Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LG GSA-5120D (Read 4089 times) previous topic - next topic

LG GSA-5120D

Hello!

I was thinking about buying the LG GSA-5120D as it supports DVD-RAM and DVD+RW DL. However, I have been told that it isn't possible to create movie DVDs with it, as it cannot change the book type. Is it true that I can only write data DVDs with it?

Anyways, what do you guys think about the product? Is it worth the 179 €?

Regards,
Sebastian Mares

LG GSA-5120D

Reply #1
I don't know for sure if it has a locked book type (probably it does, GSA-4120B too AFAIK), but it really is a marginal problem. Book type thing is just a few bits which define if the disc is a DVD-ROM, or DVD+-R/W, but very few players care about that - most of them (nearly 100% I'd say) will play the movie from any media, even from CD-R/W (miniDVD). Yesterday I tried to burn some movie with my GSA-4120B (on both DVD-RW & DVD+RW) and it plays back flawlessly on my pretty old stand-alone Philips DVD-player and internal PC DVD-drive. Besides, in case of problems, I bet that it's just a question of few days, and there will be firmware hacks available which will allow changing the book type (there already are for GSA-4120B), and probably there already are firmware hacks which make your DVD player not caring about book type

EDIT: You wrote that it supports DVD+RW DL, it doesn't - there's no such a thing as DVD+RW DL yet, only DVD+R DL and that's what is supported. And what do I think about the product? I have GSA-4120D since 2 days, and didn't find any bad sides yet. As for the cost, GSA-5120D is an external (more expensive) version of GSA-4120B, so if you can, buy the cheaper internal version. For now I'd say that it's definitely worth the money.

LG GSA-5120D

Reply #2
LG drives a bad for DAE. For DVD-R I would buy a Lite-On because there are so many tools out there for them.

LG GSA-5120D

Reply #3
I don't know for sure if it has a locked book type (probably it does, GSA-4120B too AFAIK), but it really is a marginal problem. Book type thing is just a few bits which define if the disc is a DVD-ROM, or DVD+-R/W, but very few players care about that - most of them (nearly 100% I'd say) will play the movie from any media, even from CD-R/W (miniDVD). Yesterday I tried to burn some movie with my GSA-4120B (on both DVD-RW & DVD+RW) and it plays back flawlessly on my pretty old stand-alone Philips DVD-player and internal PC DVD-drive. Besides, in case of problems, I bet that it's just a question of few days, and there will be firmware hacks available which will allow changing the book type (there already are for GSA-4120B), and probably there already are firmware hacks which make your DVD player not caring about book type

EDIT: You wrote that it supports DVD+RW DL, it doesn't - there's no such a thing as DVD+RW DL yet, only DVD+R DL and that's what is supported. And what do I think about the product? I have GSA-4120D since 2 days, and didn't find any bad sides yet. As for the cost, GSA-5120D is an external (more expensive) version of GSA-4120B, so if you can, buy the cheaper internal version. For now I'd say that it's definitely worth the money.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232028"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the information! As for DVD+RW DL, I knew they don't exist - I am wondering why I wrote that. 

Anyways, I thought that the booktype thingy would be more dramatical for DVD+R DL, as my NEC 1300A cannot change the booktype either and all DVDs play back correctly in my Pioneer DVD player.

LG drives a bad for DAE. For DVD-R I would buy a Lite-On because there are so many tools out there for them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232030"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, but I won't use the drive for ripping audio. I already have my LITE-ON LTR-52246S for that.
However, I regret that LGs cannot analyze PI/PO errors for example and that sort of things. In the last c't (IIRC), the LITE-ON drive produced a lot more errors on the DVDs than the LG. Also, LITE-ON doesn't support DVD-RAM.

LG GSA-5120D

Reply #5
Here in Poland GSA-4120D bulk costs about 120euro and the price swings slightly back and forth. I guess they'll get cheaper when there will be some faster drives, but I have no idea when (16x for DVD+R should be ready in a couple of months, and 16x for DVD-RAM is said to be available in half of a year).

LG GSA-5120D

Reply #7
I just flashed an A104 firmware and installed the newest Nero, and now it is possible to change the book-type