Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A problem for Lame (Read 6680 times) previous topic - next topic

A problem for Lame

It's been several times that when listening to a French woman singer not everything was totally alright to me though I was not able to properly abx it.
With 3.98b6 the problems seemed to have disappeared - until today.

Here is a snippet from the track 'Là ou je suis née' from Camille's album 'Le sac des filles': [attachment=4131:attachment]
In the phrase 'il n'ya pas de phares' the ph-sound is not correct. I just abxed it 10/10 using Lame (3.98b6) -V0.

Strange thing is with all these french singer problems: I can hear the problems while just listening intensively, but when it comes to abxing I'm having a hard time.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

A problem for Lame

Reply #1
Strange thing is with all these french singer problems: I can hear the problems while just listening intensively, but when it comes to abxing I'm having a hard time.

If you can exclude placebo, so that this "pattern" is reproducable, then i may have an explanation for this "strange" phenomenon: subconscious and conscious perception. When you ABX, then you quite probably shift focus to conscious perception. The other listening situation where you describe that you can often notice that something is wrong, may be a more "intuitive and heuristic" approach to listening. How to check for that is quite simple: Dont change your mindstate when ABXing.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

A problem for Lame

Reply #2
If you can exclude placebo ...

As long as I can't get proper ABX results I can't of course. In a sense I'm quite happy I finally was able to really abx this kind of problem.
...When you ABX, then you quite probably shift focus to conscious perception. The other listening situation where you describe that you can often notice that something is wrong, may be a more "intuitive and heuristic" approach to listening. How to check for that is quite simple: Dont change your mindstate when ABXing.

Guess that's the explanation. Unfortunately I'm pretty unsuccessfull so far shifting conscious mindstate to nonconscious when abxing.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

A problem for Lame

Reply #3
... Strange thing is with all these french singer problems: I can hear the problems while just listening intensively, but when it comes to abxing I'm having a hard time.

It needs a lot of concentration because the differences are so small, but I didn't have problems with finding them. I don't know if I can describe the differences correctly, but I would say that the singer's voice has lost some of the crispness (it doesn't "sparkle" as much) and the long vowels have slightly different pitch towards the end of each breath in the -V0 encoded sample.

Code: [Select]
foo_abx 1.3.1 report
foobar2000 v0.9.4.5
2007/12/31 00:11:25

File A: U:\test\Lame Problem\LaOuJeSuisNee.flac
File B: U:\test\Lame Problem\LaOuJeSuisNee (3.98b6-V0).mp3

00:11:25 : Test started.
00:14:20 : 01/01  50.0%
00:15:21 : 02/02  25.0%
00:15:46 : 03/03  12.5%
00:16:22 : 04/04  6.3%
00:16:44 : 05/05  3.1%