Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Waiting Game (Read 4358 times) previous topic - next topic

The Waiting Game

Don't you hate it when you want to do some ripping/encoding and are caught waiting for improvements to be done to formats? Like waiting for Ogg Vorbis to be tuned at higher bitrates and waiting for Musepack SV8 (to fix clipping problems).
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

The Waiting Game

Reply #1
I have one word for you: lossless. B)

The Waiting Game

Reply #2
I have one word, two letters and a number...

LAME MP3

The Waiting Game

Reply #3
I have one word, two letters and a number...

LAME MP3

How do you count? 

Never mind...

But i'd say that MPC is better than MP3 even today. No need to wait for SV8...

The Waiting Game

Reply #4
But i'd say that MPC is better than MP3 even today. No need to wait for SV8...

Ogg is better than MP3 today too but if you want real quality choose Lossless like Monkey's 

Listening 'Flaute' from 'Swipe Me' by 'Barcode Brothers' in MediaJukebox
Made in Portugal

The Waiting Game

Reply #5
I had similar thoughts until I finally decided that I was too indecisive and too much of a perfectionist to choose a format now (i.e., I like the politics of vorbis, the hardware compatibility of mp3, the reported quality of mpc...).  So I'm now finishing ripping my CDs and encoding them with FLAC, and I have some scripts that I can use to transcode/transtag the whole lot of them to something else.  I can put up with using CPU cycles to do this someday in the future, but I really, really, really don't want to ever rip again.

If you're like me, itching to do something even if you don't know what, and you have disk space to spare, I'd pick a lossless format and start ripping...

The Waiting Game

Reply #7
waiting for Musepack SV8 (to fix clipping problems).

I have the feeling that if mppenc wouldn't be reporting the internal clipping, (almost) nobody would notice. Really, it's not as bad as you think and there is allready a solution: --xlevel. If your encodes still clip, the recording suxx like hell, and again you won't notice any audible clippings with all the other crap going on.

The above is 57 words.

The Waiting Game

Reply #8
Internal Clipping is an issue that keeps on popping up, but as it has been said before "Can you actually hear where it clips?" I can't personally hear where the music actually clips and beside Frank Klemm has said there will be a lossless transcode from SV7 encoded tracks to SV8 (clarify if I am wrong  ), so you be ok if you use MusePack to encode your tracks. I use MusePack exclusively to encode all my Compact Disc that I own.

Laters
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

The Waiting Game

Reply #9
I have the feeling that if mppenc wouldn't be reporting the internal clipping, (almost) nobody would notice. Really, it's not as bad as you think and there is allready a solution: --xlevel. If your encodes still clip, the recording suxx like hell, and again you won't notice any audible clippings with all the other crap going on.

if the recording is really bad, shouldn't there be clipping in oggenc and lame too?