Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping DTS CD and SACD ISO (Read 8585 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping DTS CD and SACD ISO

I am having quite the trouble ripping DTS out of a giant wav file that also has a cue file.  These were created from a DTS CD, not a DVD.  The reason I want to, is mainly due to ease of playback through MPC.  I currently drop vob files and wav files into MKVMerge and mux to a .mpa file, which i am able to play back through MPC which in turn passes through in DTS surround to my receiver. 

I am unable to pass through any other player, especially VLC, which doesn't produce sound at all, any my Sony receiver shows UNLOCK.  video files have no problem passing through DTS/AC3 in vlc.

foobar shows the tracks when i drop in the wav file, and even shows that it's DTS/44.1/6channel on the status bar, yet i am unable to output anything more than 2 channels .  i've installed the DTS Decoder component (if i dont, i get static), super Audio CD Decoder, WASAPI output, SPDIFER, and even ASIO output (i cant figure out how it works).

I have tried mounting the cue file, and using dbpoweramp to rip tracks out to their own separate wav tracks.  the problem is that even though i specified dbpoweramp to keep all sources as original, i still get a 2 channel wav out of it.  i tried everything, wav2dts, dtsparser, the built in converter to wav in VLC, and philips protech with no luck.

Is the wav and cue file just meant to be burnt to a cd only?  i dont mind leaving it as that if i could use it with foobar, but i just cant seem to get it to passthrough DTS. 

I also have an SACD iso that shows nothing when mounted, but when dropped in foobar, it shows tracks.  Again, it wont output anything but 2 channels in foobar.  I tried to save those individual tracks as multichannel wav files, but i am not sure if they are DTS or AC3. in any case, they play back as PCM only.  how would anyone be able to play them in DTS?

I am using onboard audio via Realtek ALC889 coax digital out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
foobar2000 cannot output more than two channels to S/PDIF, unless you have some system drivers which encode the audio to AC3 or DTS again. Or unless you manage to configure a WASAPI/ASIO setup that outputs the undecoded DTS or DSD directly to your receiver. And you won't be able to do that if you use the DTS decoder component, or if you don't configure the SACD decoder component to output DSD directly over ASIO.

Reply #2
Is the wav and cue file just meant to be burnt to a cd only?
I think so...  That DTS/WAV format is an oddball format that somehow "tricks" the DTS decoder into working.  If I understand correctly... and I could be totally wrong...  the DVD player "thinks" it's playing a WAV file, but the receiver detects the DTS header "hidden" in the fake WAV/PCM data, and is able to decode it.  DVDs never have 44.1kHz audio, but I guess it works with most receivers.  I would have thought the same "trick" would work with foobar (or any other player) as long as you are using S/PDIF to your receiver.  But maybe foobar is't fooled into thinking this is a regular WAV file...

I don't know if this will help, but I found How To Play WAV-DTS files.

Reply #3
foobar2000 cannot output more than two channels to S/PDIF, unless you have some system drivers which encode the audio to AC3 or DTS again. Or unless you manage to configure a WASAPI/ASIO setup that outputs the undecoded DTS or DSD directly to your receiver. And you won't be able to do that if you use the DTS decoder component, or if you don't configure the SACD decoder component to output DSD directly over ASIO.

i will try to configure a WASAPI/ASIO setup.  i have been unsuccessful with the WASAPI only.

Reply #4
Just wanted to update this thread as I figured out a way to un-easily take an image with a cue file and convert to a playable .mka file in media player classic that outputs to my receiver.

1- Rip the cd and keep the 5.1 channels with dbpoweramp with all settings set to same as source
2- Use a program called Tranzcode to separate each wav track into 6 mono wav files.
3- Use SurCode CD and DVD Pro DTS Encoder to piece together each channel and hit Encode to create a wav file.  My version was old, so i had to install it on an windows xp virtual machine for it to work as it wouldnt run on windows 7 x64.
4- Use mkvMerge to easily demux the DTS out of the wav file
5- Play back the .mka file in MPC and enjoy 5.1 DTS surround from your receiver!

SACD is the other crazy that I will tackle later on. Phew!