Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vinyl Player (Read 5268 times) previous topic - next topic

Vinyl Player

Hi, Im thinking about getting some turntables for christmas, but my parents think im mad because there are such things as CD players ans things. In my experience with them, they sound better, not the quality, just better. What are everyone else's thoughts on vinyl?

Vinyl Player

Reply #1
Sure, vinyl can sound good -- in good condition, properly cleaned, everything well aligned, good phono stage, well isolated motor, quality cartridge, etc.  Unfortunately it's too easy for vinyl to sound like crap with a "missing link" or two there.

A good reason to get into vinyl would be listening to out of print LPs that aren't available on CD, or finding music cheap at a nearby thrift store.  Sound quality (imho) is not a very good reason, unless you put in plenty of time and money to get it -- particularly the time it takes to get everything right.

DJ'ing is a different story, of course... you said getting "some turntables?"

Vinyl Player

Reply #2
Well, yeah, maybe a bit of dj'ing. The reasoin Iv thought about having these lately is, that I went to my friends house recently, and he had exactly the same song as i did, exept his was on vinyl, mine was on CD. For some reason, the tune sounded, just dancier.

Vinyl Player

Reply #3
I just love to put on an LP now and then ... it does not always sound better than CD, but it always creates a relaxing atmosphere ...

Unfortunately, a good vinyl setup will cost you more than the CD equivalent ... decent turntable, cartridge, alignment, regular stylus cleaning, phono preamp, regular care for your LP's ... additionally, your amp should feature a phono stage and a subsonic filter ... phono stage can be aqcuired separately if necessary (pricing ranges from 50€ up to ... well ... sky is the limit)
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Vinyl Player

Reply #4
For good quality...you will need decent setup..........and in this """digital"""time........i dont think its worth the time and money......

Vinyl Player

Reply #5
And 1% only of recent release are issued on vinyl.