Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Issues  (Read 2610 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Issues

I have about 500 CD's that I am going to rip for storing and streaming.

EAC sounded like a great app so I downloaded it on my Windows 7 Laptop, and gave it a try with a classical CD.

Followed the instructions, watched all the videos.  I have some issues.

First I was wanted to rip to .FLAC, but all tracks show .WAV.

I notice others with the same issue.  How do you get EAC to rip .FLAC files.

Checked all my setting and they look right.

The other issue is all the tracks are ripped as separate files, the Art is a separate file, the cue file is separate.

What I wanted was to have the CD produced with Art, tracks, much like downloads as a playable Unit.

Apple iTunes when you rip a CD it creates the CD on disk for playback.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I get another application.

Thanks

Re: EAC Issues

Reply #1
Followed the instructions, watched all the videos.
There's a lot of misinformation about how to setup EAC. Did you look at http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Category:EAC_Guides ?

First I was wanted to rip to .FLAC, but all tracks show .WAV. I notice others with the same issue.  How do you get EAC to rip .FLAC files.
  • You could be selecting the wrong extraction option
  • The Additional command-line options may be incorrect
  • Other compression options may be incorrect
  • Classical titles can be long which may cause the command-line to exceed the Windows path limit. Classical titles may also contain 'problem' characters. Either of these can cause the encoder to exit prematurely with an error.

The other issue is all the tracks are ripped as separate files, the Art is a separate file, the cue file is separate.
If you want to extract the CD as one big file, you're selecting the wrong extraction option.

What I wanted was to have the CD produced with Art, tracks, much like downloads as a playable Unit.
So I think you want a CDImage with embedded CUE and embedded cover, compressed to FLAC.

Try this
Review your compression settings, see http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC
For the Additional command line options box, delete any existing text then copy and paste the following string:
Code: [Select]
%hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% --tag-from-file=CUESHEET="%albumartist% - %albumtitle%.cue" -8 %source%
To extract: Action > Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet > Compressed

If you ticked 'Check for external programs return code' per the EAC and FLAC article, a window will pop up if the FLAC encoder encounters an error.
A CUE file will still be created but the CUE will also be embedded as a tag in the compressed Image file (if the encoder completes successfully).
A cover file (when cover art is available) will still be created but the cover will also be embedded in the FLAC Image file (if the encoder completes successfully).
korth

Reply #2
Thanks so much for your reply.  I am finding this process somewhat difficult.

"CDImage with embedded CUE and embedded cover, compressed to FLAC"

So it is still not clear to me how I create a CD like file rip that when selected will download and play on music servers.

What I have now is .wav files that play individually, no art, no data.

I recently downloaded a .FLAC file from a music service and when it plays it has the album cover with the album data.

How do I create the above type of file with all the album track, and all the album data that will play when selected.

Reply #3
So what I suggested after 'Try this' still produces WAV files?
korth

Reply #4
I agree that EAC is not the easiest thing to set up...    I've got it configured for MP3 so I can't tell you how to configure it for FLAC...

You might try CueRipper or another CD ripping application.  (EAC and CueRipper both support AccurateRip.  Others may not.)  

I believe iTunes and Windows Media Player can also rip to WAV.   You'll probably need a 3rd-party converter to compress to FLAC, and a separate tagging application.

What I have now is .wav files that play individually, no art, no data.
Metadata is not widely supported for WAV.   It is supported for all of the standard compressed formats (lossy & lossless).   

If the ripping application can't automatically find the artwork you may have to scan it yourself or find it on the Internet and add it with a 3rd-party tagging application (or your player software may be able to use it as a separate file, or embed it.)

But if you have a single album file, the information (at least the song titles) will have to come from a cue sheet.    

By default you'll get separate files for each song/track.   The artist/album/title/track No., etc., is embedded so iTunes (or other player software) can (optionally) play it as an album with all of the tracks in the correct order.    It's the same if you buy an MP3 album from Amazon...  You get individual tracks.  Then Tunes (and most other player software) makes a separate database from the embedded metadata.

If you want a single audio file, you'll need a cuesheet to identify the individual tracks and you'll need player software that supports cue sheets.    (The regular embedded metadata is the same for the whole file.)

Reply #5
You might consider using dBpoweramp.  (not free, but very good ripper and converter)
https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/store_combi.aspx?c=2

That or cuetools as already recommended. Both support AccurateRip and may be easier for you to setup.  Also, there is no need for you to create cue files and disk image. Ripping as separate tracks to FLAC is perfectly good way to go.

Reply #6
Thanks, to all for the input.  I am pretty technical, but this process is far more complex than I imagined.  On one of my older Macs all I had to do was rip it in iTunes.  The resulting files in the iTunes music folder streamed perfectly with the metadata.

I had envisioned this being easy to copy CD's to my NAS drive, not so.

I just wanted a simple .FLAC CD file suitable for archiving and streaming.

Reply #7
Thanks, to all for the input.  I am pretty technical, but this process is far more complex than I imagined.  On one of my older Macs all I had to do was rip it in iTunes.  The resulting files in the iTunes music folder streamed perfectly with the metadata.

I had envisioned this being easy to copy CD's to my NAS drive, not so.

I just wanted a simple .FLAC CD file suitable for archiving and streaming.

I know it doesn't seem that way at the moment, but it is quite easy.  I think you're getting a bit bogged down on issues that you're not interested in (images and cue files for examples).  You simply need to rip your CDs as FLAC files with metadata tags.  I switched from itunes many years ago and settled on dbPoweramp. I might have used Cuetools if it had existed back then.  I've ripped over 5,000 CDs to FLAC, separate tracks with artwork and metadata and once I got past a bit of learning curve, it was simple.  (I personally found EAC to be a bit confusing, thus ending up with dbpoweramp).

Reply #8
Thanks I am going give Cuetools a try with my Windows Laptop.

You are right I am bogged down.  I looked at my NAS drive with all the files, cue files really confused me.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Reply #9
I have downloaded all 3 versions of CUETools, and none of them will run on my Windows 7 64 bit PC.

Keep getting CueRipper 2.1.6 has stopped working.

Reply #10
I'm running cuetools on my Win 8.1 windows and Win 10 computers. Used to have in on Win7 machine too.   Not sure what problem you're having, but not normal issue.    Try the dbpoweramp download. you can get full function trial for free at the link I posted.  They have a helpful forum too.
https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/

Reply #11
So what is this all about.  I ripped CD to my desktop and got 2 .flac files.  However, when I select the destination as my network drive, I get .wav files.

Now I have 2 track files on the desktop, and a cue file.  How do I combine these for metadata shows when I play a track.

Thanks

Reply #12
I have about 500 CD's that I am going to rip for storing and streaming.

EAC sounded like a great app so I downloaded it on my Windows 7 Laptop, and gave it a try with a classical CD.

Followed the instructions, watched all the videos.  I have some issues.

First I was wanted to rip to .FLAC, but all tracks show .WAV.

I notice others with the same issue.  How do you get EAC to rip .FLAC files.

Checked all my setting and they look right.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I get another application.

Thanks

I have a CD collection of some 500 discs, myself, and I ripped them all to MP3s a few years back.

I've been into this since the late 1990's. I've never had EAC create MP3s or FLACs for me. I've always used separate programs, because there are times when things need to be edited (live albums, concept albums, or hidden tracks), and because doing so aligns with the way I work and think. When you are familiar with your software and work flow, it's not really any slower, and affords greater control over the results.

I have used the following programs for many, many years:

EAC to go from audio CD to WAV files
Audacity to manually edit WAV files when necessary
RazorLame to convert WAV files to MP3
FLAC Frontend to convert WAV files to FLAC
MP3Tag to tag MP3 and FLAC files for computer and portable media player playback
foobar2000 to play audio files on my Windows machine

To burn my own mix CDs, I use one of these:
feurio!
Burrrn
CDBurnerXP

feurio! remains the best audio CD burning software I've ever seen, though though could be something better today. It allows you to make custom cross fades—I've never seen anything else do that. It may only work on Windows XP. It uses MP3s as its working file format, something I've never understood. Burrrn is dead simple. CDBurnerXP is also hand for archiving data to optical media (despite the name, it runs on newer versions of Windows).

Good luck.