Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speaker protection system (Read 3165 times) previous topic - next topic

Speaker protection system

I decided to build a good protection system for my speakers. Can somebody suggest me a good speaker protection system? Is it possible to use Varistors for protecting speakers against surge voltages?

Reply #1
Maybe consider a passive limiter or soft clip circuit on the power amp

Reply #2
I decided to build a good protection system for my speakers. Can somebody suggest me a good speaker protection system? Is it possible to use Varistors for protecting speakers against surge voltages?

Fuses work pretty good.

The varistor-like device that is used for speakers is called a polyswitch

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-p...ion-devices/307

Reply #3

Common sense seems to work pretty well. What exactly are you wanting protection from? Surges like lightening, or accidental high levels?

Varistors aren't very practical devices for speakers, voltage range isn't well suited, and once fried they do nothing.

Quad had an effective circuit for there ESL speakers with I think a triac that would ground the input above a certain voltage, but some amps didn't like it.

Fuse isn't a bad option, but to be effective might require a fuse for each driver. A thermal switch on the woofer might work as well. Weakness of a fuse is that it may not protect short duration or frequency specific overloads.