Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of AAC related patents (Read 7132 times) previous topic - next topic

List of AAC related patents

Hello. I found a copy of AAC patent licensing agreement and created a list of patents which are related to AAC from it. The license mentions that these patents are related to AAC-LC, HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2, AAC-LD, AAC-LD v2, Error resilient AAC Scalable, Error resilient AAC-ELD, and xHE-AAC.

Hopefully this can help estimate the time when all the AAC profiles become patent free.

Re: List of AAC related patents

Reply #1
I updated all the estimated expiration dates of US patents. Those dates are all from the search results of Google Patents.

Reply #2
I should also note that this list is made from the licensing agreement from June 2018. Other companies joining the patent pool since then makes the list above incomplete. It would probably still be useful for estimating the expiration dates of patents for old AAC profiles like HE-AAC (v2) and AAC-LC.

Reply #3
Patents related to what? Encoding, decoding or what? What is goal for this study?

Patents for decoding MP3 and LC-AAC have been already expired.  

Reply #4
Patents related to what? Encoding, decoding or what? What is goal for this study?

The goal (more like a dream at this point) is to find out the time when each AAC profile (HE-AAC, HE-AAC v2, etc.) becomes completely patent free. Patents for encoding and decoding would naturally be included. At least from my search, there was no news articles about it. There were some articles about MPEG-2 Video and MPEG-4 Visual (Not AVC), but nothing about AAC.

So I made the list as a starting point. Unfortunately, scanning through hundreds of patents and accurately connecting them to each profile while calculating the expiration dates isn't something I can do with ease. That's the reason why I uploaded the list. Maybe someone else who has both the technical and legal knowledge and potential interest about patent free codecs can use it as a base for further investigation.

And, yes. I'm aware that MP3 became patent free four years ago. I wrote "MP3(?)" at that list on purpose in order to conjure up any kind of response. People love to correct others on the Internet, you know. :) I wonder if that patent is related to SBR. I don't know enough about the specifics of the HE-AAC decoding process to assess that.

By the way, are you sure MPEG-4 AAC LC is patent free? I know that Fedora included the LC part of the FDK codec, but I don't know exactly how much of that codec is actually included in it. (Only the MPEG-2 part? Or the entire MPEG-4 part?)

Reply #5

By the way, are you sure MPEG-4 AAC LC is patent free? I know that Fedora included the LC part of the FDK codec, but I don't know exactly how much of that codec is actually included in it. (Only the MPEG-2 part? Or the entire MPEG-4 part?)

This is what fdkaac will encode on my Debian machine. 
 2: MPEG-4 AAC LC (default)
5: MPEG-4 HE-AAC (SBR)
29: MPEG-4 HE-AAC v2 (SBR+PS)
23: MPEG-4 AAC LD
39: MPEG-4 AAC ELD

Reply #6

This is what fdkaac will encode on my Debian machine. 
 2: MPEG-4 AAC LC (default)
5: MPEG-4 HE-AAC (SBR)
29: MPEG-4 HE-AAC v2 (SBR+PS)
23: MPEG-4 AAC LD
39: MPEG-4 AAC ELD
I was talking about fdk-aac-free. In that version, all the other profiles except AAC LC is stripped from the FDK encoder in order to prevent patent disputes. I checked its source code and found PNS in it. That would mean that Redhat considers MPEG-4 AAC LC to be patent free, which is good news.

Reply #7
Hi, this work on this (partial?) list of patents is cited as a source for the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#Licensing_and_patents

> Based on the list of patents from the SEC terms, the last baseline AAC patent expires in 2028, and the last patent for all AAC extensions mentioned expires in 2031.[56]

Not sure what they meant by baseline. Looking at the table it seems to be HE-AAC (v1), is that correct to call that baseline? Until looking at the spreadsheet, I though it was Main Audio Profile.

Regardless, as OLPP said, the mapping from patent to profile is not complete. So any estimation based the the partial mapping is totally wrong, right?

---

About the list being partial, is it though? Other companies joined the pool in 2018, but that doesn't make the initial list incomplete. Or maybe it was already and the agreement Siyata Mobile got isn't actually enough? And at the time they would have had to go get a license elsewhere for remaining patents?

Reply #8
Hi, in the attached file I also added expiration dates of European patents (EP), according to Google Patents.
Also, the expiration date is now colorized:
  • green - expired
  • yellow - expiring before one year
  • red - expiring after one year
Enjoy!  :)

Reply #9
Hi, this work on this (partial?) list of patents is cited as a source for the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#Licensing_and_patents

> Based on the list of patents from the SEC terms, the last baseline AAC patent expires in 2028, and the last patent for all AAC extensions mentioned expires in 2031.[56]

Not sure what they meant by baseline. Looking at the table it seems to be HE-AAC (v1), is that correct to call that baseline? Until looking at the spreadsheet, I though it was Main Audio Profile.

This page https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001649009/000121390020023370/ea125930ex10-9_siyatamobile.htm listed in the first post says:

The patent license granted herein may only be used for the practice of the following Audio Object Types (AOTs) and/or Profiles as defined in the AAC Standard:
  • MPEG-4 AAC Profile, including MPEG-2 AAC LC
  • MPEG-4 High Efficiency AAC Profile, including MPEG-2 AAC LC in combination with SBR
  • MPEG-4 High Efficiency AAC v2 Profile
  • MPEG-4 Low Delay AAC Profile
  • MPEG-4 Low Delay AAC v2 Profile
  • MPEG 4 Error Resilient AAC Scalable (AOT 20)
  • MPEG-4 Error Resilient AAC Enhanced Low Delay (AOT 39)
  • MPEG-D Extended HE-AAC Profile

So, I suppose Baseline should be MPEG-4 AAC Profile, including MPEG-2 AAC LC.

However, it is known that AAC LC patents should be already expired.