Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar wants audio files to have his own icons! (Read 4823 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar wants audio files to have his own icons!

Hi,
I'm a loyal Foobar user. I was using Windows 8.1 and I could easily change the default icons related to the common audio files, like mp3, wav, wma, m4a and flac. Then I had a problem with the OS and had to downgrade to Windows 7. Both in Windows 8 and 7 I use a decent utility named filetypesman to change the default icons for certain filetypes. I, for instance, like to have these icons...

...for music files, and I know which color is for each format.

So I make the changes for that five or six music format filetypes, then apply, then I see the new simple icons.

But when I run foobar to play some music, it's like Foobar is reinstalled in that very moment: it resets the icons back to this set:

It's good to note that Foobar is my default player for every audio format.

How can I prevent Foobar from reverting my icons from the first set to the default?

p.s. I'm using version 1.2.9, with this list of components, I don't recall if some of them are custom:
Code: [Select]
foo_albumlist.dll
foo_cdda.dll
foo_converter.dll
foo_dsp_eq.dll
foo_dsp_std.dll
foo_fileops.dll
foo_freedb2.dll
foo_input_std.dll
foo_rgscan.dll
foo_ui_std.dll
foo_unpack.dll

Thanks!

Reply #1
browse the foobar install directory\icons. in there you can replace the original icons with your own. obviously the file names must match. remember to keep backups as doing a foobar update will over write them.

Reply #2
Thanks Marc, I did the replacements, and it appears to have worked, if I see the files through Windows Explorer. On the desktop, on the other hand, the icons are still the default.

However, this is still an inconveniente behaviour... I thought the icons were supposed to be managed by the OS and the user manually, and not be unwantedly overwritten... isn't that preventable?

Thanks anyway!

Reply #3
I think if you go to preferences -> shell integration and untick "register supported file formats on startup" it will stop reverting the icons to default.
As for default entries on the desktop, sometimes icons need time to refresh, windows icon cache has never been particularly reliable in my experience

Reply #4
Thanks ChronoSphere!  I think it worked! I wasn't aware of that preference option.