Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: v1.3.19 gets stuck after using RDP (Read 2704 times) previous topic - next topic

v1.3.19 gets stuck after using RDP

How to reproduce:
1. Connect to a PC using RDP (Remote Desktop).
2. Start playing in the foobar2000.
3. Press pause.
4. Disconnect from the PC.
5. Log in on this machine physically.
6. Press play.
But it doesn't play, current position of playback isn't changing, it seems that it can't stream decoded sound into output. You can press pause/play/pause/play any amount of times, and it doesn't play anything until you press stop button. After pressing "stop" and "play" it starts to work normally.

It's an old issue, I encounter it every day after work, just decided to report it today.

Re: v1.3.19 gets stuck after using RDP

Reply #1
Thanks for reporting.

Does this issue occur in 1.4 beta too?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
Haven't tried it yet. I'll try to reproduce it in the v1.4.0 beta today after work.

Reply #3
Yeah, it is easily reproducible with clean installation of the latest beta of the v1.4.0. I use Windows 7 with the latest updates on the host machine, and Windows 10 as a client. The sound is transferred through RDP when I connected to the host.

P.S. Also I have noticed that spectrum visualization on the toolbar looks a bit ugly now. In the v1.3.x it was like a native control, and now it doesn't fit standard Windows theme. Is it possible to restore standard border background of this control in the v1.4?

Reply #4
Thanks for the bug report.

The problem has been noted and reproduced, it's apparent on both Windows 7 and 10 hosts.

At least - despite of moderate annoyance factor - it does not have ill effect beyond the apparent ones, lets you stop and restart playback gracefully.

It will be addressed for the next update.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
Thank you. I hope that v1.3.x will also have this fix =) It is a really good idea to fix bugs in the v1.3.x for some time in spite of v1.4.x.

Reply #6
I don't know if the issue was fixed, but I observe the same behavior in the latest 1.5 beta after something plays some sound in exclusive mode. It is also easy to reproduce. At first, you need to allow exclusive mode:

Then, start playing some music in foobar2000.
Then, play a sound in exclusive mode using other software. For example, you can use this program for this purpose:
Code: [Select]
play-exclusive --file chimes.wav
When the sound is finished, the foobar2000 is stuck forever until you press "Stop" and "Play" buttons.

Reply #7
Should I create a separate topic for it, or the issue was noticed by the foobar2000 author?

Reply #8
Expected behavior: the player pauses itself when something enters exclusive mode. Then, when a user presses the "Play" button, the player starts to play music if the output is not in exclusive mode (otherwise, it pauses itself again).

Reply #9
No need for a new topic. Would be curious to know if you have the same problem on newer OSes. Over here on Windows 10 the playback halts for about three seconds and then resumes on its own. Tried with Asus sound card that runs on their custom drivers and integrated running on Microsoft High Definition Audio Device drivers.

Reply #10
I have similar issue but with other step to reproduce.

foobar hang if audio output doesn't exist anymore.

How to reproduce:
1. Connect to a PC using RDP (Remote Desktop).
2. Start playing in the foobar2000 via Remote Audio.
3. Press stop. Do not disconnect.
4. Log in on this machine physically.
5. Try change output (Remote Audio) to physical device -> foobar hang, so I need kill the process.