Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pink noise MP3 for burnin of speakers? (Read 4653 times) previous topic - next topic

Pink noise MP3 for burnin of speakers?

I play pink noise through new speakers as a way of breaking them in... wondering if a MP3 of pink noise would still accomplish the task.  Not that it's important, as playing a CD with track 4 on repeat is simple, more of a theoretical question really.

Reply #1
The boss of a speaker shop here says a low frequency sine is enough to break in woofers. And it doesn't make noise.

For the Mp3, it depends if the lowest frequencies are kept. They are the ones most moving the woofer.

Reply #2
It seems that breaking in of speakers is another of those audio myths based on nothing real. True experts say that there's some break in that lasts for about 30 seconds, and this break in happens always you use your speakers after some minutes of not using them.

I'd say that what really breaks in are listener's ears + brain.

More info at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=es&lr=&....com%26rnum%3D1

Reply #3
I'd say it depends on the individual speaker's materials.  I know the surrounds on my subs aren't anywhere near as stiff as they were when I first bought them.  The rubber has softened/loosened/whatever quite a bit.  It used to be pretty stiff.  Whether that's good or bad probably also depends on the individual speaker's design, etc.

Reply #4
to avoid excessive noise you may use a mono signal, connect your speakers reverse phase and position them face to face. So the signals will extinguish each other more or less, depending on how good both speakers match.
But be careful, don't turn up volume too high

Reply #5
mmm... and how do you know when they are properly "broken in"?

Reply #6
What you do when you 'burn in' monitors:
Play at a pretty low level, normal - not too high for the first week.
That should be enough for most.

Reply #7
I still believe it is not based on anything real or verifiable, the only thing may be that sometimes some material properties can change over very long periods of time, but I don't think that could be called "burn in" or "break in".

So, most times burn in of speakers is similar to burn in of cd players, solid state amps or cables... just listener burn-in.

Reply #8
Originally posted by Pio2001
The boss of a speaker shop here says a low frequency sine is enough to break in woofers. And it doesn't make noise.

Very low I think (<30 Hz),
I can confirm this, as happened to a my friend's speakers time ago...
"Taking a jazz approach and concentrating on live playing, I wanted to use several different rhythm sections and vintage instruments and amps to create a timeless sound that's geared more around musicality and vibe than sonic perfection. The key was to write with specific rhythm sections in mind, yet leave open spaces for soloing." Lee Ritenour

Reply #9
Originally posted by KikeG
I still believe it is not based on anything real or verifiable, the only thing may be that sometimes some material properties can change over very long periods of time, but I don't think that could be called "burn in" or "break in".

So, most times burn in of speakers is similar to burn in of cd players, solid state amps or cables... just listener burn-in.

True, mostly just bullshit.
There are few exceptions, such as with studiomonitors or electrostats (must 'brake in' the virgin pop )
but for the rest is just bull.

Reply #10
as I understood it, the spider and the surround materials relax a bit during the first few hours of use and the speaker sounds like it was meant to after that, and that's the reason for a break-in period.