Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: any quality loss converting mp2 to wav? (Read 2479 times) previous topic - next topic

any quality loss converting mp2 to wav?

i have a live show that was only distributed in mp2 format, and looking for the best way to split the tracks without further loss of quality.
looking to import to audacity, split the tracks and export them as wavs.
is there any quality loss when doing this?

Reply #1
Technically, converting a lossily encoded stream to an uncompressed one is a lossy process, but it will not result in any numerically or audibly appreciable degradation (usual disclaimer: unless the decoder is horribly broken).

Of course, if you then convert those WAV files to any other lossy format, that’s a particularly lossy process, and you may well hear a reduction in quality there.

Reply #2
awesome. good to hear. thanks

Reply #3
Now that I think about it more, MP2 may be possible to split without decoding at all. See whether mp3DirectCut can load and process your files.

Reply #4
sweet. it loads it fine, i just gotta install the mpglib.dll. thanks man