Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux: Jon Bringing WMV9 to Linux (Read 10146 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux: Jon Bringing WMV9 to Linux

There is as always a working Proof of Concept program with screenshots.

http://www.nanocrew.net/blog/

Reply #1
this guy is determined to be incarcerated

Reply #2
i'd really like to meet this person, and buy him a beer.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #3
i'd really like to meet this person, and buy him a beer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256347"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Come to Norway and visit him! 
Or send him a Thank you letter... he he

Jon Lech Johansen
Agmund Bolts vei 62
0664 Oslo
Norway

Back to topic:
Great work, as always. I hope it gets its way into the Mac OS version as well, so I could play WMV9 movies without installing MS Media Player. 

Reply #4
Well, this time there is no hack (as in crack). The decoder is the VC1 reference software.

But still nice...

Reply #5
Well, he hasn't released any code to do it *yet*.  So don't get too excited.  As of now, it is only available to SMPTE members.  I don't know how much money it costs to become a member but he would get in probably a lot of trouble if he just released the decoder sources now since they are private.  However, I believe that once the standard becomes finalized the decoder will become public and then it should be ok to say make a patch for ffmpeg.

Reply #6
According to Doom9's forum he just bought a copy of the standard (or a working copy of it).

Reply #7
(allegedly...)

hehe...  good stuff as always.

and i think releasing the source now would be a sure way for him to get incarcerated - as he'd have actually done something wrong this time.  i believe when you purchase a standard, you must sign a NDA.

the decoder will probably become public if VC1 is accepted, but what about the encoder?  could it be like HE-AAC?  as far as i'm aware there's no opensource implementations of that, though that doesn't necessarily mean there can't be one.

Reply #8
and i think releasing the source now would be a sure way for him to get incarcerated - as he'd have actually done something wrong this time. i believe when you purchase a standard, you must sign a NDA.

There is usually no NDA regarding open standards, but only a copyright related to the text of the standard and the source code.
Example: the text of the ISO standard for mp3 is covered by a copyright, and the copyright owners are forbidding public distribution of the final version. In no way that means that you can not talk about what is inside the standard.

the decoder will probably become public if VC1 is accepted, but what about the encoder? could it be like HE-AAC? as far as i'm aware there's no opensource implementations of that, though that doesn't necessarily mean there can't be one.

There is on OpenSource one available, but there is some publically available source code, like the 3GPP one.

Reply #9
thanks for the clarification

i don't work with standards all that often as no doubt you'd have guessed..