Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [development suspended] Spotify Integration (foo_spotify) (Read 47207 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Spotify Integration (foo_spotify)

Reply #125
It started working again. No idea why. I didn't change anything here.

Reply #126
It started working again. No idea why. I didn't change anything here.

They were messing around with user-agent based filtering that weekend, I think.

Anyway, seems like the API has changed and it's broken again. Adding a playlist just results in one unplayable item with metadata that looks like this

Reply #127
This is really great!
I'm quite new to Foobar, so maybe this is a stupid question.
How do I add the spotify albums to my library, it seems they are now only in my playlist.

Same question here. Is this possible?

Reply #128
^ Maybe m-TAGS ? I have not used this Spotify component so not sure how it works, but remote music can be added to library by saving a local m-TAGS file* - radio streams, podcasts, foo_youtube albums + music videos, etc. I cannot say for sure it works with this component as it might need support added to recognize m-TAGS paths?

* (select tracks in playlist > right-click > Tagging > Create m-TAGS file > save to a monitored library folder)

See also: Find & Play (script for Spider Monkey Panel) + YouTube Source + m-TAGS - which together can save remote albums to library (streamed from YouTube)

Reply #129
^ Maybe m-TAGS ? I have not used this Spotify component so not sure how it works, but remote music can be added to library by saving a local m-TAGS file* - radio streams, podcasts, foo_youtube albums + music videos, etc. I cannot say for sure it works with this component as it might need support added to recognize m-TAGS paths?

* (select tracks in playlist > right-click > Tagging > Create m-TAGS file > save to a monitored library folder)

See also: Find & Play (script for Spider Monkey Panel) + YouTube Source + m-TAGS - which together can save remote albums to library (streamed from YouTube)

Excellent, that worked!

Note to self, if I forget (and others who might want to do the same):

Spotify: Select all "My Liked Songs" and save to a playlist.
Bring in that playlist to foobar2000.
From foobar2000 playlist, select all songs and create m-TAGS file. Add to monitored folder.
Spotify songs will have unknown Genre, so to play only the Spotify tracks, select the Unknown Genre, and music can be browsed the way it should have been from the start in Spotify.

Reply #130
Stopped working for some reason. I'm unable to log-in, getting a "Failed to login: Needs a premium account" message. Tried several times. Apps and devices work.
My account is running on a Premium Family plan.

Reply #131
The component uses libspotify (a free library that was the main way of integrating with Spotify from ~2009-2015) to access tracks. Spotify disabled access as of today, so the component can't access Spotify any longer.  :(

"As promised last month, Spotify disabled access to libspotify on 16/05/2022. As of today, seven years after libspotify was deprecated, there is still no official replacement library available."

https://developer.spotify.com/community/news/2022/04/12/libspotify-sunset/

Reply #132
Oh well, this means it may be time to drop Spotify in favor of another streaming service. The availability of this plugin was the key advantage it had for me over the competition.

Reply #133
I wonder if librespot can be dropped in as a replacement without too much rewriting

Reply #134
I wonder if librespot can be dropped in as a replacement without too much rewriting

https://github.com/TheQwertiest/foo_spotify/issues/39 shows that there wasn't much interest to pursue that path 18 months ago, and is not a case that the project is very active in development. There are some other plugin projects in github, but almost all of them inactive for years.

Reply #135
https://github.com/TheQwertiest/foo_spotify/issues/39 ...

Yeah understandably OP probably has other stuff going on these days, and of course his work is greatly appreciated - I've been using this plugin extensively every day since I first tried it out. Luckily for us he chose to leave it open so I'm just wondering what the effort would be to drop in librespot vs a total rebuild. TheQwertiest, if you end up stopping by, could you provide any info about the problems with librespot on windows?

This whole desktop player ecosystem is sort of a ghost town these days in favor of various flavors of chromium. Think if we hold on a little longer the cycle will come back around? I sure hope so.

Reply #136
https://github.com/TheQwertiest/foo_spotify/issues/39 ...

Yeah understandably OP probably has other stuff going on these days, and of course his work is greatly appreciated - I've been using this plugin extensively every day since I first tried it out. Luckily for us he chose to leave it open so I'm just wondering what the effort would be to drop in librespot vs a total rebuild. TheQwertiest, if you end up stopping by, could you provide any info about the problems with librespot on windows?

Yes, totally thankful to TheQwertiest for creating and sharing his work. But outside him, I didn't see contributions to the project from other developers so my hopes are not high in this evolving to a working plugin again using a diff SDK/API.

This whole desktop player ecosystem is sort of a ghost town these days in favor of various flavors of chromium. Think if we hold on a little longer the cycle will come back around? I sure hope so.

100% agree. I hate to run a +500MB pgm just to listen to spotify, so anything that allows integration to an existing player or lightweight client, that will be my preference.

Re: [development suspended] Spotify Integration (foo_spotify)

Reply #137
This component is no longer being developed. See #68 for more info.

PS: Does not matter much to be honest, since I wouldn't be able to work on it any time soon anyway.

Reply #138
if someone else could continue development that would be great. spotify's own app is so cumbersome.

Reply #139
Continuing development would require implementing a Spotify interface from scratch, since the API isn't documented.

Reply #140
Continuing development would require implementing a Spotify interface from scratch, since the API isn't documented.

RIP then. such a shame spotify had to disable libspotify, though inevitable I guess.

Reply #141
Having no premium account so far I used this nice component (and Spotify) as a source of tags. Is there an easy way to grab it to playlist? Spotify has filled composers and performers lines sometime which is quite useful.