Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: using TAB character in the Pattern field of Automatically Fill Values (Read 1699 times) previous topic - next topic

using TAB character in the Pattern field of Automatically Fill Values

I had been trying to use TAB separator in the Pattern field of Automatically Fill Values using clipboard as the source, but can never get it to work

the copied properly edited tags (track number, title, artist, composer, arranger...etc) info from Excel are separated by tabs, so I was hoping to be able to specify TAB character in the Pattern field to directly use the info I have put in a spreadsheet. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to specify TAB character in Pattern field after days of trying. tried chr() and a bunch other tricks people had mentioned for windows title formatting, but none worked. they either broke Pattern field which produced weird results or got ignored in the final tagging

would appreciate if anyone can help or if it's possible to make a feature request for this (what's the process?)

Re: using TAB character in the Pattern field of Automatically Fill Values

Reply #1
What if you copy a tab character itself from a text field and paste it into the pattern? On my system it shows as a box.

Reply #2
What if you copy a tab character itself from a text field and paste it into the pattern? On my system it shows as a box.

thanks, this seemed to work after I updated to the latest FB2K

Reply #3
sorry, I take it back. it doesn't work. only the first TAB character is properly used. subsequent one causes incorrect parsing. it looks as if TAB characters are being treated as spaces, so fb2k is not able to differentiate it

for example, with below content where fields are separated by a space and a TAB (when copying from table or spreadsheet), parsed result only takes the texts before first space for title and gave the rest to Artist such that first track's Artist becomes
Code: [Select]
 NEVER AGAIN 	Artist1

Pattern
%tracknumber% 	%title% 	%artist%

Source in clipboard
01 	THIS NEVER AGAIN 	Artist1
02 that day!? Artist2
03 misunderstood but ok Artist3
04 princess dial Artist4

Reply #4
What if you worked it via excel first so as to be able to use something which can be recognized in automatically fill values. Change the tab character in excel into a unique character that is usable, have that unique character be used as separator.

Reply #5
You are right. As a workaround, maybe insert a column between each field (in Excel) containing a unique string. And use that as the separator.

Reply #6
You are right. As a workaround, maybe insert a column between each field (in Excel) containing a unique string. And use that as the separator.
Why so complicated? Just save the file as CSV formatted file with the relevant character as separator.

Reply #7
I guess I find different processes complicated, such as looking through the settings for this unusual option or installing a new spreadsheet program that has it, accepting its reduced performance and learning to use it, navigating to the directory where the CSV file is and copying its contents to the clipboard from Notepad. If the separator is limited to one character, it may still occur in some indie name.