et-contra for traders:
http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFingerprint