Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dont\' undertsand al these switches -please help! (Read 3474 times) previous topic - next topic

dont\' undertsand al these switches -please help!

I'm quite new to the more advanced options and have some q's

1. --ns-bass: a positive value allocates bits to the high area and a negative does the opposite, am i right ?
so what do positive/negative values in --ns-treble do ?

2. in LAME when a switch can be given a "n" value, does "n" mean you can always only specify a whole number like 4, Or can i use decimal values as well, like ie.
"--athlower 0.5" ?

3. what is gpsycho ? the psycho acoustic model ?
if yes, what is a psych ac. model ? a piece of software modeling how human ears behave/hear ? or was that the ath ? confused..
whats the diference between the ath and the psych model ?

4.  what is scalefac scale ? what did lame do when encspot displays "scalefac scale 6%" under details ?

5. h is same as -q2, -q1 was supposed to be same as -Z and -Z was bad according to r3mix.net a while ago. is this true or has -q1 nothing to do with -Z ?
If i specify "--abr -q1 --nspsytune (and the rest)"  and nspsytune swithes -Z on by default. Does nspsytune by swithing -Z on actually turn -Z (or -q1) off in this case ?

6. if i use lowpass like --lowpass 21 and i covert the encoded mp3 back to wav with lame and then have a look at the decoed file with cooledit (analyze)
i often see lame did cut more than above 21 KHz. in comparison to the original source wav.
The higher freq content above about 16/17KHz is present but not as loud and as much as in the original source wav. why ?
will lame still cut in the audio if it feels some audio content isn't needed despite what you specify ?

7. i'm not english and have no english dictionary.
what are the abreviations "ie." and "eta." stand for ?
"in example" and "estimated time acuired" ? 

8. what is "sfb21" ?

thanks for trying to answer my questions
why does \'saving settings\' take about 3 minutes and my modem is working while shutting down my windows2000 ?

Reply #1
ie is "idem est". It's latin, and I'm unable to translate it to english.

Reply #2
actually...

i.e. [abbrev.] = id est [latin] = THAT IS [english]

[for all you non-english speakers that means an elaboration upon an existing idea.]

e.g. [abbrev.] = exempli gratia [latin] = FOR EXAMPLE [english]

[...self explanatory]

etc. [abbrev.] = et cetera [latin] = AND SO ON; AND SO FORTH [english]

[used to indicate more, monotonous list-entries]

but don't ask me to translate from english!  i would be completely lost if it isn't french/spanish/greek...

hope it helped
mike

Reply #3
Originally posted by morelli

1. --ns-bass: a positive value allocates bits to the high area and a negative does the opposite, am i right ?
so what do positive/negative values in --ns-treble do ?

A negative value tells the encoder to encode the lower bands with more accuracy.  A postive value tells it to encode with less accuracy.

2. in LAME when a switch can be given a "n" value, does "n" mean you can always only specify a whole number like 4, Or can i use decimal values as well, like ie. 
"--athlower 0.5" ?

Depends on the switch.  The majority do accept floats though.

3. what is gpsycho ? the psycho acoustic model ?
if yes, what is a psych ac. model ? a piece of software modeling how human ears behave/hear ? or was that the ath ? confused..
whats the diference between the ath and the psych model ?

Yes.

A psychoacoustic model is what the encoder uses to determine what is audible and what isn't, and to which degrees this is so.  This is useful for determining where to adaptively degrade quality in a manner that is either transparent or least offensive.  Kind of the whole idea behind a psychoacoustic audio codec.

The ATH is just a curve which is used to determine at which point certain sounds at certain frequencies become inaudible to the listener.  A psymodel takes this into account, but it also takes into account other factors which are not only related to volume.. such as temporal masking, etc.

4.  what is scalefac scale ? what did lame do when encspot displays "scalefac scale 6%" under details ?

In LAME, a higher scalefac_scale value means that the scalefac_scale function (also part of noise shaping 2) was used more often.

5. h is same as -q2, -q1 was supposed to be same as -Z and -Z was bad according to r3mix.net a while ago. is this true or has -q1 nothing to do with -Z ?
If i specify "--abr -q1 --nspsytune (and the rest)"  and nspsytune swithes -Z on by default. Does nspsytune by swithing -Z on actually turn -Z (or -q1) off in this case ?

-q1 does NOT do the same thing as -Z.  Dunno where you read that, but that's wrong.  Btw, forget what you've read at r3mix.net.  A bunch of the information Roel has on his front page (especially about -Z and the -X modes) is incorrect.

-Z is never switched on or off, it's only a toggle which controls noise_shaping 2.  By default with gpsycho, noise shaping 2 is not used, so -Z turns it on there.  It's the opposite in nspsytune (Which uses type 2 by default) so specifying it there turns it off.  With --alt-preset standard (what you should be using if you are looking for highest quality) the noise shaping modes are determined automatically on the fly, and you don't have to worry about switching it either way.

6. if i use lowpass like --lowpass 21 and i covert the encoded mp3 back to wav with lame and then have a look at the decoed file with cooledit (analyze) i often see lame did cut more than above 21 KHz. in comparison to the original source wav. The higher freq content above about 16/17KHz is present but not as loud and as much as in the original source wav. why ? will lame still cut in the audio if it feels some audio content isn't needed despite what you specify ?

MP3 has a limitation in that it cannot encode frequencies over 16khz efficiently.  Due to this, sometimes no matter how high the bitrate is, it will not be able to encode content all the way up to 22khz.  Also, in other cases it won't do this simply because the psymodel determines this is unnecessary (it's usually right).

8. what is "sfb21" ?

This is the band in long blocks containing frequencies 16khz and up.

Reply #4
Originally posted by Dibrom

A negative value tells the encoder to encode the lower bands with more accuracy.  A postive value tells it to encode with less accuracy.

so what about "--ns-treble" then ? does a negative value encode treble more accurate,
and a postive value encodes treble less accurate ?

(off topic: a bit illogical imho.)

do you know if "--athlower" wil accepts floats ?

finaly: have you checked the pro version of EncSpot yet ?
and is it any good ? i mean, a while ago, it was said you could make produce
cool vbr graphs for each mp3 with encspot. i wonder if anyone knows how well
it works, if it's any good.
i didnt buy the pro, cause even the basic version 'hang' on my pc.
i can only watch "1" mp3 in detail, after that, it hangs and i have to shut the encspot.

(cry)
why does \'saving settings\' take about 3 minutes and my modem is working while shutting down my windows2000 ?

Reply #5
Originally posted by morelli

so what about "--ns-treble" then ? does a negative value encode treble more accurate, 
and a postive value encodes treble less accurate ?

It works the same as ns-bass.

(off topic: a bit illogical imho.)

do you know if "--athlower" wil accepts floats ?

Yes, athlower accepts floats.

finaly: have you checked the pro version of EncSpot yet ?

No.

and is it any good ? i mean, a while ago, it was said you could make produce 
cool vbr graphs for each mp3 with encspot. i wonder if anyone knows how well 
it works, if it's any good.
i didnt buy the pro, cause even the basic version 'hang' on my pc.
i can only watch "1" mp3 in detail, after that, it hangs and i have to shut the encspot.

(cry)

Last I heard about EncSpot, some of the graphing stuff didn't work properly (inaccurate), such as the blocktype stuff.  I don't really use EncSpot these days though.. it may have improved with the very latest version, but in the past it has been fairly unreliable for getting the correct information from an mp3.

Because of this, and because of the fact that I rarely use mp3 anymore, there's not much of a reason for me to pay for the pro version.