Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder (Read 465617 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder

Reply #50

BTW. Using 2-pass with VBR makes no sense smile.gif VBR will just use how many bits it needs.

Yeah i guess i was caught up in the moment and thinking video VBR. (2 pass VBR using xvid/divx etc) heheh

Those "video VBR" are really ABR modes. (Of course, ABR is a kind of VBR...)

edit...

Hmmm using single pass created an audio file of 132kbps while a 2pass was 127kbps. Both sound the same to me ... just curious ...

It should probably just give an error when you try that, because I really have no idea what happens in this case, and it's certainly untested, so I'd strongly recommend not to do it 

what is minimum bitrate for 5.1 encoding

66kbps

-q 0.12

If you try lower quality levels, you'll get an errror. Hmm, I think I'll change this so the lowest is really -q 0.0 too.

Reply #51
* Crystal Clear, Award Winning Sound Quality at every compression ratio and bit rate!
http://www.nero.com/nerodigital/eng/Nero_Digital_Audio.html

Hmm, what awards?

Can't download. Any mirrors?

And please, pretty please: could we have a "recommended settings"?

And maybe some more info on command line usage for foobar and EAC?
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #52
Can't download. Any mirrors?

The server is alive. Problem must be at your end.

And please, pretty please: could we have a "recommended settings"?

I would have no idea what would be supposed to go in such a thread.

And maybe some more info on command line usage for foobar and EAC?

What more info do you need?

Reply #53
You can use fractional values.

BTW. Using 2-pass with VBR makes no sense  VBR will just use how many bits it needs.

Hmmm using single pass created an audio file of 132kbps while a 2pass was 127kbps. Both sound the same to me ... just curious ...

I was experimenting with 2-pass vs single pass, and I noticed similar results. I had quality set to 0.6, and encoded Thursday's "A City by the Light Divided." Single pass came out around 74.4MB, with a bitrate ~224, whereas 2-pass came to 70.7MB with a bitrate of ~215. Interestingly enough, that's exactly the bitrate I was looking for. Almost every other album I've done w/2-pass averages ~215kbps.

Reply #54
i've have waited a long time for the aac encoder to be separated from Nero and now it finally happened, and best of all for FREE

thx to all that made this possible!
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #55

Nope. Never had any problems downloading from Nero servers (I usually get Nero updates on the first day). Could it be overcrowded?
That is why I asked for mirrors.

I would have no idea what would be supposed to go in such a thread.
(...)
What more info do you need?

Rough translation of q values to bitrates. Just having naming the presets won't do.

You know, like the lame V settings table.

And I feel-- and I'm sure I'm not the only one-- that

-ignorelength : Ignores length signaled by WAV headers of input file.
Useful for certain frontends using stdin.

is not clear enough.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #56
I'm assuming that the -q setting is to be used exactly like in oggenc, except the number is divided by 10?  That seems to be about the equivalent.

Though overall I am quite impressed (and happy to finally have access to this encoder), I do have one complaint.  The encoder gives no indication of progress.  Once you hit enter it just sits there for a seemingly random period of time while it's encoding.  Showing the percentage of completion would keep me from thinking that it isn't working. 

Reply #57
I'm assuming that the -q setting is to be used exactly like in oggenc, except the number is divided by 10?  That seems to be about the equivalent.

Though overall I am quite impressed (and happy to finally have access to this encoder), I do have one complaint.  The encoder gives no indication of progress.  Once you hit enter it just sits there for a seemingly random period of time while it's encoding.  Showing the percentage of completion would keep me from thinking that it isn't working. 

Maybe not really the answer you wanted, but this can be handled by the frontend (foobar2000 will show progress, for example).

Reply #58

Nope. Never had any problems downloading from Nero servers (I usually get Nero updates on the first day). Could it be overcrowded?
That is why I asked for mirrors.

No, as I already said, the server is alive.

Rough translation of q values to bitrates. Just having naming the presets won't do.

You know, like the lame V settings table.

And I feel-- and I'm sure I'm not the only one-- that

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44283

Reply #60
Great stuff lads.

Been needing a good quality gapless AAC CLI encoder for a while now.
Tested out a couple of files and they all seem to be encoding at roughly 8.5x (1.4g Celeron laptop).

Liking the quality aswell of ~100kbits aswell. I'll post some ABX logs in a minute but I'm finding it very hard to hear a difference...

Here's the ABX report:

Code: [Select]
foo_abx 1.3 report
foobar2000 v0.9.1
2006/05/04 19:46:49

File A: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Desktop\Alone Tonight.m4a
File B: F:\Music\Above & Beyond\Tri-State\09. Above & Beyond - Alone Tonight.flac

19:46:49 : Test started.
19:48:44 : 01/01  50.0%
19:49:05 : 01/02  75.0%
19:50:19 : 01/03  87.5%
19:51:27 : 02/04  68.8%
19:52:29 : 02/05  81.3%
19:53:31 : 03/06  65.6%
19:54:22 : 03/07  77.3%
19:54:56 : 03/08  85.5%
19:55:16 : 03/09  91.0%
19:55:58 : 04/10  82.8%
19:57:30 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 4/10 (82.8%)

Reply #61
Works wonderfully on my P4. Many thanks to the Nero MP4 devs for this and taking the time to be a part of this community.     

Reply #62
perhaps bittorrent sources will resolve the problem, also here, ftp6 doesn't respond
An interested Niph :D

Reply #63
Thanks to Ivan and the whole Nero team for this release and their support of the community.

My question is related to tags: right now it doesn't seem like any tag info is being transferred and I'm not sure if that's a problem with my setup or I'm using the wrong command line parameters.

I'm using foobar2k 0.8.3, with the Nero encoder just released today and the command line I've settled on for testing at this point is one posted earlier in this thread:

q 0.425 -if - -of %d

Saw the suggestion about the fractional amounts and that 0.425 being approximately 128Kbps or so, which is just fine with me for my iPod. The FLAC files that I'm using as source material are fully tagged and the files are named Artist - Album - Track - Title.flac, so again I'm not sure where the issue lies.

My guess it I'm just missing something in the parameters, or perhaps the tags aren't going to transfer. If anyone can offer a solution or advice on this I'd greatly appreciate it. I've got 100GB of FLAC files that would fit nicely onto my 30GB Video iPod as m4a files.

Have fun, always...
bb
The difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits.

Reply #64
AMD problem has been solved, but it will take until tomorrow for the new version to be uploaded.

Apologise for the inconvinience caused to our AMD users.

Reply #65
perhaps bittorrent sources will resolve the problem, also here, ftp6 doesn't respond

Edit: Illegal link removed.

Reply #66
My question is related to tags: right now it doesn't seem like any tag info is being transferred and I'm not sure if that's a problem with my setup or I'm using the wrong command line parameters.

I'm using foobar2k 0.8.3, with the Nero encoder just released today and the command line I've settled on for testing at this point is one posted earlier in this thread:

q 0.425 -if - -of %d

Saw the suggestion about the fractional amounts and that 0.425 being approximately 128Kbps or so, which is just fine with me for my iPod. The FLAC files that I'm using as source material are fully tagged and the files are named Artist - Album - Track - Title.flac, so again I'm not sure where the issue lies.

My guess it I'm just missing something in the parameters, or perhaps the tags aren't going to transfer. If anyone can offer a solution or advice on this I'd greatly appreciate it. I've got 100GB of FLAC files that would fit nicely onto my 30GB Video iPod as m4a files.

I'm using foobar 0.9.1's converter with FLACs and everything's tagging okay for me. My parameters differ slightly from yours, only due to the quality I've chosen (0.525)

I generally use Mp3tag to tag my FLACs. I doubt whatever you use (if any different) should cause the problem.

Reply #67
Thanks Nero Audio team. This is a realy nice surprise indeed. You guys are amazing.

Reply #68
Thanks to Ivan and the whole Nero team for this release and their support of the community.

q 0.425 -if - -of %d

Have fun, always...
bb

Can you try with foobar2000 0.9? I wouldn't know why 0.8.3 doesn't work, but I know for sure 0.9 will because it was tested

Reply #69
Actually, the bug was not AMD-related, but related to CPUs without SSE2 - so latest Intel and AMD chips were not affected by this bug.

Reply #70
Sorry.  I didn't know it was illegal.  I'll take the torrent down.

Reply #71
Is there a change log for Nero's AAC encoder? Just to see the different versions and what work was done/bugs fixed and that sort of thing? I tried searching HA, but couldn't find anything.

Reply #72
Still no luck downloading, though.

I couldn't download with my browser too (guess however I have a general ftp problem with my browser).
I had no problem downloading with a specific ftp file transfer tool (FTP-Commander).
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #73
Is there a change log for Nero's AAC encoder? Just to see the different versions and what work was done/bugs fixed and that sort of thing? I tried searching HA, but couldn't find anything.

Starting from the command-line version, we will maintain a changelog for every revision.

And, yes - expect regular revision and updates

Reply #74

We don't have any changelog (yet)[1], however, you can find some discussion in the Nero 7.2 thread. Several bugs which are discussed there are fixed in this encoder.

[1] It would generally look like:
1) Quality improved
2) Bugs fixed
3) Made it faster

going into more detail is tricky because it might reveal our secret sauce  But we'll see what we can do.