Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: At what bitrate is AAC *universally* transparent? (Read 25251 times) previous topic - next topic

At what bitrate is AAC *universally* transparent?

Reply #25
Does anyone know a good killer sample for AAC?

I tried to ABX the "castanets" with AAC @ 192 kbs with my equipment and didn't succeed (9/16). With LAME at api I can even ABX the sample with 16/16!

Reply #26
Do we also see things that are invisible?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266506"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it is usually called a hallucination.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #27
Still lacking hardware support and falling prices for storage seem to erode the AAC faction - AND then there also is all that DRM talk which makes people shy away... Recently, I purchased my first portable player and found out that actually the options you had for AAC playback have shrunk instead of become bigger. Add the fact that AAC's superiority over MP3 gets more impressive at lower bitrates but portables tend to feature 512+ MBs storage today, instead of the typical 128 MBs of the old days, and you run out of sane arguments for using AAC. It is a pity, the industry shot themselves in the foot. Even the sternest AAC fans, guruboolez and rjamorim have wandered off for those reasons.

Myself, I don't have logical reasons for sticking with AAC; I just trust Nero's 'extreme' preset more than LAME's 'extreme' preset and I consider lossless audio a bit of a waste of space.

Perhaps AAC support will catch up a bit when players for the successor of DVDs come out that should be able to play AAC, too. That should prompt in turn the market for AAC portables. But perhaps not, and in that case I'll just stick with transcoding AAC 'extreme' to MP3 'extreme' for use on Zen Touch player and indulge in my lunacy...

Reply #28
I tried to ABX the "castanets" with AAC @ 192 kbs with my equipment and didn't succeed (9/16). With LAME at api I can even ABX the sample with 16/16!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277926"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I could abx it at aac 128kbps, but not 192kbps. It was a breeze with api 3.96.1. I also tried for fun with iTunes mp3 @ 192kbps, and that sounded almost as bad as the xing sample to my ears..

edit: quickly tried "fatboy" and that seemed to break the aac encoder pretty badly at 192kbps.

Reply #29
I remember  the main goal of AAC was CD quality @96kbps (like mp3 @128kbps ). Maybe it´was a dream I had...in 10 years perhaps it´s true

Reply #30
Do we also see things that are invisible?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=266506"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, it is usually called a hallucination.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277934"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A hallucination isn't invisible.... Your mixing up the terms here...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #31
novocane, I remember hearing on one of the G4TechTV shows (The Screen Savers maybe?) that 96kbps near-CD quality really was the goal of MPEG-4 AAC.

The way I see it, at least AAC is a slight improvement (however slight) over MP3 at similar bitrates...unlike WMA which seems to be a step backward for everything except super low bitrates (<96kbps).  :-P

Reply #32
I remember  the main goal of AAC was CD quality @96kbps (like mp3 @128kbps ). Maybe it´was a dream I had...in 10 years perhaps it´s true
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293590"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I find it to be a marked difference between AAC @ 96kbps and 128kbps, at least with the QT encoder. It also says in the help file that they don't recommend using less than 128kbps for music. In other words, I don't think they aim for transparency at bitrates below 128kbps.

Reply #33
A hallucination isn't invisible.... Your mixing up the terms here...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293593"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was a joke, btw.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #34
With my speakers, I can tell the difference between 500kbps ogg and lossless. What's my point? Theres no such thing as real transparency, theres always someone that can tell the difference (eg: me). Universally transparent is an oxymoron. It's impossible. Besides, that's no what you want anyways. You want whats transparent to you. Do a listening test and decide for youself.

Reply #35
With my speakers, I can tell the difference between 500kbps ogg and lossless. What's my point? Theres no such thing as real transparency, theres always someone that can tell the difference (eg: me). Universally transparent is an oxymoron. It's impossible. Besides, that's no what you want anyways. You want whats transparent to you. Do a listening test and decide for youself.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293792"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're seriously able to ABX a 500kbps file from the source?    Whoa.

Does anyone know a good killer sample for AAC?

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277926"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good question; I agree that 192kbps is enough for castanets.  I thought long and hard about this and even tried a few.  I couldn't even ABX the infamous fatboy.wav "zipper" sound at 192kbps QT AAC-LC (although it had horrible artifacting at 128kbps).  Can anyone find or think of any other samples?  I'm really curious too.

Reply #36
For some people (lossy) transparency is impossible. ABXing doesn't tell the whole story, because when you've compressed everything yourself you do know how it's been compressed, and for those perfectionists amongst us any lossy file will (seem to) sound worse, simply because they know it's lossy.

Reply #37
For some people (lossy) transparency is impossible. ABXing doesn't tell the whole story, because when you've compressed everything yourself you do know how it's been compressed, and for those perfectionists amongst us any lossy file will (seem to) sound worse, simply because they know it's lossy.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293884"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you talking about a placebo effect?  If so, I'm not sure that's an objective statement about audio quality at all.

Reply #38
Yes... I'm prejudice in my blind tests, lol.

Reply #39
Are you talking about a placebo effect?  If so, I'm not sure that's an objective statement about audio quality at all.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=293915"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The question wasn't when is it objectively transparent, it was when it's universally transparent. My point was that universal transparency isn't really relevant to an individual choosing how to archive files - he could ABX it personally, use an extreme preset or leave it lossless, but since it's impossible to be objective while listening outside of a blind test, psychological effects are going to play a part in the listening - I don't ever do lossy compression for that very reason - I've no idea how high I can ABX mp3/ogg/aac from the original (although some time when I have a nice PC audio set up I plan on doing some tests...) but when I'm listening normally it doesn't sound as good to me, so I only use lossless formats unless I'm sending stuff to other people to listen.

I think there have been tests done, and if there are I'm sure someone else could link you.