Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: error opening CUE file for playback (Read 17182 times) previous topic - next topic

error opening CUE file for playback

Reply #25
Please, calm down.

Well, you can expect that people who have these broken cuesheets on their harddrive also happen to have EAC...

I'm wondering why you fb2k guys take this matter so personal...

But the next foobar2000 release will have its own secure ripper, that will make EAC obsolete, right?

Reply #26
Unfortunately, these aren't my CD so I can't rerip them..
Daemon Tools doesn't support non-compliant CUEs. Neither does Alcohol 120% [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course, it does. Mounting most probably fails because the audio files are in a format not supported by Daemon Tools. PCM wave and APE works, FLAC does not, for instance.

What version do you use? The lasest stable was issued before this posting:
[a href="http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/viewtopic.php?p=19430&highlight=noncompliant#19430]DAEMON Tools Homepage :: View topic - Noncomplient Cue sheets and flac image support[/url]

Reply #27
I use the latest version and I have no problems with non-compliant cue sheets.

The response of the admin:
It is planned for the future (no ETA).

It leaves us no clue whether he means the FLAC support or the non-compliant CUE support, or both.

Anyway FLAC does not work on my side, but those non-compliant CUE sheets EAC produces do work (when used with audio files DT can understand).

Reply #28
Strange.. It returns an error parsing the CUE. Does it work for the CUE you posted here? Maybe you are mounting an "in-compliant" CUE that's actually compliant (no 00 indices)?

Reply #29
Unfortunately, if you are using multiple files and want to retain gaps, it is the best format.

Why?
Because you can keep the gaps at the end of the file where there aren't so much of an issue for siingle file playback.  Check the wiki.

The "best" format would be cuesheets that contain proper 1..n tracks : 1 file mapping and correct index markers.

On a tangent, I'd be curious to see which burning software handles Fandango's cuesheets the way he expects.
And I know Burrrn explicitly touts support for EAC's noncompliant cuesheets as well. But how about other burning software? CDRWIN (not that it's relevant any more)? Nero? etc etc.
Fair enough.  I only know of EAC and Burrrn.  I think EAC is possible justification on its own though when so many foobar users will use it.  That said, I know foobar has secure ripping now.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #30
I'm wondering why you fb2k guys take this matter so personal...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331606"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It goes against specs and common sense and thus the use of such noncompliant cuesheets should not be encouraged any further.
But the next foobar2000 release will have its own secure ripper, that will make EAC obsolete, right?

Right. As a matter of fact foobar2000 0.9 beta already has its own secure ripper.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #31
Strange.. It returns an error parsing the CUE. Does it work for the CUE you posted here? Maybe you are mounting an "in-compliant" CUE that's actually compliant (no 00 indices)?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331643"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm afraid you are right. It seems that it accepts "INDEX 00" markers, but it gets confused by multiple tracks per file.

So AFAIK there's no fast and easy solution for you. If you want to get rid off those broken cue+appended gap files, then re-rip using a CD-RW...  or wait until DT support cues with garbled tracks/files.

Or if you want to keep those albums (maybe because it's lossy or whatever), keep on searching, there might be a mp3 cutter or another tool that is able to (re)create cue sheets. But the original CD layout will probably be lost after that.

Reply #32
Because you can keep the gaps at the end of the file where there aren't so much of an issue for siingle file playback. Check the wiki.

Gaps at the beginning ain't an issue when using fb2k. It skips them.

Reply #33

Right. As a matter of fact foobar2000 0.9 beta already has its own secure ripper.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331649"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

May I ask how does it handle "Multiple Files With Gaps (Noncompliant) - A.K.A "Append Gaps to (end of) Previous Track (default)""?
Because you can keep the gaps at the end of the file where there aren't so much of an issue for siingle file playback. Check the wiki.

Gaps at the beginning ain't an issue when using fb2k. It skips them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331653"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have fun re-ripping to CD-RW.

Reply #34
Have fun re-ripping to CD-RW. wink.gif

Obviously I'm not going to rerip anything, it's the baddest idea. What I can do is recalculating the CUE sheets. The algorhithm is simple, yet tiresome. Hope someone wrote an app for correcting the bad CUEs.. 

Reply #35
The non-compliant cuesheet type may not comply with standards, but it exists for a logical reason. The way that gaps are indexed on a CD is a variable. EAC intelligently gives the user options of how to deal with this variable. Providing the solution to a real-world problem doesn't simply make EAC in-the-wrong (or "broken") for not blindly following standards. It's another feature that makes EAC the best audio ripping tool available.

Non-silent gaps can go two ways. They can be fittingly attached to either the beginning or the end of a track. When ripping a CD to individual tracks, EAC gives you the option of appending the gaps accordingly. If the choice is made that the gaps should be appended to the ends of tracks, then the non-compliant cuesheet format is the only appropriate type for the situation.

I mean no disrepect to the foobar2000 team. Conforming to cuesheet specifications / standards is their rightful choice, and I make no judgements in that regard. I'm not saying it's wrong to not offer compatibility with non-compliant cuesheets. But I don't think it's right or necessary to call EAC "broken", or tell people they used "the wrong settings", in order to support their decision...

Reply #36
Yet another problem with the following CUEsheet:
Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "Red Jerry (Various)"
TITLE "(CD1) Deep & Chilled Euphoria"
FILE "(CD1) Deep & Chilled Euphoria.ape" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
   TITLE "Maximum Reflexion (On A Mountain High)"
   PERFORMER "JFC"
[b]    PREGAP 00:02:00[/b]
   INDEX 01 00:00:00

Does fb2k support PREGAP fields or it's another non-compliant thing?

Reply #37
Have fun re-ripping to CD-RW. wink.gif

Obviously I'm not going to rerip anything, it's the baddest idea. What I can do is recalculating the CUE sheets. The algorhithm is simple, yet tiresome. Hope someone wrote an app for correcting the bad CUEs.. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331659"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Erm, but you will also have to edit the audio files, in case the gaps where appended... (which I was assuming all the time). Now don't tell me your audio files have gaps at the beginning but the cue files were made for appended gaps...

Actually I'm quite confused about what you really want.

Anyway I'm sure there's a tool out there, mp3cutter does this maybe? I'm not sure which one it was, tho. Try to ask in of the other sub-foums at HA. But it will most likely only handle single tracks+cue sheets that "fit" together.

I mean no disrepect to the foobar2000 team. Conforming to cuesheet specifications / standards is their rightful choice, and I make no judgements in that regard. I'm not saying it's wrong to not offer compatibility with non-compliant cuesheets. But I don't think it's right or necessary to call EAC "broken", or tell people they used "the wrong settings", in order to support their decision...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331668"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kudos to you! Honestly I find this negative behaviour towards EAC and their users weird. Convincing people to use the "right way" is ok, but forcing them by ignoring their problems is not.

The only help people with appended gap tracks got from the fb2k was: don't do it.

HA was always open to this method of ripping, there's even a good wiki entry about this. So this makes me wonder...

I started to help people to change their situation with post beta 6 versions, to find a convinient way to migrate their non-compliant rips to compliant ones, at least I try! Although I'm sure the mods and dev could do this much better than I would, but they don't care.

I didn't want to start bad blood here, but the reactions are kinda frosty and unfriendly.

First this issue was totally ignored, then I got a not very helpful reply from a dev that I was spamming with left me with no clue, except that he didn't like the way EAC can handle single tracks. Hey, we're not your enemy just because we use EAC instead of fb2k for ripping! But in case you didn't notice: this isn't about sticking to non-compliant-cue-sheets-and-tracks-with-appended-silence-ripping, it's about keeping those "old" rips working in the future, because we have no time or knowledge to re-rip or convert them! It was common sense at HA, that this way of ripping to single tracks is ok, when a one image rip was out of question.

Well, I'm confident there will be a plugin after the SDK goes public, that will proccess non-compliant cues and tracks with appended gaps. When the fb2k devs won't do it, 3rd party developers probably will.

Reply #38
Yet another problem with the following CUEsheet:
Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "Red Jerry (Various)"
TITLE "(CD1) Deep & Chilled Euphoria"
FILE "(CD1) Deep & Chilled Euphoria.ape" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
   TITLE "Maximum Reflexion (On A Mountain High)"
   PERFORMER "JFC"
[b]    PREGAP 00:02:00[/b]
   INDEX 01 00:00:00

Does fb2k support PREGAP fields or it's another non-compliant thing?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331673"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is fixed in beta10 (out "soon").
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #39
Thanks for all the replies.

Seems like I'll have to try the secure ripper of Foobar2000 version 0.9 - I'm curious how it will deal with gaps (I'm almost certain it will rip in the manner that EAC calls "append gaps to previous tracks") and whether it will offer to create a CUE sheet.

Maybe one last question to the Foobar2000 team:
Playback of Cue sheets currently emulates a "append gaps to previous tracks" rip. Will this always remain so, or are there plans to emulate "true" CD playback?

Reply #40
Seems like I'll have to try the secure ripper of Foobar2000 version 0.9 - I'm curious how it will deal with gaps (I'm almost certain it will rip in the manner that EAC calls "append gaps to previous tracks") and whether it will offer to create a CUE sheet.

foobar currently only deals with INDEX 01 entries, so I guess that means that gaps are appended to the end of the previous track.

Since foobar 0.9b6 foobar will let you rip to an image with cuesheet - but not single files with a cuesheet.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #41
Erm, but you will also have to edit the audio files, in case the gaps where appended... (which I was assuming all the time). Now don't tell me your audio files have gaps at the beginning but the cue files were made for appended gaps...

Actually I'm quite confused about what you really want.

Anyway I'm sure there's a tool out there, mp3cutter does this maybe? I'm not sure which one it was, tho. Try to ask in of the other sub-foums at HA. But it will most likely only handle single tracks+cue sheets that "fit" together.

The only proper solution currently I know is joining the tracks to an image and recalculating the CUE sheet (the link above). This way I won't lose anything from an original image except the very first gap if it was present. A simlple yet very tiresome solution. So I'm looking for an app that could make a proper CUE from inproper.

Reply #42
Maybe one last question to the Foobar2000 team:
Playback of Cue sheets currently emulates a "append gaps to previous tracks" rip. Will this always remain so, or are there plans to emulate "true" CD playback?

This might be a question for zZzZzZz:
to what extent do you plan to take advantage of the Cue indexes in future foobar2000 versions?

Why this question? Currently there is no advantage in playing back separate files through a noncompliant Cue sheet, over playing them directly. In other words these Cue sheets are redundant for playback untill the day that foobar2000 starts to take advantage of all indexes to further approach hardware CD player behaviour. If that's a possibility, I imagine that'd be reason enough for many people (incl. myself) to seriously reconsider Cue sheet alternatives.

So, what does the future look like, zZzZzZz? Thank you in advance.

Reply #43
On a tangent, I'd be curious to see which burning software handles Fandango's cuesheets the way he expects.

I know of three programs that handle EAC's non-compliant cuesheets:

EAC
Burrrn
Plextools Pro XL

Plextools XL actually supports these cuesheets and has the ability to write them when you rip with a cuesheet.