Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Album list folder structure view (Read 21702 times) previous topic - next topic

Album list folder structure view

This version seems to work pretty well.  One thing I noticed is that when I go to "library>album list" and then select "by folder structure". it just lists all albums under "all music" instead of showing the album listing and count by each folder in my library.

Is this displaying as intended and I am misinterpreting what this does, or should this be showing album counts for each of the separate folders in my library?  thanks

Reply #1
Folder structure works as intended here with 1.1.6 beta 1.
It should be a mirror of the directory structure as seen via explorer starting with whatever parent directory you specified in library configuration. In case you were not aware, it is more than a count - as in click the + sign.

Reply #2
Folder structure works as intended here with 1.1.6 beta 1.
It should be a mirror of the directory structure as seen via explorer starting with whatever parent directory you specified in library configuration. In case you were not aware, it is more than a count - as in click the + sign.

That's what I thought because that's what it used to do and what the other views still do, but I'm not seeing this for the folder breakdown.  Should I have something specific for folders under preferences>media library>album list>views?  I have settings for the other views there but not folders.  I did not make any changes to my config other than do the upate.  thanks

Reply #3
Should I have something specific for folders under preferences>media library>album list>views?

It's not in the preferences because it's not configurable. It always shows in the view selector at the bottom of the album list pane/window.

it just lists all albums under "all music" instead of showing the album listing and count by each folder in my library.

You can Press the * key on your keypad to expand all collapsed nodes. Is that what you want?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
There are no nodes to expand or collapse for the folder view - just a flat list of all albums, even though I have albums in seven different directories.  It displays all the albums in all several directories, but without the folder-by-folder breakout to expand or collapse.

All the other views work correctly.  This used to work for me in previous releases.

(sorry it took me a while to upload the screen shot) (note that there is no plus sign to expand or collapse in the folder view - it's always just flat as shown above now).

Reply #5
Can you post a screenshot?
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
I forgot to also point out that the second song on the screen shot is in a different directory than the songs above and below it, so this view is reading from the different directories, but not displaying them as I expect or others indicate should appear.

Reply #7
Do the folders you have added in the Media Library contain subfolders or do they directly contain the MP3 files?

Reply #8
Each of the eight directories entered under preferences>media library>music folders directly contains the songs without any subdirectories.  All the songs in each of the eight directories are displayed in the folder view, but without the expand/collapse and sorting by each of the eight directories.  FWIW, two of the directories have about 8k songs each, and the other six directories have the remaining 1200 or so songs.

As I think about it, you may be on to something here.  In the past I had my library organized such that all songs were in a nested series of directories, and that structure seemed to work in this view the way I expected and others mentioned.  None of the eight directories entered in the music folders are nested under another folder entered in the music folders (if any were, past experience tells me I would not need to list it separately under music folders). 

I would hope that the folder view is still intended to show folder-by-folder breakouts even if all folders are not nested under a single folder, but please let me know what you think.  thanks!

Reply #9
I would say your have your answer already. It should be quicker to just drag your 8 folders under a parent than waiting on an answer.
Interesting issue.

Reply #10
I agree, but the nature of the directories will prevent me from doing that, since the two big directories are on separate hard drives.  I don't have enough rooom to nest them all on the same hard drive.

I hope that nesting is not required for the folder view in a future release.  Thanks for everyone's help!

Reply #11
I felt the same as you so I did some custom scripting:

Code: [Select]
$if($strcmp($substr($directory_path(%path%),1,14),E:\Scene\Music),* Scene 
| $directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),3))
| $directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),4))
| $directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),5))
| %filename_ext%

,Non-Scene
| $directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),3))
| $directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),4))
| %filename_ext%

)

It looks for the the path "E:\Scene\Music" if it finds it it does the first one else the other.

$directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),3))

It checks for how many backslashes the path path contains by taking the full path and subtracting it by the "full path minus the Backslashes (which it $replace:d with nothing)"

The it goes up in the tree structure by the amount specified at the end.

YOU could do something similar to this by:

$if($strcmp($substr($directory_path(%path%),1,14),G:\Music),HDD G: 
| $directory(%path%,$sub($sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,\,))),1))
| %filename_ext%
,)
$if($strcmp($substr($directory_path(%path%),1,14),D:\Music),HDD D:
| %filename_ext%
,)
$if($strcmp($substr($directory_path(%path%),1,14),E:\Music),HDD E:
| %filename_ext%
,)

That is how I solved it. You might have to edit the code!

Cheers
David Snipes

Reply #12
David, a belated thanks.  I just discovered that 1.1.6 beta 3 now displays the song count by folder, without nesting as previously required, without any tweaks.