Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't open MP4 files after tagging with foobar 0.7 (Read 2507 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't open MP4 files after tagging with foobar 0.7

I'm trying out using Nero 6.0.0.15 to encode some MP4 files and then tagging them using foobar.  I was doing this for disc 2 of the Forest Gump soundtrack (disc 1 work fine), the files played fine before tagging, then after tagging 12 out of the 16 tracks wouldn't open in foobar.  Foobar now come up with the error message:
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\Music\MP4\Forrest Gump (Disc 2)\(01) Volunteers (Jefferson Airplane) - Various.mp4" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\Music\MP4\Forrest Gump (Disc 2)\(01) Volunteers (Jefferson Airplane) - Various.mp4" (0)

I tried opening the same files with Nero and was unable too, yet I'm still able to able to open and listen to the files in Quicktime 6.3.  At first I thought this was a one off fluke and so deleted the MP4 files, re-ripped, re-encoded and re-tagged the files but exactly the same thing happened again.

I suspect there may be a bug in the way foobar writes the MP4 tags, which would expain why Quicktime is still able to read the files as it doesn't read the tags.