Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Locking the width or height of UI elements (Read 413 times) previous topic - next topic

Locking the width or height of UI elements

I hadn't locked the resizing of elements/borders/panes (what's the correct terminology?) until yesterday, so today I have a question.....

When moving the cursor over a border that's not locked, the cursor changes from the standard "select" pointer to either a vertical or horizontal resize pointer. Once resizing is locked though, there's nothing to indicate you're hovering over a border, so right clicking and opening the appropriate menu becomes somewhat hit and miss (I'm only referring to when Layout Editing Mode is active).
There's several other pointers that could be used. "Precision Select", "Text Select", "Alternative Select" etc. It's probably not important which one it is, as long as there's something to indicate you're over the target area.

Working with splitters and tabs seems to make things more funky, because even with the "resize" pointers active, I couldn't tell if a right click would result in the menu for the Splitter UI element, the Tabs UI Element, or for the UI element they contained. I might be missing something as I've only been locking resizing for about 15 seconds in total, or for roughly three hours if you count the time spent trying to click on the correct pixel . :)

It'd be simpler to right click somewhere on a UI element and have the menu items for resizing and borders included, but maybe when you have a UI element inside a UI element inside a UI element, combining the menus might be tricky. I've only considered that possibility for as long as it took to type the last two sentences....

Cheers.