Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wanted: WASAPI or ASIO input to fb2k (Read 2585 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted: WASAPI or ASIO input to fb2k

The foobar2000 community has done a great job of providing a variety of DSP components, with low CPU usage.  Many of these would be useful on the output of other apps.  For example, fb2k has WASAPI exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds.  ASIO4ALL achieves this only with apps supporting ASIO, and not with as many soundcards.

I would like to have a fb2k plugin that provides a WASAPI or ASIO input to fb2k.  This would allow configuring other apps, and Windows itself, to use fb2k as an output device.  This, in turn, would allow fb2k DSPs to apply to audio from other apps!  For example, special headphone processing.  WASAPI or ASIO input to fb2k opens up a new world of possibilities!

The big motivation for me is having fb2k resample all rates to support my soundcard/DAC running at a fixed rate.  I tested fb2k with the foo out wasapi and SoX resampler components.  I played a 24-bit 44.1k stereo file, with the SoX resampler set to best quality and 192k output rate.  With my humble Intel Core-i5 CPU, this configuration uses only 1% of the CPU, with an occasional bump to 2%!  I tried using the REAPER DAW app to do the same resampling, and it consumes 100% CPU with Extreme, 50% CPU with Best playback resampler mode settings.  Therefore, I gave up on doing real-time resampling in REAPER.  Also, Wavosaur has an internal resampler, but it resamples 88.2k rates to 44.1k!  In summary, fb2k has a CPU-efficient resampler with high audio quality, while my other audio apps do not.

Any Windows developers who are interested?

Wanted: WASAPI or ASIO input to fb2k

Reply #1
Me too I am interested in this kind of plug-in.

Anybody is on-track to do that?

Regards

Andrea