Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wireless S/PDIF (Read 17592 times) previous topic - next topic

Wireless S/PDIF

Hello

has someone ever tried to send an SPDIF output threw a wireless video transmitter for home use ? It appears to be working....

THX in advance

Handyman

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #1
NEW

I did try it with a standard wireless for home use and it works fine!

Audio Device (1) S/PDIF OUT -> Wireless Video Transmitter VIDEO IN -> Reciever VIDEO OUT -> S/PDIF IN Audio Device (2)

Even 96 kHz S/PDIF! Not bad for about 50$.

Enjoy if you need

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #2
NEW

I did try it with a standard wireless for home use and it works fine!

Audio Device (1) S/PDIF OUT -> Wireless Video Transmitter VIDEO IN -> Reciever VIDEO OUT -> S/PDIF IN Audio Device (2)

Even 96 kHz S/PDIF! Not bad for about 50$.

Enjoy if you need

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359484"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the note bizangoin.  I've heard that this would work, good to have a data point that it does.  And I suppose you could use multiple receivers around the house too...
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #3
what wireless adapter are you using? just curious...

Peace

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #4
I have used a THOMSON VS470 Wireless device. It is a very common model.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #5
That's actually very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing, this idea would never have occurred to me!

(and to think that a few years ago I worried about the limited bandwidth of coax cable possibly harming spdif connections....)

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #6
Thanks bizangoin for sharing your experiences.
I also thought about how to transfer wirelessly an SPDIF audio signal.
I've read this Video transmitter thing other sites too.

Does anybody else found any little device which can do this task?

I wonder how these wireless video sender sends the signal which is connected to it's Video input. Does it transmits the SPDIF digital audio totally transparently, bit-perfect?

BTW I have "Logitech Wireless Music System for PC", this is good, but it transmits only analog sound.
I also have the Logitech (Slimdevices) Squeezebox and Roku Soundbridge too, but I thought I'd connect the SPDIF outout of the PC too.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #7
I have "Logitech Wireless Music System for PC", but it transmits only analog sound.

Really? A transmitter like this couldn't make good quality analogue possible. In the docs I read it's using Bluetooth protocol.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #8
Really? A transmitter like this couldn't make good quality analogue possible. In the docs I read it's using Bluetooth protocol.

Hi
I'm correcting myself. It indeed using Blutooth, and it's transmits the sound digitally. It's basically an USB soundcard, transmits the signal digitally, and at the receiving end it just contains a D/A converter, and gives out an analog sound, that's it. It would be perfect if it could contain the SPDIF out also.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #10
Thanks bizangoin for sharing your experiences.
I also thought about how to transfer wirelessly an SPDIF audio signal.
I've read this Video transmitter thing other sites too.

Does anybody else found any little device which can do this task?

I wonder how these wireless video sender sends the signal which is connected to it's Video input. Does it transmits the SPDIF digital audio totally transparently, bit-perfect?

BTW I have "Logitech Wireless Music System for PC", this is good, but it transmits only analog sound.
I also have the Logitech (Slimdevices) Squeezebox and Roku Soundbridge too, but I thought I'd connect the SPDIF outout of the PC too.

I also have (although I don't use it any more) a Logitech wireless music sender (Bluetooth) and if the receiving unit had a digital output, that'd have been be very neat indeed. Nice, useable piece of kit with a decent range, anyway, although re-pairing the connection was a bit of a nuisance.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #11
Did you guys notice that the last post was almost 7 years old?
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #12
Topic is interesting though. I'm wondering why it works, and if you can transmit encoded Dolby or DTS streams. I remember I had some success with an Airport Express in transmitting DTS WAV but that's very cumbersome, and was getting stutters. Not that I need to do it nowadays though.

Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #13
Oh god yes!!  I love a solution for transmitting 5.1 audio digitally like that.

Re: Wireless S/PDIF

Reply #14
I know this is an old thread.
Did anyone else try this out? Will this work with any kind of wireless video transmitter which is able to send composite video using simple modulation? Does S/PDIF have any kind of error checking to know if data is arrived bit perfectly?

Mod: Just saw that even dirty cheap car backup camera transmitters should work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB529QdaZm8 Mind=blown. I should try this out.

Reply #15
SPDIF requires a 32 bit word for each channel. There is a pre-amble and a couple of status bits including a parity bit.
Due to this parity bit error detection is possible.
SPDIF is a unidirectional real-time protocol.
If the receiver detects an error in cannot ask the sender for a retry because it is unidirectional.
Even if this would be possible, the retry  is of no use as the new sample will arrive to late (real-time).
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #16
But I assume if the receiver detects errors it can replace them with silence instead of playing garbage. Is that right?

Reply #17
Don’t know.
Bit errors are rare.
If they are massive, you hear a lot of static from your speakers and run for the volume control :)
TheWellTemperedComputer.com