Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OGG doesn't like acoustic sound (Read 2789 times) previous topic - next topic

OGG doesn't like acoustic sound

Hi everybody

I've encoded and i'm still encoding all my cds in ogg format at quality 5 (nominal bitrate at 180 kbps) with GT3 beta 2 + QKT beta 3.2. The quality is excellent, transparent I would say with MY ears and MY audio material. 
So first of all, thanks to every "tuners" for your hard work.

The average bitrate is reasonable, often less than 180 kbps, between 165-175. But there is some exceptions, files bitrate extremely high and some other very low. 

Here is the ogg files where the bitrate is higher than 210 kbps
Marathon - Come home (291)
Marathon - The year of you (269)
Tonic - Waltz with me (223)
Howie Day - She says (222) - also the song Collide (207)
Marathon - Better things than I (216)
Ingram Hill - On my way (213)
Ingram Hill - Will I ever make it home (210)

When I look to the kind of sound, it's only acoustic stuff with a very distinctive sound of (acoustic) guitars. For the song Waltz with me, it's a little different, it's still acoustic but it's a more atmospheric sound. 

At the opposite, here is the lower bitrate files :
July for Kings - Anything but beautiful (144kbps) - very rock
The Gufs - Ashes (142) - only piano
Stage - Flag (144) - i don't think it's a good example, because the first part is very calm and the bitrate around 120-130 and then the second part is rocking, the bitrate is around 160
Seven and the Sun - I pray (142) - it's very strange because the sound is very similar to the Tonic's song 'Waltz with me'

The fact that the bitrate is higher when it's acoustic stuff is confirmed by Dizzy up the Girl album from Goo Goo Dolls, because the 2 highest bitrates are the songs acoustic #3 and iris and also by the Familiar 48 album with the 2 highest bitrates for the 2 most acoustic songs (189 and 190 kbps).

At this point I have reencoded more than 30 albums and there is only one song which met a problem. The titre "An angel screams from outer space" from Stage, at 1 min 33, with a "kind of drum attack", the ogg compression doesn't resist during one second. It's weird because when in higher nominal bitrate, there's still the same noise. 

OGG doesn't like acoustic sound

Reply #1
<pedantic mode>
That would be Ogg-Vorbis. Makes a difference as the container can also be used for Ogg-Flac and other things
</pedantic mode>
and welcome to forum! not trying to jump all over you first thing just making a small correction.