Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DAC/Amp Matching for Speakers + Headphones (Read 2660 times) previous topic - next topic

DAC/Amp Matching for Speakers + Headphones

Hello everyone,
I’m currently using JBL LSR305 and Beyer dt880 as my main listening gear, and I recently bought the Sennheiser HD 6xx (still waiting for shipping). I’m running them through ~5 yr old Komplete Audio 6, which I use almost exclusively for listening with only rare occasions of recording. I feel like it is my weakest link, and was thinking of upgrading it.

Are there any recommendations for a good combo to match both the 305s, the 880s and also the upcoming 6xx? Speaker pairing is more important than the cans, as I listen to them the most.
Is there any point in buying one of the O2-SDAC or Magni-Modi (+Sys?) stacks, or would it be a lateral move and in that case pointless?
Please note that listening to many of the recommended stuff is usually impossible for me, because not many products have a local dealer in Israel, which makes it much harder to audition before buying.

I’d like to be an “honest” music lover and not a hardcore audiophile- this is why I came here opposed to many other forums. This means I’d be happy to upgrade my gear if the result would be ABX distinguishable, but I don’t want to buy stuff just for the heck of it, and I don’t think there is much point in investing more than a few hundred bucks on Amp/DAC, which might be better spent on upgrading the speakers for example.
I listen to various genres: indie/alternative rock, jazz, funk, some electronic etc.

On a different matter, currently my speakers sit with stock rubber feet on a slightly wobbly desk. Would I benefit by placing them on stands aside from bringing the tweeters to ear level?
Thanks!

Re: DAC/Amp Matching for Speakers + Headphones

Reply #1
Hello everyone,
I’m currently using JBL LSR305 and Beyer dt880 as my main listening gear, and I recently bought the Sennheiser HD 6xx (still waiting for shipping). I’m running them through ~5 yr old Komplete Audio 6, which I use almost exclusively for listening with only rare occasions of recording. I feel like it is my weakest link, and was thinking of upgrading it.

Are there any recommendations for a good combo to match both the 305s, the 880s and also the upcoming 6xx? Speaker pairing is more important than the cans, as I listen to them the most.
Is there any point in buying one of the O2-SDAC or Magni-Modi (+Sys?) stacks, or would it be a lateral move and in that case pointless?
Please note that listening to many of the recommended stuff is usually impossible for me, because not many products have a local dealer in Israel, which makes it much harder to audition before buying.

I’d like to be an “honest” music lover and not a hardcore audiophile- this is why I came here opposed to many other forums. This means I’d be happy to upgrade my gear if the result would be ABX distinguishable, but I don’t want to buy stuff just for the heck of it, and I don’t think there is much point in investing more than a few hundred bucks on Amp/DAC, which might be better spent on upgrading the speakers for example.
I listen to various genres: indie/alternative rock, jazz, funk, some electronic etc.

On a different matter, currently, my speakers sit with stock rubber feet on a slightly wobbly desk. Would I benefit by placing them on stands aside from bringing the tweeters to ear level?
Thanks!

Being powered speakers, LSR305s don't have much for headphones.

If I had a line level output that I wanted to hook up to headphones, the first thing I'd try is another Topping NS1 powered by its own USB power supply.

I'd put a parametric eq in line with it because everybody hears headphones with significantly different FR and you need to back that out for maximum accuracy.

Speaker stands and absorbing pads can only hurt things and generally, they are little but placeboes. 

OTOH the flat surfaces in the vicinity of speakers whether floors, ceilings, walls or desktops can be very significant. Another good reason for another set of parametric eq for the speakers.

Reply #2
If you want to upgrade, I'd recommend a subwoofer.   (That's assuming your not in an apartment or somewhere that you don't want a lot of bass.)

On a different matter, currently my speakers sit with stock rubber feet on a slightly wobbly desk. Would I benefit by placing them on stands aside from bringing the tweeters to ear level?
Re-positioning your speakers can make a difference and you can try some temporary/makeshift stands or whatever to experiment.    Simply aiming/pointing the tweeters at your ears should help and it may not be necessary to put them at ear-level unless it bothers you hearing the sound coming from too-high or too low,

The wobbling probably isn't a problem unless something is vibrating/resonating with the bass or otherwise making a noise that's bothering you.

Reply #3
EDIT: @Arnold B. Krueger

Hmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Are you suggesting a comparison with the KA6? Assuming you meant NX1, I have a Cowon D2+ that I use as a DAP and I sometimes compare the two. Can't tell the difference, blind or not.
Also, what do you mean by LSR305s don't have much for headphones. The KA6 has headphone outs plus balanced outs for monitors, and I was looking for something that can again serve both speakers and headphones to replace it if indeed there is something to gain from that.
BTW, connecting the speakers to the headphone out of the KA6 via TRS -> 2x TS (came with the speakers) introduced a lot of hiss that was gone when I went balanced, so using usb powered devices without balanced outs might be bad for the speakers.

I apologize if I failed to address what you wrote, but I didn't quite undestand your reply. Thanks again.

Reply #4
If you want to upgrade, I'd recommend a subwoofer.   (That's assuming your not in an apartment or somewhere that you don't want a lot of bass.)

I do live in an apartment and a sub is indeed a bit too much for me :)

Reply #5

I do live in an apartment and a sub is indeed a bit too much for me :)

I ran an SVS SB-12NSD in an apartment for years. It depends a lot on the building construction and your neighbors, but you might be able to get away with it as long as you EQ out the room resonances.

Reply #6
I use two 12" subs in my ~17m² living room. As long as you don't overdo it, there really isn't an issue. Don't go for *BOOM*. Go for just enough to add a nice solid bottom to the sound.