Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tremor issues. (Read 41000 times) previous topic - next topic

Tremor issues.

Reply #25
I'm hacking the original firmware, selfishly without anyone else, only to solve a few issues I have with a gadget I bought. I know those three forums only indirectly from occasional Googling.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Tremor issues.

Reply #26
i know this is a relatively old post, but i came across it myself when looking for info about this problem, so thought it would be a good place to put an update...

i just wanted to share some new info with anyone who already owns, or is thinking about getting an iaudio 7 - there is a new firmware release - 1.18 (go here: http://www.cowonglobal.com/ to get it) - which fixes this particular problem (the vorbis distortion).

it was a significant problem for me (as my music collection is predominantly in ogg-vorbis format), but i didnt find out until after i had purchased the player. to be honest, i couldn't find another player which ticked all the boxes for me that the i7 does, so i was pretty peeved, and loathe to start the hunt for an alternative, so i emailed cowon support (as many other people have probably done too) and got a few replies, the last one being a few days ago, saying they were releasing a fix 

i have now downloaded it and tested it, and can confirm that it has resolved the distortion-caused-by-low-frequency problem. may i say... "woohoo!"

(any eagle-eyes out there may spot that i pasted the exact same message in a couple of other places... didn't think it was worth re-typing it in different words, but did think it was info worthy of mass dissemination...  )

Tremor issues.

Reply #27
That's great news, thank you very much! It's nice to see continuing support for an older product like this.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Tremor issues.

Reply #28
ogg support isnt really that hard to find, sansa clip/fuze/view support it, samsungs players all support ogg from my experiance, iaudio and cowan have ogg support.

what I would like to see is more musepack support, gonna get on sansa about it now that i got a fuze

Tremor issues.

Reply #29
Hopefully MPC will be available on the Fuze soon via rockbox.

That said, Tremor could still use some work.  Most firmwares have very slow ogg decoding leading to decreased battery life.  A faster IMDCT in Tremor would go a long way towards fixing that.  Unfortunately most people are hesitant to release code like that under suitable license.

Tremor issues.

Reply #30
Hopefully MPC will be available on the Fuze soon via rockbox.

That said, Tremor could still use some work.  Most firmwares have very slow ogg decoding leading to decreased battery life.  A faster IMDCT in Tremor would go a long way towards fixing that.  Unfortunately most people are hesitant to release code like that under suitable license.

only issue i have had with rockbox is on some units it lessens batt life quite drastically, so much so that the bennifit isnt worth the cost for people like me who use their units for long periods(got fuze in part because its got great batt life)

we will see, I wont rockbox my fuze till its debuged and there are reports on its effect on batt life :/

Tremor issues.

Reply #32
Wow, I figured they would never fix that! Time to convert everything to Vorbis at -q3.

Tremor issues.

Reply #33
only issue i have had with rockbox is on some units it lessens batt life quite drastically,

This isn't true.

try the older 80gb ipod, with parametric EQ enabled it droped bat life by 1/3 for alot of people.........thats a pretty big hit if you ask me......other players have gotten simlar effects from being boxed, others havent lost anything....i would rather just wait and see

Tremor issues.

Reply #34
only issue i have had with rockbox is on some units it lessens batt life quite drastically,

This isn't true.

try the older 80gb ipod,

Battery life is the same or perhaps little better then the Apple firmware.

other players have gotten simlar effects from being boxed, others havent lost anything....i would rather just wait and see

Why wait?  You could see right now.

Tremor issues.

Reply #35

This isn't true.

try the older 80gb ipod, with parametric EQ enabled it droped bat life by 1/3 for alot of people.........thats a pretty big hit if you ask me......other players have gotten simlar effects from being boxed, others havent lost anything....i would rather just wait and see

Rockbox beats the iPod retail firmware when comparing like to like.  Hasn't always, historically, but does now.  Period.

Beats every other device's original firmware runtime as well.
There are runtime wikipages of user submitted battery benchmarks (a Rockbox TSR logger) documenting this for every target.

Burn tons of CPU using 5 bands of a much more complex EQ than Apple offers and don't be shocked it comes at a cost.

EDIT:  Mike beat me.
Battery life is the same or perhaps little better then the Apple firmware.

On the 5G with MP3 it should be a clear victory for Rockbox.  I've been getting over 19 hour real-world runtimes (starting/stopping, backlight, replaygain, crossfeed, etc) on my 5G, haven't benched the OF for well over a year, but was only getting 20.75 hours then when doing the synthetic (no backlight, yadda yadda yadda).
The LCD controller shutdown really pushed Rockbox over the edge on the always problematic 5th gens.
Creature of habit.

Tremor issues.

Reply #36
Hi all,
I'm searching for a new algorithm for mdct_backward function of Tremor lowmem and I found that Johannes Sandvall, Erik Montnemery implemented it before (http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/tremor/2003-November/000905.html).
The lowmem tremor with a new mdct backward function was available. I goto the link: http://www.sandvall.nu/patch but this link was dead  .

Could someone please send me this patch?

Thanks in advance 

Just in case someone might still be interested, I think itùs this one
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/sandvall-tremor.patch